Our Mao

My Interview at Montreal on Friday, Apr 13th

31 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks so much for your review! Have added Kelly Osbourne to my husbands list!..LOL already had the "lady with the black curly hair" before...

it seems like once you get passed them everyone else is very nice...

again Congrats!

Kimmbo (Las Vegas,NV,USA)

Barry (Brampton,ON,CANADA)

Im an American married to a Canadian, I have no kids, yet Im a grandmother, I can pick things up off the floor with my toes

I-130

----------------

Feb/26/07 Sent I-130 (VSC)($190 US)

March/2/07 Rcv'd at VSC

March/5/07 NOA-1

July/23/07 NOA2(147 days)

I-129F

--------------

March/16/07 Sent I-129F (Chicago) ($170 US)

March/21/07 Received in Chicago

March/22/07 NOA-1

April/10/07 Transferred to VSC

April/23/07 Email from USCIS (case pending at VSC)

July/23/07 NOA2(129 days)

July/28/07 Rcv'd at NVC

July/31/07 NVC sent to Montreal

Aug/3/07 Montreal Rcv'd

Aug/8/07 Packet 3 Received

Aug/10/07 Packet 3 Sent

Aug/13/07 Packet 3 Received in Montreal

Oct/17/07 Medical Scheduled (Dr Seiden)

Jan/25/08 INTERVIEW MONTREAL...APPROVED!

Feb/6/08 Montreal sends Visa, finally!

Feb/8/08 Received Visa (14 days)

April/18/08 Moving Day/POE Sarnia

AOS/EAD

--------------

June/21/08 AOS/EAD package sent ($1010)

June/23/08 Received in Chicago

June/30/08 Check cashed

July/01/08 Received NOA's for I-765 & I-485 (dated June 27th)

July/02/08 Touch

July/07/08 Received Biometrics letter (dated July 1st)

July/18/08 Biometrics appt 8am

Aug/30/08 EAD card received (approval dated Aug 26th)

Sept/04/08 Applied for SSN

Sept/15/08 Social Security card received

Jan/23/09 letter received with interview date

March/10/09 INTERVIEW 9:30am...APPROVED!!

March/19/09 Welcome Letter received

March/23/09 GREENCARD RECEIVED, DONE WITH USCIS UNTIL 2019!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Dear Montreal Consulate,

I'd like to file a formal complaint about 2 security people at the consulate. One is "they lady with the black curly hair" and the other is the lady "that looks like Kelly Osbourne".

:P

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Dear Montreal Consulate,

I'd like to file a formal complaint about 2 security people at the consulate. One is "they lady with the black curly hair" and the other is the lady "that looks like Kelly Osbourne".

:P

Misa.. you're funny! hehehehhe :D

Yeah, I wanted to go into as much detail as possible when I'm doing my review so others will not make the same errors I did and get yelled at.. hehehhe

So remember,

1. Dont point out your name for them on the list. It's THEIR JOB and NOT YOURS. Doing so will result in you being yelled at.

2. Please take a seat when you're in the basement elevator area. DO NOT stand in front of the elevator or the big booming voice will shout at you to return to your seats!

3. As per Emily, DO NOT HELP the woman to hold the door or you will be yelled at too! hahaha

Mao

I-130 Sent : July 17, 06

NOA1 : July 27

Nov 22, file is 'pending'

Nov 28, Touched

Dec 4, APPROVED!!!! ^__^

Dec 6, NVC Case Number Assigned

Dec 18, DS-3032 & AOS bill sent

Dec 21, NVC accepted choice of agent via email

Dec 22, Sent AOS bill using James' shortcuts

Dec 25, IV Bill Generated

Jan 9, Sent I-864 using James' shortcuts

Jan 15, IV bill arrived

Jan 16, IV Bill Paid

Jan 19, IV bill processed

Jan 22, I-864 being reviewed

Jan 29, Sent DS-230 using James' shortcuts

Feb 13, CASE COMPLETED!!

Apr 13, INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!

Apr 28, Entered USA, POE Vancouver. Told that my visa stamp serves as a temporary Green Card.

I-129F Sent : Aug 20, 06

NOA1 : Aug 31, 06

Oct 23, 06, received email that case forwarded to CSC

Oct 27, 06, received email saying that case has reached CSC

Nov 22, 06, note said file received and pending

Dec 13, 06, Touched with same note as above

ABANDONING K3

I-751 Sent on Jan 28, 09 to remove conditions

Feb 1 - Check cashed

Feb 25 - Biometrics

Jun 1 - Approved! (Decision date was May 26, 09)

Now waiting for green card...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

lol.. this is such a sad thread.. (just cause of the reality not the posters).. It's crazy that a service to the public is so terribly staffed.. and that good people trying to help are yelled at.. geepers. But having crossed the border a few times it is true, don't speak or do anything unless asked to - it's just better that way.

