bcking

Green card arrival time

6 posts in this topic

I did a quick search and I found posts from a few years ago, so was wondering if there are any more recent experiences.

Usually how long do people have to wait to get the green card in the mail once they enter the US? My wife is arriving on April 23rd and has a wedding on June 3rd in England that she would really like to go back for. It says you can't leave the US until she gets her green card. Is that a realistic time frame?

We paid the fee for the green card just this morning, so I don't know if that starts the processing at all or if they wait until she enters the country.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Assuming she's entering on a CR-1 or IR-1, there's no need to wait for the physical green card to arrive. On entering, the visa in her passport will be stamped and then serves as a temporary green card for 1 year (there's wording to this effect near the bottom of the visa).

Oh that is different from what it said on the guidelines that we got from the Embassy. There was a page about the interview, and on the following page it had information about "What happens after the interview". In that section it said once you enter you cannot leave until you get your green card.

I'll have her ask at the immigration counter If that is the case, that is good news. I'll also have her look at the visa itself since she got it today.

EDIT: And yes it's a CR-1/IR-1

I guess maybe the instructions about the interview were specific to CR-1/IR-1?

Edited by bcking

Timeline
27 minutes ago, bcking said:

Oh that is different from what it said on the guidelines that we got from the Embassy. There was a page about the interview, and on the following page it had information about "What happens after the interview". In that section it said once you enter you cannot leave until you get your green card.

You can leave at any time - it's getting back in again that could prove to be difficult.

27 minutes ago, bcking said:

I'll have her ask at the immigration counter If that is the case, that is good news. I'll also have her look at the visa itself since she got it today.

EDIT: And yes it's a CR-1/IR-1

I guess maybe the instructions about the interview were specific to CR-1/IR-1?

It sounds like the instructions are more generic - they're probably handed out to K-1 applicants too - they really are stuck until they get their green card (or advance parole). In your wife's case, though, that stamped visa is a green card, so absolutely no problem for her to leave and re-enter the country. And, of course, she can use it anywhere else that wants to see a green card - DMV would be the obvious place - no need to wait for the physical green card to arrive before applying for a driving license.

11 minutes ago, broppy said:

You can leave at any time - it's getting back in again that could prove to be difficult.

It sounds like the instructions are more generic - they're probably handed out to K-1 applicants too - they really are stuck until they get their green card (or advance parole). In your wife's case, though, that stamped visa is a green card, so absolutely no problem for her to leave and re-enter the country. And, of course, she can use it anywhere else that wants to see a green card - DMV would be the obvious place - no need to wait for the physical green card to arrive before applying for a driving license.

Good to know. She would only be going to England for a few days for the wedding, then coming right back. Though her flights will be seperated (since she is booking a round trip to immigrate here since it is cheaper, and she'll book a second round trip for her return back to Houston again, with another date back to England in the future).

Thank you

EDIT: Do you think employers would treat that visa appropriately? Or does she have to wait for her SS card? She is a masters/PhD level professional in a large industry (oil and gas) so it's not like filling out an application form, it is about her CV, references and an interview. Just wondering if they would likely use that as proof that she has the right to work until her SS card/green card arrived.

Edited by bcking

Timeline
1 hour ago, bcking said:

EDIT: Do you think employers would treat that visa appropriately? Or does she have to wait for her SS card? She is a masters/PhD level professional in a large industry (oil and gas) so it's not like filling out an application form, it is about her CV, references and an interview. Just wondering if they would likely use that as proof that she has the right to work until her SS card/green card arrived.

Yes, the visa is explicitly listed as a document that establishes identity and employment authorization. Of course, most employers will want an SSN too, so a little tricky to work before the SS card arrives. Fortunately, SSA is a lot more efficient than USCIS - most cards seem to arrive within a week or two of entering if you checked the appropriate box on DS-260.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/acceptable-documents/list-documents/form-i-9-acceptable-documents

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.