Jump to content

Naturalization - estranged

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello all, 

I have a question before I commit to an immigration lawyer, just want to know opinions from you all before doing all that.  

My situation is.. Married for 9 years with my wife US citizen, been together for 12 years. Never did my citizenship due to monetary issues, we are in good terms and all. But she is moving back to her parents in another state after splitting up and later on I guess we will get our divorce going, as of now not yet again due to monetary issues.  I got my Green card through the adjustment of status almost 5 years ago. 4 months to go for 5 years. 


What is the best route to get my naturalization done?  what is confusing me a lot is the requirements for naturalization which I will paste below.


  • the applicant has been married to and living in a valid marital union with the same U.S. citizen spouse for all three years;"  


Does this mean that as long as she isn't living with me I cannot do this?   what do I do in this case all?   please advice I am very confused..    



Thank you very much! appreciate the help greatly. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites



nope, you will file under the 5 year rule, 90 days before you have been a GC holder you can file for citizenship


it is not based on how you became a resident, but that you have been a resident for 5 years



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You are eligible to apply for citizenship if you have been a permanent resident for 5 years or more, regardless of your marriage situation.


In part 1 of the the N-400 form, you will select option A: "Have been a lawful permanent resident of the United States for at least 5 years".


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.