CA1515

2017 Mexico I-601a waiver processing time

764 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
19 hours ago, jhigareda41 said:

Hi everyone I just received my i864 from my sponsor and am ready to mail out my AOS to the NVC next week. This is my final step and just want to make sure I don't mess up, can someone shed some light on my questions.

1. My uncle (sponsor) sent me all his financial info and he makes well over what is required. However I noticed that he included my aunts income for 2017 tax year. She only made about 2500 dollars. He sent me all his W2s to show his individual income. With my aunts income being barely anything in the sense that my uncles income is sufficient, did he need to send me an i864a for my aunt? 

2. Lastly, he did the i864 half typed and half handwritten, is this a big deal? Should it all been one or the other? Fyi his handwritten was not all caps either. 

I know i might be overthinking it but can someone help me!?:)

1)  It comes down to mainly two points : 1) how much money do they make and 2) how many people are your uncle and aunt supporting in their household.  If your uncle makes, for argument sake, $80k a year and has no children, then I wouldn't even bother with putting in the other 2500 from your aunt.  If your uncle makes $50k a year, and has four kids of his own....you'd probably want to throw in that 2500 just to be on the safe side.  There's a formula to this, but I didn't pay it much mind since I knew my income qualified well enough for the AOS.

2) So he filed out the paperwork himself...probably started it on a computer, printed it, then finished it in handwriting.  I wouldn't think it would be a problem unless he wrote in pencil, and not black ink.  

AoS is fairly simple, but who knows what kind of NVC officer is looking at these details.  I included all 2016, 2015, and 2014 information.  That's W2s and Federal Tax Returns for all three years.  NVC countered that I was missing the W2s from 2016, but scheduled the consulate appointment nonetheless, with the instructions to bring the W2s to the interview.  Well, I completed that AoS last year and now the 2017 tax year has been completed. I'm currently updating the AoS to show 2017 and removing 2014 altogether, and will have this present at the consulate interview.  

You're not overthinking it, you're just being cautious and making sure all your information is correct before sending this to the NVC.  

Good luck

17 minutes ago, Mansini77 said:

1)  It comes down to mainly two points : 1) how much money do they make and 2) how many people are your uncle and aunt supporting in their household.  If your uncle makes, for argument sake, $80k a year and has no children, then I wouldn't even bother with putting in the other 2500 from your aunt.  If your uncle makes $50k a year, and has four kids of his own....you'd probably want to throw in that 2500 just to be on the safe side.  There's a formula to this, but I didn't pay it much mind since I knew my income qualified well enough for the AOS.

2) So he filed out the paperwork himself...probably started it on a computer, printed it, then finished it in handwriting.  I wouldn't think it would be a problem unless he wrote in pencil, and not black ink.  

AoS is fairly simple, but who knows what kind of NVC officer is looking at these details.  I included all 2016, 2015, and 2014 information.  That's W2s and Federal Tax Returns for all three years.  NVC countered that I was missing the W2s from 2016, but scheduled the consulate appointment nonetheless, with the instructions to bring the W2s to the interview.  Well, I completed that AoS last year and now the 2017 tax year has been completed. I'm currently updating the AoS to show 2017 and removing 2014 altogether, and will have this present at the consulate interview.  

You're not overthinking it, you're just being cautious and making sure all your information is correct before sending this to the NVC.  

Good luck

Thank you for that, he does make well above the household without question, I just wanted to be sure they wouldn't need the 2500 from my aunt even though the instructions clearly say no i864a is needed if joint sponsor makes enough on their own. 

Lastly do you know if the nvc requires birth certificate/green card in other words proof of legal status from joint sponsor? Wouldn't tax records w2s and employment letter be enough?

Timeline
48 minutes ago, jhigareda41 said:

Thank you for that, he does make well above the household without question, I just wanted to be sure they wouldn't need the 2500 from my aunt even though the instructions clearly say no i864a is needed if joint sponsor makes enough on their own. 

Lastly do you know if the nvc requires birth certificate/green card in other words proof of legal status from joint sponsor? Wouldn't tax records w2s and employment letter be enough?

If the sponsor makes well above the required amount, no joint sponsor is needed.  The sole responsible person for your AoS is your uncle, not your aunt.

To the best of my knowledge, the NVC doesn't need your uncle's proof of legal status.  While in between our posts, I was updating my AoS, and I didn't come across anything that required birth certificates, etc.  Your uncle has supplied his SS number, along with his tax returns as evidence of his legal status and income.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to supply copies of a birth certificate or US passport, but I doubt it is needed.

