Jump to content

NY license for a Canadian

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts

My apologies if this is already posted somewhere... I couldn't find a recent answer for a K1 Canadian in NY post POE pre AOS.

My K1 expires January 29th 2017 and I'm prepping the AOS/EAD/etc paperwork to be filed shortly.

Situation one: I go and exchange my Canadian license for a NYS one. From my understanding, the NY license will expire along with my visa on January 29th 2017. True? If I do this, will I not be able to drive until I have my GC/EAD in hand and go back to the DMV and get an updated licence? How can I continue driving after January 29th? Will the DMV accept an NOA?

Situation two: If I do not apply for a NY license now, can I drive with my Canadian license while I wait for my GC/EAD (or NOA if it's accepted)? 


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.