rpiuek

Police Certificate and Medical Query - UK

20 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on when the most ideal time to order the police certificate would be please? Is there a particular time frame it needs to cover? For example, my fiance is about to file in August, should I do it straight away or wait until I receive one of the NOA's? 

My other question relates the medical requirements, does anyone know where you had to go for this and how much it cost roughly? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

After NOA2 was when I did it, I think the embassy wanted one issued in the last six months so with processing times being how they are I'd order it around then, it only took me a week to get mine. Have a look at the form to apply for one earlier and make sure you've got all the data in front of you. You'll need a lot of the same information for your DS160 so having it printed out can be a handy aide memoire. 

*~*~*country-specific question moved from "K-1 fiancé visa processes and procedures" to United Kingdom regional sub-forum*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, rpiuek said:

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on when the most ideal time to order the police certificate would be please? Is there a particular time frame it needs to cover? For example, my fiance is about to file in August, should I do it straight away or wait until I receive one of the NOA's? 

My other question relates the medical requirements, does anyone know where you had to go for this and how much it cost roughly? 

The UK police certificate is valid for 12 months. You will find a great deal of information if you read all the K1 visa instruction links on the London Embassy website https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/applying-for-the-visa/

Timeline
8 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

The UK police certificate is valid for 12 months. You will find a great deal of information if you read all the K1 visa instruction links on the London Embassy website https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/applying-for-the-visa/

i stand corrected about the police certificate!

Not sure about K1 requirements or timeline but CR1/IR1 medical costs about 300 pounds + any additional shots you are missing.  Here's their price list : http://www.visamedicals.info/us-price.asp

NVC Process Guide for UK:  NVC Process (timelines, numbers, documents, steps)  

_______________________________________________________________________________________

TIMELINE (CR1 Spouse Visa)
USCIS Phase (Married in England September 3, 2016!)
Spoiler
  • 09-22-2016:  I-130 Mailed to Chicago Lockbox (USPS Priority)
  • 09-25-2016:  USPS Priority delivery confirmation
  • 09-26-2016:  Priority date assigned (USC Spouse)
  • 09-28-2016:  I-797C NOA1 Email/Text received, check cashed; case sent to Nebraska Service Center
  • 10-03-2016:  I-797C NOA1 Hardcopy received
  • 02-15-2017:  Case transferred to Texas Service Center
  • 03-16-2017:  NOA2 Approval Date
  • 03-22-2017:  USCIS sent case to NVC, Case Status changed to "We sent your case to the Department of State for visa processing"
  • 03-23-2017:  NOA2 Harcdopy received

NVC Phase

Spoiler
  • 03-30-2017:  Case Received By NVC
  • 04-04-2017:  Case # and IIN Assigned (called NVC to confirm)
  • 04-05-2017:  DS-261 unlocked & completed, called NVC and reviewed over the phone (IV fee will unlock after a week)
  • 04-06-2017:  Received NVC Welcome Letter via Email, AOS Fee unlocked & paid online
  • 04-07-2017:  Called NVC again and rep stated DS 261 was not actually reviewed.  Re-reviewed DS-261
  • 04-11-2017:  Welcome Letter email received, IV Fee unlocked & paid online
  • 04-13-2017:  DS-260 unlocked
  • 04-14-2017:  DS-260 submitted
  • 04-30-2017:  Affidavit of Support/Documents sent via Fedex Priority Overnight (sent Sunday, to be delivered Tuesday)
  • 05-02-2017:  Affidavit of Support/Documents delivered to NVC
  • 05-04-2017:  Document Scan Date
  • 06-28-2017:  Checklist for Court Records (even though beneficiary has never been to court); escalated to Supervisor who requested case files
  • 07-03-2017:  CASE COMPLETE!!!  Called NVC on July 5 and representative confirmed status
  • 07-11-2017:  Case Complete email confirmation received
  • 07-13-2017:  NVC rep confirmed Interview Date assigned
  • 07-14-2017:  Email confirmation of Interview
  • 07-20-2017:  11 Week (77 day) expected Case Complete from Scan Date (5/4/2017)
  • 07-21-2017:  Appointment with General Practitioner to get all required shots and medical history
  • 08-01-2017,   1:10PM:  Immigration medical with Knighstbridge Doctors in London
  • 08-11-2017:  Medical files received by Consulate
  • 08-16-2017, 12:30PM:  Interview in London!!
  • 08-17-2017:  Visa status changed to Administrative Processing, then several hours later to "Issued"
  • 08-22-2017:  Passport with Visa delivered (paid for home delivery); paid immigration fee and added case to MyUSCIS for alerts
  • 11-18-2017:  Point of Entry at JFK in NYC!!! 

