kaygee

Any similar experiences on returned cases?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello VJ members,

I did file for a CR1 for my spouse and a 221g was issued at the interview in 2015  . Case returned to USCIS via NVC. I sent more evidences showing proof of existing and ongoing relationship with my spouse. I made requests via congressional and ombudsman for information regarding my case. On the status of the case online, it read as my case is still being reviewed. This message has been there since October of 2016. I decided to book an info pass to speak to a USCIS official about the case last month. 

The USCIS officer told me my case has been reaffirmed and sent to the NVC. I waited a month and checked again on the status online from the USCIS website. It still has the October 2016 information stating that its being reviewed. I happen to check again on the CEAC website at the consulate on status of the case and it says " case reopened and case currently at the consulate" ,  I called the NVC last week and they said they have not received the reaffirmed package from the USCIS. Also I have not officially received any letter from the USCIS that the case has been reaffirmed except being told at the info pass appointment.

My question is:

Is it the norm for VJ members whose returned applications has been reaffirmed? And is it possible a case file can be sent to the consulate without passing through the NVC

I appreciate your response . 

Thanks

Is it the norm for VJ members whose returned applications has been reaffirmed?

I think you case is still at USCIS and has not been sent out to NVC, probably waiting for an immigration officer to adjudicate the case before it can move to the next step (NVC).

Call USCIS again and ask them the exact date your case was reaffirmed and when it was sent out to NVC.

And is it possible a case file can be sent to the consulate without passing through the NVC?

NO. I am sure there is no instance a case will be sent to the embassy without going thru NVC. Even though it is a reaffirmed case it needs to go back to NVC for them to update their system (every case returned to NVC from embassy is deemed fraud and logged into the FBI database as such, however if USCIS proves otherwise NVC will need to change that statement in the FBI database before returning the case to the embassy) Any immigration petition that requires the issuance of a visa will have to go thru the National Visa Center, it is the only way the state department keeps track of the global US visa applications process.

In a nutshell your case is still with USCIS or in transit to NVC. The CEAC update doesn't mean much, i think it is automatic update to all cases sent back to USCIS and over 1 year, if you email the US embassy you will be informed there is no update on your case in Accra.

- Good Luck

Timeline
On 7/8/2017 at 7:51 AM, Kofi_Adjoa said:

Is it the norm for VJ members whose returned applications has been reaffirmed?

I think you case is still at USCIS and has not been sent out to NVC, probably waiting for an immigration officer to adjudicate the case before it can move to the next step (NVC).

Call USCIS again and ask them the exact date your case was reaffirmed and when it was sent out to NVC.

And is it possible a case file can be sent to the consulate without passing through the NVC?

NO. I am sure there is no instance a case will be sent to the embassy without going thru NVC. Even though it is a reaffirmed case it needs to go back to NVC for them to update their system (every case returned to NVC from embassy is deemed fraud and logged into the FBI database as such, however if USCIS proves otherwise NVC will need to change that statement in the FBI database before returning the case to the embassy) Any immigration petition that requires the issuance of a visa will have to go thru the National Visa Center, it is the only way the state department keeps track of the global US visa applications process.

In a nutshell your case is still with USCIS or in transit to NVC. The CEAC update doesn't mean much, i think it is automatic update to all cases sent back to USCIS and over 1 year, if you email the US embassy you will be informed there is no update on your case in Accra.

- Good Luck

Question.  We were just recently reaffirmed w our case returned to the embassy in Ghana. When I go to the ceac site it says our application has expired but with an updated of July 5, 2017 (as I updated the application). Shud I be worried about this expiration thing ?

1 hour ago, dmh59 said:

Question.  We were just recently reaffirmed w our case returned to the embassy in Ghana. When I go to the ceac site it says our application has expired but with an updated of July 5, 2017 (as I updated the application). Shud I be worried about this expiration thing ?

Prior to you updating your application on 7/5/17 did 1 year pass with no communication with NVC?

Normally CR1/IR1 visa petitions DO NOT expire as long as you contact NVC once a year in regards to the petition. If you called NVC within the last year to inquire about the status of your case, I will not worry about the update on CEAC webpage.

However it will not hurt to call NVC and ask them why your case status says expired.

- Good Luck

Timeline

contact your congressman to find out where your case is at. or you can keep calling them until you get your answers. The USCIS website doesn't update all the time but ceac does update accurately.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Timeline
2 hours ago, IcezMan_IcezLady said:

contact your congressman to find out where your case is at. or you can keep calling them until you get your answers. The USCIS website doesn't update all the time but ceac does update accurately.

I wrote to the Embassy on 6/29/17 w/no response as of yet.  My congressman wrote to the Embassy on 7/6/17 w/no response of as yet either (today being 7/10).    My husband called and they told him he had to email.

Timeline
3 hours ago, dmh59 said:

I wrote to the Embassy on 6/29/17 w/no response as of yet.  My congressman wrote to the Embassy on 7/6/17 w/no response of as yet either (today being 7/10).    My husband called and they told him he had to email.

But has your case updated on ceac website?

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Timeline
13 minutes ago, IcezMan_IcezLady said:

But has your case updated on ceac website?

My case was updated on July 6, 2017 but I assumed that's becuz I went in and updated the application.   Still says expired on top but my attorney said not to worry about that.   Your thoughts?

Edited by dmh59

Timeline
19 minutes ago, dmh59 said:

My case was updated on July 6, 2017 but I assumed that's becuz I went in and updated the application.   Still says expired on top but my attorney said not to worry about that.   Your thoughts?

Ok so I just now called nvc and they looked and said Accra has not received our case yet - said could b anytime and once received they'll reach out to us.  I questioned him on the ceac site and he said don't worry about that cuz the site is not always updated.  This is stressing me out.

Timeline
21 minutes ago, dmh59 said:

Ok so I just now called nvc and they looked and said Accra has not received our case yet - said could b anytime and once received they'll reach out to us.  I questioned him on the ceac site and he said don't worry about that cuz the site is not always updated.  This is stressing me out.

I was a little confused. Because I thought NVC couldn't tell you where the case was. OK.. So looks like your case was reaffirmed without NOIR.. Congratulations!

Follow lutz their case also got reaffirmed without NOIR. I think her timeline might be helpful to you since you both got denied in the same year around same time.

Give it a little bit of time. Then start emailing the embassy. Note that the embassy may not reply to your first or second or even 10th email but don't give up.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.