AlexaT

AOS pending - question about healthcare, SSN and taxes

3 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Hi

I have read the pinned post but here is my problem:

I arrived here in March 2017 on a k1 visa and got married in May. From Jan to April I was benefitting from French unemployment (we are allowed to have it for 35 days outside of France). 

We are trying to get healthcare through covered california, they are asking if we will be filing jointly or separately and the amounts we will be declaring.

I have read the pinned post. As I do not yet have a EAD or green card, I do not have an SSN. I'm hoping to get my EAD pretty soon but I need to get my healthcare done before dec 15th (end of enrollment period).

What are my options? Do I declare the unemployment from Jan to April (approx 4000euros) ? I made 0 since then for obvious reasons. 

From what I understand we can only file jointly if I have an SSN and if we do I have to declare the unemployment in France for the first 4months.

If we file separately should I declare the 35 days of unemployment I benefitted from in April?

Regarding the healthcare situation can I edit my file if my situation changes (meaning if I get SSN and can then file jointly) or is my application final?

Thanks!

Edited by AlexaT

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I'm thinking of applying to healthcare as if I had an SSN number because our goal is to file jointly if I have it. I'm not sure how long itll take for me to get EAD and after that how long itll take for me to get SSN number?

Also not sure if it's a good idea to file for healthcare without actually having anything, but I'm scared of missing the enrollment period.

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.