tigey

Entering with Green Card and a different passport

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belize
Timeline

Long story short, I hold a Green Card and I am also a dual national. The passport that I used for the Green Card paperwork, and the one I last exited the USA with is expired. When I came in the last time I only scanned my green card in the machine and nothing else. In fact, I never took my passport out at all. I have an intrnational trip scheduled next week, can I enter with the green card only? If not, can I show my other passport to the CPB officer if I get selected by the machine etc? 

I'd be very careful about using your second passport because you have to show your passport to the airline and the fill information they submit before you arrive. They could possibly find out that the passport country they have on record does not match this second passport, and you could get flagged. Basically when you go to the machine it will ask you to see a CPB officer.**

You might be better off trying to get into the US with the expired passport and the green card. You can use your non-expired passport to get into the other country, and then give the airline people your expired passport when you come back(***). Green card should work to get into US. According to UCSIS it says:

"If seeking to enter the United States after temporary travel abroad, you will need to present a valid, unexpired “green card”  ... and any other identity documents you present, such as a passport, foreign national I.D. card or U.S. Driver’s License, and determine if you can enter the United States.  For information pertaining to entry into the United States, see U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s webpage."

So basically take your driver's license with you too. You probably already found out whether your consulate gives out passports or can extend your current one. 

Maybe other people have more insight into this. 

** I had a friend (not green card holder) who came with a different passport one time and he got sent back, not allowed in the country because CPB officer found it suspicious that he had been in the US with a different passport before. 

*** I haven't done this myself, but I have friends with 2 passports and they switch passports according to where they don't need visas.

Timeline

Basically when you go to the machine it will ask you to see a CPB officer

The machine does not scan your passport, it only scans your green card.

"If seeking to enter the United States after temporary travel abroad, you will need to present a valid, unexpired “green card”  ... and any other identity documents you present, such as a passport, foreign national I.D. card or U.S. Driver’s License,

It doesnt specify the passport they have on record, it just says passport, or any ID docs. So my Green Card and US Driver's licence should be all they need. Is this correct?

I know the autokiosk scans the green card. But the airline fills in your information (name, passport, visa status or green card) and submits them to immigration. That is why I was saying you should give the airline your expired passport number. 

The autokiosk exists because they do all the work before you go to the kiosk. If there is some error with the data they have, the kiosk will tell you that you have to go see an officer.

Timeline

They could possibly find out that the passport country they have on record does not match this second passport, and you could get flagged.

DHS does not link Passport number to Green Card number

Two conflicting statements. Which is correct? Coco8 states "They have on record", while Dee states "they do not link"

Coco8 advised to leave and enter on expired passport. (dee says airline will not accept expired passport)

Dee advised to leave and enter on valid passport of second nationality, since Passport  numbers are not linked to green card, there is no problem and there will be no conflicting records to throw up flags. The airline will process the second nationality passport as usual and really not be aware of the exisance of my expired one, or that it was used to file for the green card.

Anyone else have any suggestions on the best option?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.