I keep reading info on the elevator comments with interest. Our interview was in the pm. Once we made it through initial security we walked directly onto the elevator and pressed the button ourselves, it was just like any other office building.. no one took us up no one said anything. Strangeness.. wonder if we just passed through the ever watching "eye"?

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just a bit morte info on the Staff at Mtl, the ones conducting ther interviews at least and assume the ones doing the general paperwork are Foreign service workers, my wife knows many that work around the world, and in many consulates they are are undermanned and work LONG hours, and most DO NOT get paid overtime. Many are forced to work long hours, many time 6 days a week, but dont get paid for those extyra hours!! Not all that she knows work the Immigration side of the house, and I'm sure it may differ from consulate to consualte. Just another point of view! No excuse for rude security guards though, or anyone for that matter.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I think the people upstairs are foreign workers. For sure the CO is American. I'd think that the security guards are locals???? I mean, it'll be messed up if the security guards are from the US????

I-130 Sent : July 17, 06

NOA1 : July 27

Nov 22, file is 'pending'

Nov 28, Touched

Dec 4, APPROVED!!!! ^__^

Dec 6, NVC Case Number Assigned

Dec 18, DS-3032 & AOS bill sent

Dec 21, NVC accepted choice of agent via email

Dec 22, Sent AOS bill using James' shortcuts

Dec 25, IV Bill Generated

Jan 9, Sent I-864 using James' shortcuts

Jan 15, IV bill arrived

Jan 16, IV Bill Paid

Jan 19, IV bill processed

Jan 22, I-864 being reviewed

Jan 29, Sent DS-230 using James' shortcuts

Feb 13, CASE COMPLETED!!

Apr 13, INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!

Apr 28, Entered USA, POE Vancouver. Told that my visa stamp serves as a temporary Green Card.

I-129F Sent : Aug 20, 06

NOA1 : Aug 31, 06

Oct 23, 06, received email that case forwarded to CSC

Oct 27, 06, received email saying that case has reached CSC

Nov 22, 06, note said file received and pending

Dec 13, 06, Touched with same note as above

ABANDONING K3

I-751 Sent on Jan 28, 09 to remove conditions

Feb 1 - Check cashed

Feb 25 - Biometrics

Jun 1 - Approved! (Decision date was May 26, 09)

Now waiting for green card...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think they should be complained about to whom ever thier supervisors are. As long as there is no feed back about thier ignorant attitudes they'll just continue on unknowingly to the powers that be

Timeline

The actual workers are what is temed as Foreign Service Workers, they tarvel throughout the USA consulates throughout the world. Not all do Immigration stuff. My wife has 2 aunts that were Foreign service workers. They usually do 2to 3 yr tours abroad, them back to the USA, then off again. One can travel a fair bit, my wife's aunts sure did. The lady that did my interview in Mtl, was fairly new, her last tour was in Senegal i belive.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

They know they have us in a position where if we react or complain prior to obtaining what we're after. We fear any negative response will put the visa in jeopardy and then after it's received we sort of just move on with our lives and dont bother complaining. That being said , I do not believe all of the employees of a particular consulate/agency take advantage of their position but there are definitely a select few who are offenders. These people who when put in a position of authority or even deemed authority take full advantage of the opportunity.

Flames, I know you like to offer the other side of the picture and I fully appreciate and respect that. However ,I have to take issue with the notion of being overworked and underpaid concept .......not just with this situation but with any. When a persons accepts an offer of employment, there is no secret as to what they will be paid or what will be expected of them during the course of their employment.For the sake of argument let's say there is though..... you accept a job and later on you're required to work more or differently than you expected. None of those employees are forced to continue in the position....they are free like any of us to move on down the road and find more suitable employment. When you work in a position of service wherein you're required to interact with the public in a service position , you may not and do not have the right to use your position to abuse the people you're employed to serve. On the other side of that coin , the public doesn't have the right to abuse you either simply because you're a public servant.

All of my life , my employment has been that of public service and trust me it gets tedious. People mistreat you just because you're there......both customer and superior. I can honestly say I have never uttered the words " I dont get paid enough for this " but I have said " I dont have to accept this " and I moved on.

