ItchyKneeSon

Document Extract (Tax)

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I know that people have gotten RFE's for submitting incomplete foreign document translations and that extract or summary translations are not acceptable.  
(HERE is the USCIS page stating this.)
(And HERE is another USCIS link, found on the above link's page.)
The way that this is worded makes it sound like all of what is shown on the copy that you submit must be translated completely, rather than having the (perhaps 10's- or 100's-of-pages-long) document in its entirety translated.

Quote from one of the links above:
     "Sometimes the keeper of a record will issue an “extract” version of the document. This often happens in countries where the complete document is lengthy and filled with extraneous information. Such official extracts are acceptable, but only if they contain all the information necessary to make a decision on a case. For example, an official extract of a birth certificate which fully identifies the child’s parents may be used in support of a visa petition; one which only lists the child’s name and date and place of birth may not. Furthermore, only extracts prepared by an authorized official (the “keeper of record”) are acceptable. A summary of a document prepared by a translator is unacceptable."

I am filing an IR-1 for my Japanese wife and I'd like to show that we had shared an apartment in the months after our marriage.
(For those who do not know, shared bank accounts, credit cards, utility bills, and lease agreements are almost completely unheard of in Japan.  So, proof of shared assets is more difficult to find.)

I have both my wife's and my official city income tax reports from 4 years ago showing the date, our shared address, and our names on the front of the 4-page (front and back, 8 pages in all) documents.  The information that I would like to provide is all on the front page of the document.  Every other page contained in the document is full of legal jargon and fine print that, even a single page of, would be extremely time consuming and tedious to translate for such a simple piece of supporting documentation.  I'd like to simply copy the front page of the document, translate it completely, and submit that as proof.  Would this be acceptable or would it guarantee an RFE?

I hope this makes sense and that this can clear up the issue.

Kind Regards,

Itchy

8 hours ago, ItchyKneeSon said:

I know that people have gotten RFE's for submitting incomplete foreign document translations and that extract or summary translations are not acceptable.  
(HERE is the USCIS page stating this.)
(And HERE is another USCIS link, found on the above link's page.)
The way that this is worded makes it sound like all of what is shown on the copy that you submit must be translated completely, rather than having the (perhaps 10's- or 100's-of-pages-long) document in its entirety translated.

Quote from one of the links above:
     "Sometimes the keeper of a record will issue an “extract” version of the document. This often happens in countries where the complete document is lengthy and filled with extraneous information. Such official extracts are acceptable, but only if they contain all the information necessary to make a decision on a case. For example, an official extract of a birth certificate which fully identifies the child’s parents may be used in support of a visa petition; one which only lists the child’s name and date and place of birth may not. Furthermore, only extracts prepared by an authorized official (the “keeper of record”) are acceptable. A summary of a document prepared by a translator is unacceptable."

I am filing an IR-1 for my Japanese wife and I'd like to show that we had shared an apartment in the months after our marriage.
(For those who do not know, shared bank accounts, credit cards, utility bills, and lease agreements are almost completely unheard of in Japan.  So, proof of shared assets is more difficult to find.)

I have both my wife's and my official city income tax reports from 4 years ago showing the date, our shared address, and our names on the front of the 4-page (front and back, 8 pages in all) documents.  The information that I would like to provide is all on the front page of the document.  Every other page contained in the document is full of legal jargon and fine print that, even a single page of, would be extremely time consuming and tedious to translate for such a simple piece of supporting documentation.  I'd like to simply copy the front page of the document, translate it completely, and submit that as proof.  Would this be acceptable or would it guarantee an RFE?

I hope this makes sense and that this can clear up the issue.

Kind Regards,

Itchy

Should be fine as long as it shows you lived together and it was signed/notarized (not sure how it's done there).  Just make sure you include a copy of the original since most RFEs are due to either 1) missing documentation or, 2) lack of sufficient evidence or, 3) original copies from which translations were derived were not included.  

