Jump to content

Process to GC from F1 Visa

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi! I am for now a F1 visa student and soon in my life I will marry my fiancé and wonder about the process after this, I know that the first thing to send is the AOS, but except this what other document do we need to do? To receive my EAD do we need to fill this out the same time as we do with the AOS document. What is the EAD document called? I-765? And how long is the process usually in Los Angeles for EAD card and GC? Can we do it directly after we've get married? Would be grateful for a lot of answers ! 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to follow this guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2


EAD (i-765) and AP (i-131) are sent in together with the i-130 and i-485. One check for the i-130 and another for i-485 + biometrics. I-131 and i-765 are for free.


It's recommended to file asap after the wedding, however, you need to wait for the marriage certificate. It takes about 8 weeks for the country clerk to record your marriage so you can get your marriage certificate. Someone mentioned somewhere that you can send a copy of the paper you get on your wedding day that has "customer copy" written all over it - I have no idea if that's good enough or not. We sent in a copy of the real marriage certificate, we were lucky as it "only" took 4 weeks for them to record our marriage.


EAD and AP takes about 4 months currently.


AOS takes roughly 7-8 months in Los Angeles right now, might be a longer or shorter wait when it's your turn to get an interview.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016 (260 days)

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017 (108 days)

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017 (132 days)

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017 (217 days)


ROC: 04-19-2019 earliest filing date


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.