TIMELINE (I-751 Removal of Conditions for Spouse)
USCIS Phase 
Spoiler
  • 10-08-2019:  I-751 Mailed to Dallas USCIS PO Box (USPS Flat Rate Box)
  • 10-11-2019:  USPS delivery confirmation
  • 10-16-2019:  Text received confirming receipt number; case found in MyUSCIS system several hours later
  • 10-17-2019:  Check cashed by USCIS
  • 10-21-2019:  I-797 NOA received (Notice Date: 10/16) of acceptance
  • 11-01-2019:  I-797C NOA received (Notice Date: 10/25) for Biometrics appointment
  • 11-12-2019:  Biometrics completed
  • 11-13-2019:  Case status changed to “Fingerprint Review Was Completed”
  • 12-24-2019:  Case status changed to “Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken”
  • 05-27-2020:  Case status changed to “Case is Ready to be Scheduled for An Interview”
  • 04-22-2021:  Infopass appointment scheduled and extension stamp provided
  • 07-12-2021:  Inquiry submitted to USCIS for case beyond normal processing times (reply expected by 8/3)
  • 03-09-2022:  Received email response to inquiry from 7/12/22 restating status with no updates provided
  • 09-16-2022:  Inquiry submitted to USCIS for case beyond normal processing times
  • 10-17-2022:  Requested assistance from local Congressman
  • 11-28-2022:  Congressman's office received USCIS statement that "application has been identified as a potential interview waiver application"
  • 03-27-2023:  USCIS Requested additional evidence "as it has been several years since you've submitted this petition" 
  • 05-13-2023:  Sent RFE response via USPS certified Priority mail
  • 05-17-2023:  USCIS received RFE packet
  • 05-19-2023:  USCIS case status updated to “New Card is Being Produced" 
  • 05-22-2023:  USCIS case status updated to “Case Was Approved" 
  • 05-24-2023:  USCIS case status updated to reflect new Green Card was mailed
  • 05-25-2023:  USCIS case status updated to “Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office" 

19 minutes ago, JessieABC said:

Not sure about K1 requirements or timeline but CR1/IR1 medical costs about 300 pounds + any additional shots you are missing.  Here's their price list : http://www.visamedicals.info/us-price.asp

K1 applicants pay exactly same price as CR1/IR1 

Hi all, 

Thank you so much for the links and the guidance, it is appreciated. 

One thing that I've seen mentioned a few times is the DS160, is this for when I apply for a change of immigration status from the States once married? I'll admit to not having read that far ahead yet as I'm still getting everything straight for the submission of the K1. 

Thanks,

Timeline

The DS160 you can complete when you've got official notification of your LND case number and you track it on CEAC and it shows a status of "Ready". The DS160 is the official visa application form for the K1 Visa (and is used for a lot of other visa categories too, but I digress), the I-129F was the petition being ruled on and an approved I-129F is the basis for which you then apply for the K1 visa

Timeline
2 hours ago, rpiuek said:

Hi all, 

Thank you so much for the links and the guidance, it is appreciated. 

One thing that I've seen mentioned a few times is the DS160, is this for when I apply for a change of immigration status from the States once married? I'll admit to not having read that far ahead yet as I'm still getting everything straight for the submission of the K1. 

Thanks,

It goes like this--

1. US person submits a Petition for Alien Fiancé packet. That theoretically is not "submitting a K1" even though everybody says that. It is the first step to getting a K1 that establishes the US person is allowed to bring a fiancé over. This step is with  the USCIS.
  2. Approved petition gets handed off to the Dept of State who can issue a visa. The handoff is at the National Visa Center (NVC). They will give you a new case number and forward the case on to their consulate in London who will handle the visa part. This step at NVC is with the Dept of State. 
  3. Case File arrives in London. (That link I gave tells about this part.) Time for the UK person to actually apply for the K1 Visa.. The DS-160 is the application form. A medical is required in London. UK person also gathers documents to show at the interview like a police certificate,  birth certificate, affidavit of support from the American fiancé.  Interview is at US Embassy in London. Yay, you got the visa!👍 This step is with the Dept of State.
  4. UK person heads to the USA. Visa is over the day he enters. He can't go home and use it again. ☹️ One use for a 90 day entry. He marries his US person❤️. He is a "nothing" at that point except a newlywed. But he can apply for a work permit and a greencard. That is called Adjustment of Staus because he wants to change his status from visa holder to greencard holder (permanent resident). That goes to USCIS. He can also stay past the 90 days to wait on a decision. He may or may not be called for an interview. 
Edited by Wuozopo

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Mgregg85 said:

What's the average time between the medical appointment and the interview?

You pick your appointment once you have made a medical appointment and have all your interview documents, so it's up to you how long in between. You need to allow about a week in between so your medical results arrive before your appointment day. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Wuozopo said:

You pick your appointment once you have made a medical appointment and have all your interview documents, so it's up to you how long in between. You need to allow about a week in between so your medical results arrive before your appointment day. 

Alright, is their schedule pretty full normally?  For the interview I mean.   

I ask because my fiancée lives in Scotland and has bad anxiety.   I'm going to fly over and take her to London for the medical and it would be much easier if she could do the interview in the same visit.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.