USCIS mostly focuses on evidence that supports the existence of a relationship, before and after marriage.  Proof of assets aren't the only way to establish that.  You should also consider the following:

• Financial ties:  Married Filing Jointly for the first year you are married (legally required either ways but depends on when you got married)
  • Financial ties which you can establish without your spouse having a SSN/TIN: Adding your spouse as an authorized user to your credit card, designating your spouse as your beneficiary on savings/checking account, 401K, savings plan, investment accounts, ROTH IRA, benefits
  • Photos:  Photos of time spent together with each other and with friends/family throughout the course of your relationship and your marriage; USCIS would expect that they have met at least some of your family/friends after marriage
  • Travel: Itineraries and bookings reflecting both your names, passport stamps, boarding passes, I-94 travel records for the intending immigrant proving they have visited you
  • Correspondence: Chat / conversation / call logs, cards/email/letters sent to each other
  • Correspondence from others:  Cards or conversations from/with friends and/or family about your relationship, your marriage, or their relationship with your spouse now that the two of you are married

A lease in both your names is just the cherry on top since most filers have never actually lived with their spouses.  Definitely include photos as well as some select items and you should be fine.  Some of these items are probably not that difficult to gather.

There are plenty of ways to evidence a bona fide marriage.  You should read through the following guides:

Not all of the suggestions would apply but you can pick and choose what does.

Edited by JessieABC

NVC Process Guide for UK:  NVC Process (timelines, numbers, documents, steps)  

_______________________________________________________________________________________

TIMELINE (CR1 Spouse Visa)
USCIS Phase (Married in England September 3, 2016!)
Spoiler
  • 09-22-2016:  I-130 Mailed to Chicago Lockbox (USPS Priority)
  • 09-25-2016:  USPS Priority delivery confirmation
  • 09-26-2016:  Priority date assigned (USC Spouse)
  • 09-28-2016:  I-797C NOA1 Email/Text received, check cashed; case sent to Nebraska Service Center
  • 10-03-2016:  I-797C NOA1 Hardcopy received
  • 02-15-2017:  Case transferred to Texas Service Center
  • 03-16-2017:  NOA2 Approval Date
  • 03-22-2017:  USCIS sent case to NVC, Case Status changed to "We sent your case to the Department of State for visa processing"
  • 03-23-2017:  NOA2 Harcdopy received

NVC Phase

Spoiler
  • 03-30-2017:  Case Received By NVC
  • 04-04-2017:  Case # and IIN Assigned (called NVC to confirm)
  • 04-05-2017:  DS-261 unlocked & completed, called NVC and reviewed over the phone (IV fee will unlock after a week)
  • 04-06-2017:  Received NVC Welcome Letter via Email, AOS Fee unlocked & paid online
  • 04-07-2017:  Called NVC again and rep stated DS 261 was not actually reviewed.  Re-reviewed DS-261
  • 04-11-2017:  Welcome Letter email received, IV Fee unlocked & paid online
  • 04-13-2017:  DS-260 unlocked
  • 04-14-2017:  DS-260 submitted
  • 04-30-2017:  Affidavit of Support/Documents sent via Fedex Priority Overnight (sent Sunday, to be delivered Tuesday)
  • 05-02-2017:  Affidavit of Support/Documents delivered to NVC
  • 05-04-2017:  Document Scan Date
  • 06-28-2017:  Checklist for Court Records (even though beneficiary has never been to court); escalated to Supervisor who requested case files
  • 07-03-2017:  CASE COMPLETE!!!  Called NVC on July 5 and representative confirmed status
  • 07-11-2017:  Case Complete email confirmation received
  • 07-13-2017:  NVC rep confirmed Interview Date assigned
  • 07-14-2017:  Email confirmation of Interview
  • 07-20-2017:  11 Week (77 day) expected Case Complete from Scan Date (5/4/2017)
  • 07-21-2017:  Appointment with General Practitioner to get all required shots and medical history
  • 08-01-2017,   1:10PM:  Immigration medical with Knighstbridge Doctors in London
  • 08-11-2017:  Medical files received by Consulate
  • 08-16-2017, 12:30PM:  Interview in London!!
  • 08-17-2017:  Visa status changed to Administrative Processing, then several hours later to "Issued"
  • 08-22-2017:  Passport with Visa delivered (paid for home delivery); paid immigration fee and added case to MyUSCIS for alerts
  • 11-18-2017:  Point of Entry at JFK in NYC!!! 

