7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good day to you,
I have been married to my husband for two and a half years now and have a son together.  After getting married my husband got addicted to drugs and alcohol we had some really hard times he is now in rehab.
I have gotten my date for my green card interview but he is not willing to come I got a letter from the rehab that he is still receiving treatment so I called USCIS to reschedule and got a confirmation number.
But talking to my husband he is saying he have no plans of coming to where we live for now as  he will be getting a job where he is and it's fourteen weeks of training just all excuses.  
Am so worried what can I do as it seem he has no intention of going to the reschedule interview.... Please help me

Filed: Country:
Timeline

are you living as husband and wife? since that is the point of letting you get a greencard by being married to him. it will be looked upon very badly that he is not willing to go with you to the interview. having a usc child does not make the relationship valid on its own so you will need lots of relationship evidence to over come this.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

We lived together for two years even after I found out he was on drugs it was rough for the second year as he would have mood swings, lost his job, car etc but we stayed together until his mom got him in a treatment facility

Filed: Country:
Timeline

yes but to get the immigration benfit of a green card you need to show you are currently living as husband and wife. the past can be good supporting evidence but if the current situation is what matters. 

imagine a couple was in love and lived together for many many years but then grew apart to a point where they lived in different cities and had different lives now and are married in paper only. it would not make sense for uscis to let the spouse of a usc get a green card when the two people are living seperate lives from each other since it would not benfit the usc spouse at all.

immigration is a cold thing at times I am sorry if it does not treat you well.

Filed: Timeline

Hello Good Morning,

Get a free consult with an immigration attorney.  You may still get your permanent GC based on abandonment.  You are still currently married, yet it was drugs that led him astray from you and going into rehab.  It is not like you got married, came here and automatically lived somewhere else.  Again consult a lawyer.  I had a fried who married only for a GC so of course the marriage did not work out.  He was actually with me in relationship for five years and living with me shortly after getting married.  When they wanted to deport him several years later, he got a law school student to represent him(cheaper in price) and he was granted permission to stay unfortunately he had no status in other words he could never travel outside the US.  But he is here living happily.  You case is unique, people get divorced and can still file for themselves.  You need to have some sort of supporting documentation that he was in rehab, and just chain of events during your first two years.  Again consult an immigration attorney.  Most of them offer a free consultation.  Best of Luck!!

Renee

Filed: Timeline

You can try you local legal aid

take the latter proving he's in rehab

explain that was the reason for 1st reschedule

take docs to prove you both were living as man

& wife until he left for rehab, get a letter from

his mom who put him in rehab.

This man seem to either not interested in going to

the interview or he's still affected by the drugs,

do you both plan on being back after rehab? You

should move to his location...if genuinely separated

you will not quallfy for a GC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.