Jump to content
JL818

Philippines passport renewal confusion

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

Some background information:

- My wife came over last year on a K1 visa, we got married, and she is currently adjusting status, pending the final interview (scheduled for February).

- We have overseas travel scheduled for end of June. However, her Philippines passport is expiring in March, and therefore we will need to renew the passport.

- We've completed the paperwork for advance parole and are awaiting the response (we obtained this once already but it has already expired).

 

My questions:

- On the Philippines consulate website, it states that one of the requirements for passport renewal is "Proof that applicant has not applied for foreign citizenship e.g., resident alien card (green card)." Does this mean that we will not be allowed to renew the passport given that she IS applying for adjustment of status?

- When applying for the passport, is it okay for her to use her unmarried name, so that we don't have to take the trouble going through the name change process of getting a report of marriage, etc., etc.?

 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, JL818 said:

Hi all,

 

Some background information:

- My wife came over last year on a K1 visa, we got married, and she is currently adjusting status, pending the final interview (scheduled for February).

- We have overseas travel scheduled for end of June. However, her Philippines passport is expiring in March, and therefore we will need to renew the passport.

- We've completed the paperwork for advance parole and are awaiting the response (we obtained this once already but it has already expired).

 

My questions:

- On the Philippines consulate website, it states that one of the requirements for passport renewal is "Proof that applicant has not applied for foreign citizenship e.g., resident alien card (green card)." Does this mean that we will not be allowed to renew the passport given that she IS applying for adjustment of status?

- When applying for the passport, is it okay for her to use her unmarried name, so that we don't have to take the trouble going through the name change process of getting a report of marriage, etc., etc.?

 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Yes the consulate is looking for the green card or EAD card.    Your AP card expired already???  It has been a year or did you apply for the AP before filing AOS?

 

Yes the passport can be renewed in her maiden name.  

 

ROM is easy to complete as it can all be done by mail.

 

 


Visa chase and citizenship.. DONE!

 

For helpful information  gif animation     CLICK HERE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Sagot said:

Yes the consulate is looking for the green card or EAD card.    Your AP card expired already???  It has been a year or did you apply for the AP before filing AOS?

 

Yes the passport can be renewed in her maiden name.  

 

ROM is easy to complete as it can all be done by mail.

 

 

 

Just want to be sure I understand your response. When you say that the consulate will be looking for the green card or EAD card, do you mean that if they see that my wife is currently on her way to getting a green card, or already has one, that she will be denied a passport renewal? I just want to make sure because as mentioned, on the Philippines consulate website, it states that one of the requirements for passport renewal is "Proof that applicant has NOT applied for foreign citizenship e.g., resident alien card (green card)."

 

Yes, my AP (I received paper documents, not a card) will be expiring in May, which is before my trip in June. Therefore, I have reapplied in case my wife doesn't get approved for her AOS on time.

 

The ROM can be done but I'm guessing that it will take some time to process and I would have to wait for that prior to even starting to process my passport, and I may not have the time to do that right now given that I need everything well in advance of June?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JL818 said:

 

4 hours ago, JL818 said:

 

Just want to be sure I understand your response. When you say that the consulate will be looking for the green card or EAD card, do you mean that if they see that my wife is currently on her way to getting a green card, or already has one, that she will be denied a passport renewal? I just want to make sure because as mentioned, on the Philippines consulate website, it states that one of the requirements for passport renewal is "Proof that applicant has NOT applied for foreign citizenship e.g., resident alien card (green card)."

 

Yes, my AP (I received paper documents, not a card) will be expiring in May, which is before my trip in June. Therefore, I have reapplied in case my wife doesn't get approved for her AOS on time.

 

The ROM can be done but I'm guessing that it will take some time to process and I would have to wait for that prior to even starting to process my passport, and I may not have the time to do that right now given that I need everything well in advance of June?

 Copy of the 797 NOA may be adequate, that shows applying for GC

 

ROM can be completed in 6-8 wks


Visa chase and citizenship.. DONE!

 

For helpful information  gif animation     CLICK HERE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×