espared12

I-751 January 2017 Filers

2,600 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
6 minutes ago, GBOS said:

I think the focus now is to clear I-751 hurdle for all of us.  You can worry about N-400 later.

First no cost advice would be to ask USCIS at your field office if you should file N-400 under the 3-year rule, given your circumstances.  Or would it be better to wait and file under the 5-year rule.

If you decide to file under the 3-year rule, the worst it can happen is they denied your application because you are not satisfying the 3-year requirements, so you lost money there.  But you will then be eligible to apply again when you meet the 5-year requirements.  Getting a divorce does not bar you to become a citizen.

Only serious criminal convictions will do that.

Sorry, i should've been clear;  i filed i 751 feb 2017, and n 400 feb 2018.. my wife left late june 2018.

I have both cases in process. I've called and and sent messages to USCIS, just about every other week since jul 2018, but they just keep saying "keep waiting". (and other random things, if you look through my other comments i've posted over the past 7-8 months)

I'm just curious if others are in the same timeline as myself, and if they also did n 400 / going through divorce .

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
On 5/17/2018 at 12:03 PM, dnd14 said:

Yes I did, it was transferred to NBC. I got the transfer notice on 4th of April 2018, and it was approved on 10th of May, 2018

I'm confused, was your case transferred to NBC in Lee Summit or NCS in Nebraska?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, classyam said:

I'm confused, was your case transferred to NBC in Lee Summit or NCS in Nebraska?

it was transferred to Lee's summit, but when talking to tier 2 , they said it was transferred right back to CA.....?   I had told one of them that Fargo had said that my case was there in March 2018, and then she said "I guess it's in Fargo then..."  ...

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well folks, I had my interview(s) on Monday in Duluth MN.  Duluth is a small Application Support Center, and it looks fairly new...by that I mean it looks as though the office equipment and such has not been there very long.  The officer there is an older gentleman, stern looking but with a sense of humor in a no nonsense way.  My appointment was for 10:30 and we arrived shortly after 10AM.  Security was easy and pleasant.  We were directed to the second floor to room 208, where we checked in at the desk.  The lady asked for my appointment letter, took it and said that she would tell the officer we were there and he would call me when he was ready.  

It was nearly 11AM when he called me.  I went in alone, figuring that if the IO wanted my husband to come in, he would say so.  He did not.  The officer had my file(s) on the desk.  He spent a lot of time reading over my files, and entering stuff into the computer.  He asked to see my green card, my Canadian passport, and my state drivers license. I explained that the IO in Saint Paul had taken my green card when I got my first I551 stamp, and I gave him the photocopy of my green card that was given to me there.  He made copies of these and gave them back to me.  Then he said, "I see you have a pending I-751. I will have to adjudicate that before we continue.  I expected him to ask my husband to join us, but he did not.   He asked me how many times I had been married, how many times my husband had been married, and then how long we have been married to each other.  I answered all of these, and he said, "So you haven't kicked him to the curb?" He didn't smile but his voice did.  Then he unlocked a file drawer and brought out a stamp, and stamped my I-751 file "Approved".  

At this point he began having issues with the computer program, and it took quite a while before he could proceed.  He finally was able to move forward, he had me stand and take the oath to tell the truth....  He asked me how many Supreme Court judges there are; what is the capital of my state; who was one of the writers of the Federation Papers; what one of the reasons the colonists came to America; what is the political party of the present President.....and I can't for the life of me remember the last one, but I was counting in my head and I got six correct.  Then he had me read the sentence "Who can vote".  Then he had me write "Citizens can vote".  He asked me about my military service in Canada, and about the unions I had belonged to, and we chatted a little bit about each.  Then he asked me all of the questions at the end of the N400 application.  He updated my employer, as that had changed last year and I was unable to change it online.  He had me read the changes and what we talked about on the iPad.  I signed the iPad again.  He printed out a form for me which said that I had passed the tests and my application was being recommended for approval.  He told me my oath ceremony would be held in Saint Paul, and that it shouldn't be too long of a wait...but don't hold him to it, lol.  He thanked me for my patience and I thanked him, and I left.  I was in the office for about an hour and a half, as I got out at 12:30.

I was surprised that the I-751 was so easy.  I had a whole file folder full of evidence, and I never once opened it.  Anyway, that was my experience. I sure hope my oath ceremony is closer to home.  I did go online to check case status and got an error message.  I have read that that is common.  I tried again about an hour later ad they had posted in my account that they had approved my application and placed me in line for an oath ceremony.  I won't attempt updating the chart, I don't want to mess it up. :) 

ROC

01/18/2017   Sent in I-751

01/26/2017   Check cashed

01/28/2017   Received NOA dated 01/20/2017

02/16/2017   Biometrics done

10/24/2017   Traveled to Minneapolis for I551 stamp

02/26/2018     Case received by Field Office - S. Paul

05/012018     Case transferred to another USCIS office for processing 

N-400

02/02/2018    Filed N-400 online

02/05/2018    NOA online - NOA letter 02/09/2018

02/21/2018     Biometrics walk-in

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.