TIMELINE (I-751 Removal of Conditions for Spouse)
USCIS Phase 
Spoiler
  • 10-08-2019:  I-751 Mailed to Dallas USCIS PO Box (USPS Flat Rate Box)
  • 10-11-2019:  USPS delivery confirmation
  • 10-16-2019:  Text received confirming receipt number; case found in MyUSCIS system several hours later
  • 10-17-2019:  Check cashed by USCIS
  • 10-21-2019:  I-797 NOA received (Notice Date: 10/16) of acceptance
  • 11-01-2019:  I-797C NOA received (Notice Date: 10/25) for Biometrics appointment
  • 11-12-2019:  Biometrics completed
  • 11-13-2019:  Case status changed to “Fingerprint Review Was Completed”
  • 12-24-2019:  Case status changed to “Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken”
  • 05-27-2020:  Case status changed to “Case is Ready to be Scheduled for An Interview”
  • 04-22-2021:  Infopass appointment scheduled and extension stamp provided
  • 07-12-2021:  Inquiry submitted to USCIS for case beyond normal processing times (reply expected by 8/3)
  • 03-09-2022:  Received email response to inquiry from 7/12/22 restating status with no updates provided
  • 09-16-2022:  Inquiry submitted to USCIS for case beyond normal processing times
  • 10-17-2022:  Requested assistance from local Congressman
  • 11-28-2022:  Congressman's office received USCIS statement that "application has been identified as a potential interview waiver application"
  • 03-27-2023:  USCIS Requested additional evidence "as it has been several years since you've submitted this petition" 
  • 05-13-2023:  Sent RFE response via USPS certified Priority mail
  • 05-17-2023:  USCIS received RFE packet
  • 05-19-2023:  USCIS case status updated to “New Card is Being Produced" 
  • 05-22-2023:  USCIS case status updated to “Case Was Approved" 
  • 05-24-2023:  USCIS case status updated to reflect new Green Card was mailed
  • 05-25-2023:  USCIS case status updated to “Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office" 

I just did some extra research for you and you might want to make sure they include that the translation is "complete and accurate".  

Translations. If you submit a document with information in a foreign language, you must also submit a full English
translation. The translator must sign a certification that the English language translation is complete and accurate, and that
he or she is competent to translate from the foreign language into English. The certification should also include the date,
the translator’s signature and printed name, and may contain the translator’s contact information.

NVC Process Guide for UK:  NVC Process (timelines, numbers, documents, steps)  

_______________________________________________________________________________________

TIMELINE (CR1 Spouse Visa)
USCIS Phase (Married in England September 3, 2016!)
Spoiler
  • 09-22-2016:  I-130 Mailed to Chicago Lockbox (USPS Priority)
  • 09-25-2016:  USPS Priority delivery confirmation
  • 09-26-2016:  Priority date assigned (USC Spouse)
  • 09-28-2016:  I-797C NOA1 Email/Text received, check cashed; case sent to Nebraska Service Center
  • 10-03-2016:  I-797C NOA1 Hardcopy received
  • 02-15-2017:  Case transferred to Texas Service Center
  • 03-16-2017:  NOA2 Approval Date
  • 03-22-2017:  USCIS sent case to NVC, Case Status changed to "We sent your case to the Department of State for visa processing"
  • 03-23-2017:  NOA2 Harcdopy received

