CA1515

2017 Mexico I-601a waiver processing time

764 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 12/18/2017 at 4:47 PM, AheartA said:

You probably could. A power of attorney is a power of attorney. The special thing about the Mexico consulate is they verify that you are indeed from Mexico, but are indeed here in the USA. Are you contacting Mexitel to schedule an appointment? I hear it is easier to receive an appointment from them (I have never personally done this, but it has been recommended to me). You may not need an appointment (at least we don't have to have one at our local Mexican consulate). My recommendation is to contact the local fiscalia general del estado (FGE) in Mexico. You can google their location with phone number. This is where you will be able to get la carta (o certificado de no antecedentes penales (police certificate). We were told to get the carta de no poder (power of attorney) from the Mexican consulate here in the US, send this to Mexico for a family member to obtain, and for them to send the carta de no antecedentes penales back.

DO NOT STRESS IT! If you are unable to obtain a police certificate from Mexico, you may send a letter with your civil documents to the NVC stating that you are unable to obtain a police certificate and will present at the interview. Contact the NVC for more information on what to include.

We were able to send my hubby's certificado de no antecedentes penales with our civil documents. BUT, I have seen (in FB groups) that most either obtain a federal police certificate in Juarez OR leave early to their hometown (if this was the only state they lived in since age 16 for 6 months or greater) and obtain the carta from their local FGE, presenting them at the interview.

It is hard not to get frustrated over this. I tried Mexitel. No luck. Not sure what to do anymore other than getting power of attorney somewhere else and just getting fingerprints done at the consulate (which apparently you do not need an appointment for, you just walk in). 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, maryLu said:

Ask your family member in Mexico if the police over there will release the clearance with a POA  done at a public notary and  with an apostille.  

They tried already but no luck, they said they need fingerprints and POA. :(

Filed: Other Country: Romania
Timeline
1 minute ago, CA1515 said:

It is hard not to get frustrated over this. I tried Mexitel. No luck. Not sure what to do anymore other than getting power of attorney somewhere else and just getting fingerprints done at the consulate (which apparently you do not need an appointment for, you just walk in). 

I would just walk in the consulate first thing when they open and stay there until they do it. Is your right as a Mexican citizen to get this clearance.

Hi, Everyone! 

I am new to this page and I find a lot of comments very helpful. I just need to ask a question about when relatives/ friends write their support letter do they need to be notorized and a photo of their license in order to send the visa package? Some of my relatives have gave me back their letters but are not notorized yet and I just want to make sure before I send the package. Thank you any help will be great ! 

Dec 22,2017

On 12/19/2017 at 3:29 PM, EZ R said:

My husbands waiver was received on September 14th 2017, I’ve seen a lot of August waivers approved on a Fb page I follow.:)

Hopefully we will hear something soon, this whole process is nerve wrecking.:wacko:

Hi, do would you mind telling us the Fb page that you follow 😃 please and thank you I think that will help many other people. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, mommyo2life said:

Okay thank you for answering. So they were accepted that way and you got approved ? 

Hi. 

The packet got accepted,  I don't know if it was approved yet. Still waiting. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, 

I am new to this forum and was hoping someone can clarify something for me. I am a member on a different forum and have not heard of having to send police certificates with the I601a waiver until I came across it on this thread. 

We submitted our waiver Nov 14, 2017(no lawyer) and now I am confused about whether the police certificates were supposed to be mailed or taken to the consulate appt. Also, is the NVC or the consulate requiring these police clearances from beneficiaries that have resided in the USA since they were brought as children? I have been here since the age of 2 and have had no other re-entry. Would I still need to take a Police certificate from MEX? 

I was thinking of taking evidence (school reports kinder-college) to the consulate appt to prove that I have been in the US this whole time, along with our local county certificate, any thoughts input would be greatly appreciated. 

Happy new year to all. 

Edited by jhigareda41

Timeline
4 hours ago, jhigareda41 said:

Hi all, 

I am new to this forum and was hoping someone can clarify something for me. I am a member on a different forum and have not heard of having to send police certificates with the I601a waiver until I came across it on this thread. 

