8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey im from the UK and came to the US on the K1. I have filed for the AOS which got sent back because i forgot to sign it like a fool. 

Either way i have now received a letter saying my birth certificate wasn't sufficient. I didn't even send them a copy it was my original. Why would this not be the right thing? It's government issued on their special paper and everything. What more can I do because i know they wont look at it again and admit they have made a mistake. 

I've had it up to my eyeballs with this process and i need something to go right for me. 

Has anyone else had the same experience or do I need to put it down to human error that they wont admit to and will expect me to fix their mistake? 

I could do without the ####### to be honest. I have had it real tough since the day i arrived, so much so that i would use it as my sob story if i was going on Americas got talent. 

Please help a very frustrated prisioner of the US immigration

Tia

Timeline

It doesnt state what is wrong with it. They got the packet all together and it was an original not a copy so it shouldn't be a case of its not readable. It makes no sense, why send me for the biometrics appointment when they don't even have faith that my birth cert if sufficent. 

It's a load of rubbish. I was hoping they would skip my interview but they definitely won't now. 

It's not as easy as just sending them another one unfortunately, the one i sent was the original. I know i have to reply otherwise they will deny it which is ridiculous, probably just another way to get money. It's frustrating because i know people that came in on the K1 and are working illegally but i do everything by the book, and get this sort of nonsense back. 

I'm sorry I am just literally at the end of my patients at the moment. I sort one thing and another thing comes up. It's too much for me to cope with and America's immigration will he the straw that breaks the camel's back :'(

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

It may be difficult for you to deal with immigration but try to put it in perspective, you are here with the person you love. 

So many of us are frustrated with immigration because our visas were not approved and we aren't together. 

Yes it's a lot of paperwork. Yes it doesn't make sense, none of us know what they want. But try to be grateful for what you DO have. 

I agree, I would gladly swap places with you and tolerate the paperwork rather than being apart from my husband.

As for the birth certificate, couldn't you call them and ask for clarification?

*hug*

If you could tell us the exact wording of the letter they sent you?

I would try calling them, it might be fruitless but worth a try. I've seen that people have sometimes received letters incorrectly in other situations as the result of a glitch, whilst I haven't heard of that happening in regards to the kind of RFE you describe it's always possible. Perhaps they spilt coffee over half of it...

At the same time I would start the process of obtaining an additional birth certificate or two.  There's an option to do that online, although not sure if they'll send it overseas or not. I got an extra birth certificate back when I was immigrating, in that case I think I got one of my parents to go to the registry office and get it.

Timeline

Hey thanks Joanna for your response :)

I have heard of them sending rfe for things that they don't need. Just its the first time i have heard of the birth cert not being sufficent. The letter is currently at the mother in laws so i will be sure to update you with exactly what it says when she brings it over. 

I really would also like to clarify for anyone who thinks i am ungrateful that this is not the only issue I am having. I have had serious issues with my health since the moment i got here resulting i a long hospital stay and multiple surgeries that are still affecting my life to this day. I have financial worries because my insurance incorrectly denied $78,000 worth of medical bills which i have been fighting since March to get sorted. I have immigration worries, financial worries, health concerns, im home sick and i feel I have been a pathetic excuse for a wife so far. This is not how we planned it to be. I am not losing my sh*t because of one simple form guys which is why I said about immigration will be the straw that breaks the camel's back. 

Also please dont forget i have been separated from my wife before so i know how it feels and now i am separated from my mum and dad. We are extremely close so i know the pain of being away from the ones you love. 

I can't get on a flight and see my parents because one i cant get my damn travel permit and 2 I cant fly with the amount of pain I would be in for 11 hours.

Being here not being able to do anything because of health or my immigration status is frustrating and driving me insane. I'm trying to keep it together and i know i have done it for the right reason but it doesn't make the situation any less difficult 

Hey, I can't say without knowing what the RFE specifically states but it does sound to me like they may have made a mistake. Generally, not in all cases, a British birth certificate is more than adequate especially when going through the AOS via the original K1.

I would strongly suggest that once you've received your letter you call them. I called them a couple of times about mine and they were very helpful, mine was not RFE related but still, they may be able to shed some light.

Someone mentioned tongue in cheek about coffee being spilt on it, you know, this wouldn't surprise me.

You have had a torrid time with the immigration process and life in America must seem pretty grim, homesickness on top of illness on top of stress on top of being at the end of your tether would be enough to break any camel's back. I promise once you get over this "hump" (pun intended!), and once you have your green card, you will massively feel better and this won't seem as bad. I promise.

I don't understand an original British birth certificate being invalid, so I would definitely call them up because getting an affidavit from your parents could possibly take too long.

Good luck.

I will not look back on this journey with fond memories, but I will look back knowing that every step was worth it, whatever the outcome.

K-1

Spoiler

I-129f sent - December 30 2015
NOA1 received - January 4 2016
Hard copy received - January 11 2016
RFE notice - February 29 2016 (56 days)
Hard copy received - March 4 2016
RFE receipt - March 09 2016 (9 days)

NOA2 received - March 16 2016 (72 days from NOA1)

NVC received - April 06 2016 (21 days from NOA2)

Medical - April 15 2016

Packet 3 received - April 16 2016

Interview - June 01 2016 (wedding postponed) - APPROVED!!

Visa in hand - June 09 2016

Flying home - June 17 2016 - POE JFK - check out my POE review for details

Wedding - July 14 2016

AOS

I-485 - 08/24/16

NOA1 - 09/01/16 Biometrics - 09/26/16

EAD - 11/04/16

AP - 11/05/16

Card delivered - 11/19/16

Driving license - 11/30/16

New job - 12/01/16

I-485 approved - 02/10/17 - Interview waived

ROC

I-751 - 11/30/18

NOA1 - 01/25/19

Biometrics - 07/01/19

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.