Peot

I-134 co-sponsor - Who fills out form?

2 posts in this topic

Hi, this has likely been answered a lot, but I couldn't find the answer to this specific scenario through searching. There are just too many topics over too many years here.

We have finally found a friend (actually a married couple) willing to co-sponsor us! They file their taxes jointly as they are married, and as such their tax transcript would show it is a joint filing. I know that only one person needs to appear on the I-134. That much I'm aware from reading through topics here and happens all the time when parents co-sponsor.

So to keep it short, will it need to be the person with the employer on the form, or will tax transcripts (joint filed) be enough for evidence?

The wife, our friend, does not make enough on her own. The husband, who we've never met, makes easily $54,000 per year.

The required evidence as per the info page appears to be a statement from employer. It doesn't mention tax documents at all unless self-employed. If the wife fills out the form but the statement of the employer is for the husband, will this be adequate if they see the taxes are also filed jointly and submitted as evidence, or will the husband have to be the one to fill out the form?

Will the letter from the employer be required at all if we can show the last years tax transcripts for this co-sponsor?

It's not that the husband can't fill out the form, but it was the wife that offered us her help, so we'd prefer it if she was the one to do the signing and info. We're friends with the wife, and have never ever met the husband. That's why this is a bit awkward to ask him.

We have decided to advise the husband to fill out the paperwork. He would also be the one including his employment letter, pay stubs, etc..

They would STILL be submitting the last year's tax transcript and W2s.

Hopefully this is the right move to make.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.