We submitted our waiver Nov 14, 2017(no lawyer) and now I am confused about whether the police certificates were supposed to be mailed or taken to the consulate appt. Also, is the NVC or the consulate requiring these police clearances from beneficiaries that have resided in the USA since they were brought as children? I have been here since the age of 2 and have had no other re-entry. Would I still need to take a Police certificate from MEX? 

I was thinking of taking evidence (school reports kinder-college) to the consulate appt to prove that I have been in the US this whole time, along with our local county certificate, any thoughts input would be greatly appreciated. 

Happy new year to all. 

You do not need to submit police reports with the waiver. Once you get your biometreic appointment they will take your fingerprints and  you will have a background check done. Since you have been here since you were 2 you don;t need a police clearance from Mexico. You need a police clearance for every country you have lived in for more than six months over the age of 16. and this clearance is needed at the NVC stage of the process or at the consular interview.

Hope this helps.

11 minutes ago, maryLu said:

You do not need to submit police reports with the waiver. Once you get your biometreic appointment they will take your fingerprints and  you will have a background check done. Since you have been here since you were 2 you don;t need a police clearance from Mexico. You need a police clearance for every country you have lived in for more than six months over the age of 16. and this clearance is needed at the NVC stage of the process or at the consular interview.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply  that makes a lot more sense now. Do you know if they want sheriff's and police certificates ?

Timeline

They will automatically run a background check once your fingerprints are taken. There is nothing else to submit, at least nothing that I am aware of. I believe that the background check is FBI and DOJ.

Timeline
On 12/30/2017 at 7:59 PM, jhigareda41 said:

Hi all, 

Happy new year to all. 

Hi jhigareda41,

I concur with MaryLu, in your position, you don't have to worry about the Police Certificate.  Since you have not lived in your native country over the age of 16, it won't be needed.  Your I-601A has one purpose, to prove extreme hardship to the petitioner should his/her spouse be forced to leave the United States and not gain reentry from the 5/10 year bar.  USCIS should have assigned you a case number regarding your I-601A application.  They should have mailed you by now a Form i-797C, which is an appointment with your local Application Support Center to do your fingerprints to check your criminal history here in the United States.  That appointment for the ASC is the only needed background check for you, since you've been here mostly your entire life...unless you committed a serious felony before the age of 2, which I'm going to guess is no.  

We(my spouse and I) are not in the exact same position you are, so I wouldn't want to steer you in the wrong direction.  I'd advise to speak to an immigration attorney about how to go about your specific case regarding being in the United States since the age of 2.  In the meanwhile, I'd also recommend gathering all the supporting evidence you can.  School records, dental and health records, bank statements, whatever has your name on a piece of paper that goes back as far as possible.

Timeline

Has anyone who has their I-601A approved lately received a letter or an email from the NVC about a scheduled US Consulate appointment(specifically Juarez)?  I called the NVC, and spoke to a representative over the phone about our case status a few weeks ago.  While he did confirm they got "a letter", which was the Police Certificate evidence the NVC requested early in December, he wouldn't comment any further on our case.  Simply "You're waiting".  Which then I would grind my teeth and say "Well, is there any timeline of..." to which he interrupts by repeating "You're waiting".  I know, NVC agents probably get bombarded with case status questions on the when where and whys all the time.  The NVC agent probably wasn't in a position to exactly give me an approximate date of a US Consulate interview because he wouldn't want to give me false information based on just his educated guess.  I suppose we all have to be a little more patient, but knowing is strength and confidence, not knowing is anxiety and stressful.  I'm sure many NVC agents have taken time off for the holidays, so processing might be slow the past few weeks.  With the holidays in the rear view mirror, hopefully we'll get our answers soon.

It's a new year and I hoping the best for everyone involved in this thread, as we're all in the same immigration situations for the most part.  It's comforting knowing there are others out there going through the same that my spouse and I have been through the past year or so.  I realize none of us here are immigration lawyers, but we can give each other valuable information regarding our cases, which can help others who might go through with the same process.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.