Jump to content

I don't have a US passport for Form I-485

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


I am petitioning for my parents as a US citizen. I was naturalized a couple of months ago by serving in the army. Unfortunately, I have not gotten to making a US passport yet as I did not think that I would need one right away. I see that on the instructions for Form I-485 they require a certificate (which I have) of naturalization as well as a copy of US passport on the list. My question is, is it okay to send one or the other or do they require both the certificate as well as the US passport copy? I am finalizing everything for my parents but the US passport would take me another month or so which I do not want to wait. :( Thank you

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

you have to prove you are a citizen the passport is just an easy way to prove it.

good luck

Thank you for your reply. So does that mean I am required to send both documents? Or will they be okay with just the certificate of naturalization?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.