8 minutes ago, Mansini77 said:

If the sponsor makes well above the required amount, no joint sponsor is needed.  The sole responsible person for your AoS is your uncle, not your aunt.

To the best of my knowledge, the NVC doesn't need your uncle's proof of legal status.  While in between our posts, I was updating my AoS, and I didn't come across anything that required birth certificates, etc.  Your uncle has supplied his SS number, along with his tax returns as evidence of his legal status and income.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to supply copies of a birth certificate or US passport, but I doubt it is needed.

Ah I see. Yeah personally i think it's a lot to ask of a joint sponsor that isn't your petitioner. That's all very personal and private information to just be tossing around. But I will send them either way just to be on the safe side. Thank you for chiming in, much appreciated !

When at the consular interview has anybody been asked for up to date/recent pay stubs of your sponsor for i864? I was wondering if they just require copies of the w2s tax transcripts etc that was submitted to NVC, since I know there can be a few months in between sending to NVC and then actual interview. I don't want them to delay my process for not bringing recent stubs.

Also, since uscis just updated the i864, but is still accepting old forms until may of 2018, do you guys thing I should make a new i864 for the interview or would the old ones still be okay since technically they received it within the time limit?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
3 hours ago, jhigareda41 said:

When at the consular interview has anybody been asked for up to date/recent pay stubs of your sponsor for i864? I was wondering if they just require copies of the w2s tax transcripts etc that was submitted to NVC, since I know there can be a few months in between sending to NVC and then actual interview. I don't want them to delay my process for not bringing recent stubs.

Also, since uscis just updated the i864, but is still accepting old forms until may of 2018, do you guys thing I should make a new i864 for the interview or would the old ones still be okay since technically they received it within the time limit?

Yes. You will need recent paystubs even if already sent in. Aside, Juarez is taking about 3-6 months from the date of civil documents, financial documents, and DS 260 submission before the interview date. We sent ours in beginning of December and our date is the end of this month. And, for the I864, it will depend on when your appointment is. If it is after May 2018, then you will bring the updated form.

19 minutes ago, AheartA said:

Yes. You will need recent paystubs even if already sent in. Aside, Juarez is taking about 3-6 months from the date of civil documents, financial documents, and DS 260 submission before the interview date. We sent ours in beginning of December and our date is the end of this month. And, for the I864, it will depend on when your appointment is. If it is after May 2018, then you will bring the updated form.

Thank you for the info. I figured as much with the pay stubs but didn't think they would need the updated form of i864 since it's essentially going to be the same information on it. I have heard of taking an updated i864 only if there is a financial change such as new job or different income etc. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
20 hours ago, jhigareda41 said:

Thank you for the info. I figured as much with the pay stubs but didn't think they would need the updated form of i864 since it's essentially going to be the same information on it. I have heard of taking an updated i864 only if there is a financial change such as new job or different income etc. 

Our main reason for taking it is that our appointment is after April, meaning, it is a new tax year and different amount of income.

@AheartA I think I see what you mean.  We submitted tax transcripts for 2015, 2016, and we filed 2017 already so we sent that one in too. If I'm understanding you right, our appt is definitely going to be after April, then we wouldn't need an updated i864 since we filed for 2017 already and there wouldn't be any new income besides updated check stubs. Also what I want to know is if we are going to need to redo an AOS on the new edition form simply because it's the new edition, or the old edition form we submitted is still valid up to the date of the interview. Sorry if I'm going around in circles just want to get some solid personal advice from anyone on this forum. Thanks 

On 4/3/2018 at 2:15 AM, Mary88 said:

Hello Everyone,

I have a question. My husbands Waiver was send out on August 18th. He  had his fingerprints taken on Sep. 21  and we have been waiting for his I-601a to be approve but haven’t  heard anything yet. Is anyone’s case taking this long? It’s been 7 months 

I have been waiting for about 10 months now. Every case is different.

Timeline

Hello all, 

Did anyone mark yes when the ds260 ask to apply for the social security number for you? What was your experience with this? Is it better just to go to the S.S office ourselves? 

6 hours ago, Scajer25 said:

Hello all, 

Did anyone mark yes when the ds260 ask to apply for the social security number for you? What was your experience with this? Is it better just to go to the S.S office ourselves? 

I put yes to this. But I couldn’t tell you my experience yet since our process is almost around the same time 😬 

Has your husband gone to his biometrics appt? 🙏🏻

Timeline
3 hours ago, mommyo2life said:

I put yes to this. But I couldn’t tell you my experience yet since our process is almost around the same time 😬 

Has your husband gone to his biometrics appt? 🙏🏻

Yes, he did it on 4/5. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.