Jump to content

Will my not working/wanting to study hinder my German husband's ability to come with me to the US?

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


American living in Germany with my husband here. He's German and we've been married since this August. He's currently doing his master's and I'm working. I really want to be a nurse, and was planning on returning to school to do an accelerated BSN program (I already have a BA) once my husband is done with his master's. The problem is, will the fact that I won't be working when I move back to the US prevent him from getting residence?

He plans on working after his master's and hopefully will begin searching for a job in the US. We have a size-able amount of savings and we will have more once we go back to the US (I hope), because I'm working right now. Will this be enough, or would it be best for me to find a job in the US while we file for his residence permit/visa? I'm a bit overwhelmed, starting is really scary and I'm worried about our future in the US, which is where I truly want to be, especially because nursing is not a field that's really as broad/highly esteemed and challenging in Germany as it is in the US. Has anyone every gone through anything similar? Will the fact that I'll have been an expat for two or three years hinder our application for him? I've retained my US driver's license and permanent address at my parent's place, as well as American credit cards and bank accounts open.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


You will need to meet the financial requirements of the I-864. There are 3 basic requirements..

1. You need proof that you have or will have a US domicile. Your DL and financial accounts are a good start. School enrollment. Looking for an apartment or a letter from your folks stating you will live with them would help.

2. You must have file US tax returns for the last three years or have a legal excuse. US citizens are taxed on worldwide income even if nothing is earned in the US. If you lived abroad and earned less than $90,000, you will not owe any US taxes with the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.

3. You have to have a current income of around $20,000. Without this income, you will need a Joint Sponsor who does have the income or assets to meet this requirement. One of your parent can be the Joint Sponsor. Having a JS does not excuse you from the having a US domicile or filing tax returns.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.