I truly believe these incidents are not about being overworked or underpaid........they are about the person in the wrong position. They are about the personality of the offender and their lack of character. EVERYONE has a bad day, even a bad week but it seems some of these people are having a bad life and taking out on those who don't deserve it.

<steps off soapbox>

google.gif

Timeline

I'm not making an excuse for them, there is no excuse for rudeness.

Timeline
I think the people upstairs are foreign workers. For sure the CO is American. I'd think that the security guards are locals???? I mean, it'll be messed up if the security guards are from the US????

Well, if the US Consulate in Montreal is anything like the Canadian Embassy in DC, there could be a few layers of security with locals, military and civil servants all mixed in. Unfortunately there are rude people in every job. The ones that work with the public just stick out more.

canadaC.gif - Derek usaCa.gif- KJ

TIMELINE

Civil Ceremony - 02/19/2005

I-130 Mailed Out - 02/25/2005

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

I-130 Approved - 04/07/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Family Ceremony - 10/22/2005

Interview in Montreal - 12/22/2005

Activate Visa - 12/25/2005

Move to Virginia - 04/06/2006

Mailed I-751 - 11/02/2007

Received in Vermont - 11/05/2007

Check Cashed by VSC - 11/09/2007

Received NOA 1 - 11/10/2007

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Card production ordered - 09/10/2008

Card received! - 09/17/2008

Now on to citizenship...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Also there is the fact that "some" people who go to the consulate INSIST on bringing large bags and other "non-allowables".. that are CLEARLY spelled out in the instructions. That's gotta grate on an officer's last nerve - telling people over and over again they can't bring in their lap top, cell phones etc. etc.

Again.. not making excuses for being rude and unprofessional in anyway at all, but I understand in some ways what makes them so ready to snap.

When I went for biometrics in Hartford the guard at the front desk almost threw a party cause I presented him with my ID and Biometrics letter immediately upon entering the building (what the instructions said to do).. he threw up his hands and said "oh my SOMEONE who actually reads the information!!!!" and then said "and i bet you didn't bring a cell phone either - cause you READ the instructions".. he was really nice to me and i thought it was pretty funny sarcasim.. but I heard him growl quite rudely to the next person who brought in a cell phone - he told her "you can leave it out on the street for all i care"..

*sigh no justification for sure, but at least it's some explaination.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

thats funny eman !!!

I can only imagine the "burnout" rate of some careers. There are so many ....too many to list.....jobs i personally would never consider due to the " idiot factor". Sadly, it requires a person to identify when they have reached their personal " had enough" level and too often people dont recognize it.It often times requires that someone else identify the point so that the person in question can be relocated or reassigned.

i personally have a few incidents where I was thanked for following the proper procedure and complimented for being informed. I have also made a point to compliment an employee to their supervisor for doing a good job. Sad i think that the good ones stand out as unusual enough for us to have to comment but I definately believe in rewarding a job well done as much as complaining about a job not well done.

google.gif

Timeline

Our Mao,

Thank you SO SO much for this review!! There aren't too many CR1 reviews for Montreal, this is just what my husband needs to read tomorrow.

I can not even believe that Michael's interview is in less than 36 hours! It's surreal, after waiting so long.

I'm really glad that in the end everything went well :) Congrats!!!!

Sandy

Michael's I-130:

NOA1: 5-10-2006----updated w/ citizenship: 9-25-06----had to call back 10/25, touch 10/26

12/06/06 - Approved!- - - 12/08/06 - Touch---01/25/07 - Touch

I130 at NVC

12/14/06 - case number assigned

12/25/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Mailed (phone system updated 12/27)

12/27/06 - emailed choice of agent; 12/29/06 - received email from NVC confirming choice of agent!

01/01/07 - NVC generated IV Fee Bill (postmarked 1/17 though!)

01/03/07 - returned AoS Fee Bill via Priority Mail (James' shortcut)

01/15/07 - NVC generated AOS package

01/22/07 - received IV Fee Bill - overnighted back to NVC same day

01/27/07 - recieved I864 package; 01/29/07 - overnighted I864 to NVC

01/29/07 - DS230 generated (phone system not updated, email response 2/5/07)

02/05/07 - mailed DS-230 to NVC via express mail

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE!!

04/18/07 - INTERVIEW!!!! - APPROVED!!!!

Michael's K-3:

09/28/06 - NOA1

1/25/07 - approved ...NOA2 via snail mail - 1/29/07

03/16/07 - chose not to return packet 3 to Montreal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.