ROMEO880

K1 Marriage Ended

3 posts in this topic

Visa Journey Community,

I am a US citizen who applied for K1 visa for someone who I was engaged with. He came to US on the K1 visa and we got married here in the US. Upon getting married, he received his SS and Work Permit. However prior to applying for 2 year GC, I started noticing that he was cheating on me and his obvious intentions was to only marry me for GC. The marriage didn't work and he end up leaving the country as I denied to file for his 2 year conditional GC. Upon returning back to his country, he sent me legal divorce paper stating that he from his side is ending the marriage.

Question 1: What do I have to do to file for divorce in the US court system? What type of documents do I need to provide, where should I go to file for divorce is the US system?

Question 2: How can I contact ICE to report him and make sure he doesn't screw up someone else life?

I would appreciate if someone here can answer my questions without picking on the relationship.

Thanks

21 minutes ago, MB2017 said:

Visa Journey Community,

I am a US citizen who applied for K1 visa for someone who I was engaged with. He came to US on the K1 visa and we got married here in the US. Upon getting married, he received his SS and Work Permit. However prior to applying for 2 year GC, I started noticing that he was cheating on me and his obvious intentions was to only marry me for GC. The marriage didn't work and he end up leaving the country as I denied to file for his 2 year conditional GC. Upon returning back to his country, he sent me legal divorce paper stating that he from his side is ending the marriage.

Question 1: What do I have to do to file for divorce in the US court system? What type of documents do I need to provide, where should I go to file for divorce is the US system?

Question 2: How can I contact ICE to report him and make sure he doesn't screw up someone else life?

I would appreciate if someone here can answer my questions without picking on the relationship.

Thanks

No idea about Question 1 but for Question 2, there's nothing ICE will or can do about this fraudster because he's not currently present illegally in the US. Sorry to hear about your misfortune though :(

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

The answer to question one is going to depend on which US state you are in (which you omitted from your post). If he's started divorce proceedings in his own country things might be more complicated. How that works will depend on which country he is in (and you haven't stated that either). If asking for specific advice, you need to supply much more specific information about your situation else no one is going to be able to advise you.

In terms of question 2, he isn't in the USA, so ICE will have no interest in him. If he attempts to file again (eg finds someone else for a new k1) then USCIS is going to see his previous k1 in their system, and the failed marriage. That won't make it impossible for him to get another k1, but its going to be more difficult (again, it may depend to an extent on which country he is from - the bar is probably set higher in some countries where its considered people are more likely to marry for a green card).

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.