8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: India
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

I am a United States Citizen, married in 2013 and my husband got IR1 visa in 2015 and will be US Citizen in next year (2018). I applied for IR 2 for my Step Child (Minor-Age 7). Her petition got approved recently in May 2017,

I have confusion about her Status upon arrival in the United States, Her father is a Permanent Resident for now and will be US Citizen next year in 2018. 

* Her legal custody is still with the mother but she is living with my husband's Parents and go to school. So do we have to change Child's legal custody from Mother to my Husband or she can give written letter with no Objection or something like that ??

* If she get visa through me, she will be permanent resident until she tern 18 ?

* Or she can come now and once her father become citizen next year, then she will be automatically going to be US Citizen.

I file her petition by own and confuse on these points, expert advise needed even i trying to do research on different websites but its complicated, please help

Filed: Other Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi my son came 2015 to USA on IR2 visa he is now 7 years my husband is us citizen and I am a permanent resident... So first Her mother must give the custody to the father or she can write a letter and sign it with paralegal or lawyer.. And my son will be a citizen automaticlly when I will after few months. Your case is exactly like mine and everything went ok if you need anything please just send me a msg..when my son came to the state I was a 2 years green card holder 

Edited by Omarov2009

Filed: Timeline

The mother must give written notarized permission for the child to immigrate.  Once the child immigrates, the father will have custody in the US.

Since you are the petitioner, the child will gain permanent residency through you.

Once the child is a green card holder, she automatically becomes a USC if she lives with her USC dad and is under age 18.

Timeline
6 hours ago, Omarov2009 said:

Hi my son came 2015 to USA on IR2 visa he is now 7 years my husband is us citizen and I am a permanent resident... So first Her mother must give the custody to the father or she can write a letter and sign it with paralegal or lawyer.. And my son will be a citizen automaticlly when I will after few months. Your case is exactly like mine and everything went ok if you need anything please just send me a msg..when my son came to the state I was a 2 years green card holder 

Thank you so much for clarifying this confusion for this I was thinking to hire a attorney but for minor everything goes smoothly and easily.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Hawaiianparadise said:

Thank you so much for clarifying this confusion for this I was thinking to hire a attorney but for minor everything goes smoothly and easily.

You are most welcome and again if you have any question just send me a msg 

Timeline
7 hours ago, Omarov2009 said:

That's the only point was making me confuse but now it's clear for me because don't want to hire attorney, thank you so much 

• 1 year later...
On 5/13/2017 at 12:34 AM, Hawaiianparadise said:

That's the only point was making me confuse but now it's clear for me because don't want to hire attorney, thank you so much 

Hi there!i have a question? Do I still need to apply for that form n600 for my minor child to get her us citizenship even though me the mother is already a us citizen? Tia 😊

Timeline
On 7/27/2018 at 4:39 AM, Gekgek said:

Hi there!i have a question? Do I still need to apply for that form n600 for my minor child to get her us citizenship even though me the mother is already a us citizen? Tia 😊

If she has a passport it is enough but sure you can file N600 for her too if you want

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.