NVC Phase

Spoiler
  • 03-30-2017:  Case Received By NVC
  • 04-04-2017:  Case # and IIN Assigned (called NVC to confirm)
  • 04-05-2017:  DS-261 unlocked & completed, called NVC and reviewed over the phone (IV fee will unlock after a week)
  • 04-06-2017:  Received NVC Welcome Letter via Email, AOS Fee unlocked & paid online
  • 04-07-2017:  Called NVC again and rep stated DS 261 was not actually reviewed.  Re-reviewed DS-261
  • 04-11-2017:  Welcome Letter email received, IV Fee unlocked & paid online
  • 04-13-2017:  DS-260 unlocked
  • 04-14-2017:  DS-260 submitted
  • 04-30-2017:  Affidavit of Support/Documents sent via Fedex Priority Overnight (sent Sunday, to be delivered Tuesday)
  • 05-02-2017:  Affidavit of Support/Documents delivered to NVC
  • 05-04-2017:  Document Scan Date
  • 06-28-2017:  Checklist for Court Records (even though beneficiary has never been to court); escalated to Supervisor who requested case files
  • 07-03-2017:  CASE COMPLETE!!!  Called NVC on July 5 and representative confirmed status
  • 07-11-2017:  Case Complete email confirmation received
  • 07-13-2017:  NVC rep confirmed Interview Date assigned
  • 07-14-2017:  Email confirmation of Interview
  • 07-20-2017:  11 Week (77 day) expected Case Complete from Scan Date (5/4/2017)
  • 07-21-2017:  Appointment with General Practitioner to get all required shots and medical history
  • 08-01-2017,   1:10PM:  Immigration medical with Knighstbridge Doctors in London
  • 08-11-2017:  Medical files received by Consulate
  • 08-16-2017, 12:30PM:  Interview in London!!
  • 08-17-2017:  Visa status changed to Administrative Processing, then several hours later to "Issued"
  • 08-22-2017:  Passport with Visa delivered (paid for home delivery); paid immigration fee and added case to MyUSCIS for alerts
  • 11-18-2017:  Point of Entry at JFK in NYC!!! 

TIMELINE (I-751 Removal of Conditions for Spouse)
USCIS Phase 
Spoiler
  • 10-08-2019:  I-751 Mailed to Dallas USCIS PO Box (USPS Flat Rate Box)
  • 10-11-2019:  USPS delivery confirmation
  • 10-16-2019:  Text received confirming receipt number; case found in MyUSCIS system several hours later
  • 10-17-2019:  Check cashed by USCIS
  • 10-21-2019:  I-797 NOA received (Notice Date: 10/16) of acceptance
  • 11-01-2019:  I-797C NOA received (Notice Date: 10/25) for Biometrics appointment
  • 11-12-2019:  Biometrics completed
  • 11-13-2019:  Case status changed to “Fingerprint Review Was Completed”
  • 12-24-2019:  Case status changed to “Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken”
  • 05-27-2020:  Case status changed to “Case is Ready to be Scheduled for An Interview”
  • 04-22-2021:  Infopass appointment scheduled and extension stamp provided
  • 07-12-2021:  Inquiry submitted to USCIS for case beyond normal processing times (reply expected by 8/3)
  • 03-09-2022:  Received email response to inquiry from 7/12/22 restating status with no updates provided
  • 09-16-2022:  Inquiry submitted to USCIS for case beyond normal processing times
  • 10-17-2022:  Requested assistance from local Congressman
  • 11-28-2022:  Congressman's office received USCIS statement that "application has been identified as a potential interview waiver application"
  • 03-27-2023:  USCIS Requested additional evidence "as it has been several years since you've submitted this petition" 
  • 05-13-2023:  Sent RFE response via USPS certified Priority mail
  • 05-17-2023:  USCIS received RFE packet
  • 05-19-2023:  USCIS case status updated to “New Card is Being Produced" 
  • 05-22-2023:  USCIS case status updated to “Case Was Approved" 
  • 05-24-2023:  USCIS case status updated to reflect new Green Card was mailed
  • 05-25-2023:  USCIS case status updated to “Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office" 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.