Elmira

NEW PASSPORT (change of wife's maiden name due to marriage)

5 posts in this topic

Dear all,

My Fiancé (US citizen) and I are waiting for our I-129F to be approved, but while we are waiting, we are reading all information concerning my status after I will arrive in US. As I am going to take his surname after we will get married, I have few questions nobody can answer.

- Can I apply for new passport (with my new surname) immediately after our wedding?

- Should I obtain new passport in Embassy of my country (I am citizen of Kazakhstan)?

- If I can obtain new passport from Embassy can I submit new passport for Filing for Adjustment of Status?

- If yes should I put copy of my old passport with K-1 visa in it?

- I am scared that issue of new passport will take about 3 months since can we file for Adjustment of Status in 3 months after our wedding?

I am sorry for many questions, but we are so confused and really don’t know the answers.

Thank you to everyone :yes:

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Dear all,

My Fiancé (US citizen) and I are waiting for our I-129F to be approved, but while we are waiting, we are reading all information concerning my status after I will arrive in US. As I am going to take his surname after we will get married, I have few questions nobody can answer.

- Can I apply for new passport (with my new surname) immediately after our wedding?

- Should I obtain new passport in Embassy of my country (I am citizen of Kazakhstan)?

- If I can obtain new passport from Embassy can I submit new passport for Filing for Adjustment of Status?

- I am scared that issue of new passport will take about 3 months since can we file for Adjustment of Status in 3 months after our wedding?

I am sorry for many questions, but we are so confused and really don’t know the answers.

1) Yes..

2) Yes..

3) A passport is not required for filing AOS (However it is for some of the ancillary benefits and then it's only a copy of the passport ID page).. however a copy of your K1 visa is...

4) Definitley make a copy of the passport ID page as well as a copy of your K-1 visa and the I-94

5) You can file for AOS without your passport (However, you're going to need some sort of ID). If you don't have your passport at the time of your AOS interview, it's ok as long as you have some other form of picture ID..

You can still travel while your passport is in your maiden name... I would be quite so fast in seding out your passport until you some form of US picture ID...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Dear all,

1) Yes..

2) Yes..

3) A passport is not required for filing AOS (However it is for some of the ancillary benefits and then it's only a copy of the passport ID page).. however a copy of your K1 visa is...

4) Definitley make a copy of the passport ID page as well as a copy of your K-1 visa and the I-94

5) You can file for AOS without your passport (However, you're going to need some sort of ID). If you don't have your passport at the time of your AOS interview, it's ok as long as you have some other form of picture ID..

You can still travel while your passport is in your maiden name... I would be quite so fast in seding out your passport until you some form of US picture ID...

Thank you very much for your advice.

So please let me to confirm:

After wedding I apply for my new passport as well as for AOS. But in application of AOS I will put my new surname according to my marriage certificate (surname of my husband who is USC) + copy of my old passport (with maiden name) where I have K-1 visa. So it means EAD, AP, SSN and green card are not visa type documents that should be glue in my passport. They are just separate plastic type cards and nothing to do with my passport as for example K-1 visa will be glued in to my passport. Also I will have my new surname in EAD, AP, SSN and green card. Am I right?

Thank you again

Elmira :yes:

Oh well... I think I understood it only now....

So please let me know if I am not right.

So it is not necessary to obtain new passport till my AOS will be proved, but applying for AOS, EAD and AP I need to put my new surname according our marriage certificate. So when I will travel abroad while my AOS is still in the process I can show my old passport, marriage certificate and AP at Passport control point in different countries where I will travel. But as soon as I will get approved AOS and this card will be send to me by snail mail I can go to Embassy I am citizen of (Kazakhstan) and apply for new passport which will have my new surname.

I hope I am correct.

My apologies for so stupid questions, but sometimes it is so difficult to understand.

Thank you again

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
certificate and AP at Passport control point in different countries where I will travel. But as soon as I will get approved AOS and this card will be send to me by snail mail I can go to Embassy I am citizen of (Kazakhstan) and apply for new passport which will have my new surname.

I hope I am correct.

My apologies for so stupid questions, but sometimes it is so difficult to understand.

Thank you again

Take a look on the Russia thread - there are many posts dealing with this. In most cases, it is not a big deal if your passport is in your maiden name, and does not match your green card. Having your marriage certificate with you may help.

It is generally possible to have you name changed in your passport with the embassy in the US, or have them note your new name in the passport.

Fairly often, women have had difficulty leaving Russia and CIS states when the passport had not yet been changed. It seems to be easier for Russians to have their passports updated now, but I'm not sure about Kazakhstan.

It is not a problem at all entering the US.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.