tradler

Work visa following Masters

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone,

I've done some research and think I have a grasp of the situation but would just like some clarification. My situation is as such:

• UK Citizen
  • Qualified doctor with a UK MBBS degree.
  • I'm a recent graduate but no longer work in medicine - I work in finance/consultancy but my work still pertains to healthcare and is reasonably niche.
  • Have a 10 year B1/B2 visa (though I think this is reasonably worthless) from a previous internship.
  • Would like to move to the US as the field I work in is much more developed and there are a huge amount of opportunities, though these tend not to be big international companies where I can easily get a transfer.
  • Have an internship offer for next summer in the US (though haven't actually progressed into a visa application at all or anything yet) and this could be extended for up to a year.
  • Will apply for a masters (MBA most likely) in the US either for next year (unlikely as I'm not keen on applying third round) or more likely beginning in 2018.

Questions I have are the following:

1. My understanding is I should just proceed down the H1-B route, however watered-down this gets following Trump's inauguration? I understand my employer should do this and it's a lottery. Question is, does my situation or degree qualify for any other types of immigrant visa? I suspect not but just checking!
  2. Regarding family sponsorship, I do not have any immediate family who are USCs but do have extended family that are (uncles/aunts/cousins). Is this an avenue that I can explore?

Thanks for all your help/input, this forum is a great resource!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

1. Unclear if you qualify for a H1b, is your degree in the subject needed for your job? Obviously something to discuss with your Employer and their Lawyers.

2. No

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

H1b requires a bachelor's, or work experience in lieu, the degree has to be in the field. If you degree is in the Medical are the job needs to require that area degree.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.