Jump to content

Changes to N-400 application required documents

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

I struggled with finding the latest required documents checklist for N-400. As of September 2016, you're NOT required to submit photographs if you reside in the US. See below for the list of required documents only. Do not send your tax returns, photographs etc, only the documents listed. Also, check the latest N-400 instructions carefully by going to USCIS N-400 landing page. The google search may bring up outdated search result page. Always go by the instruction in the pdf document. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Below is a list of documents to submit with your Form N-400.

1. Photographs. Only applicants who reside overseas must provide two identical color photographs of yourself taken recently. The photos must have a white to off-white background, be printed on thin paper with a glossy finish, and be unmounted and unretouched. Passport-style photos must be 2” x 2”. The photos must be in color with full face, frontal view on a white to off-white background. Head height should measure 1” to 1 3/8” from top of hair to bottom of chin, and eye height is between 1 1/8” to 1 3/8” from bottom of photo. Your head must be bare, unless contrary to your religious beliefs. Using a pencil or felt pen, lightly print your name and A-Number (if any) on the back of the photo.

2. Photocopy of Permanent Resident Card. Provide a photocopy of the front and back of your Form I-551 (Permanent Resident Card). USCIS must be able to read the information on the photocopy. If you have lost your Form I-551, attach a photocopy of any other entry document or a photocopy of a receipt showing that you have filed Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.

3. Photocopy of your Current Legal Marital Status Document. Provide a photocopy of your current marriage certificate, divorce, annulment decree, or death certificate of former spouse. 4. Documents for Military Personnel or Spouses of Military Personnel: A. Form N-426 (Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service). If you are a current member of the U.S. Armed Forces, provide a completed and certified Form N-426. If you are separated from the military, provide an uncertified Form N-426.

4. Documents for Military Personnel or Spouses of Military Personnel:

A. Form N-426 (Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service). If you are a current member of the U.S. Armed Forces, provide a completed and certified Form N-426. If you are separated from the military, provide an uncertified Form N-426. Form N-400 Instructions 09/29/16 Y Page 11 of 18

B. Evidence of Military Service. If you ever served in the U.S. Armed Forces, provide a Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, DD Form 214, for all periods of service. If you are currently serving in an active duty status within the United States or abroad, you should submit a photocopy of your official military orders.

C. Spouses of Military Personnel have additional requirements. Refer to Naturalization Information for Military Personnel (M-599) for eligibility requirements. You can obtain this information on the USCIS website at www.uscis.gov/military

Below is a list of documents to bring with you to your Form N-400 interview.

1. Permanent Resident Card

2. State-Issued Identification. Bring a valid State-issued identification, such as a driver’s license.

3. Passports and Travel Documents. Bring valid and expired passports, as well as any travel documents issued by USCIS.

4. Evidence of Your Current Legal Marital Status. Bring the original of all marriage certificates, divorce or annulment decrees, death certificates, and other official records to confirm your marital history and your current legal marital status.

5. Evidence of the Termination of Your Spouse’s Prior Marriage(s). Bring the original of your current spouse’s divorce certificate. If your spouse is widowed, bring the original of his or her former spouse’s death certificate. If neither of these are available, bring any other evidence that indicates the termination of your spouse’s marriage for consideration.

6. Name Change(s). If you have changed your name at any time, bring the document(s) that legally changed your name(s), such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, name change petition, or other official record if you ever changed your name.

7. Other Documents. Depending on the circumstances, you should bring certain documents to your interview. You may also submit copies of these documents with your application. For example:

A. Spouse of a U.S. Citizen. Bring the following items to your interview if you are applying for naturalization on the basis of your marriage to a U.S. citizen: (1) Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for at least 3 years at the time you file your Form N-400. Such evidence may include: a birth certificate (if your spouse never lost U.S. citizenship since birth), Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, or Form FS-240 Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America; (2) Evidence of the termination of all your prior marriages; and (3) Evidence that you and your spouse have lived in marital union for at least 3 years at the time you file your Form N-400. Such evidence may include: (a) Joint bank and credit card statements; (b) Leases or mortgages; © Birth certificates of children; (d) Insurance policies; and (e) Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you and your spouse filed for the past 3 years (or an IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years).

B. Spouse of a U.S. Citizen Who is Regularly Stationed Abroad. Bring evidence demonstrating your U.S. citizen spouse’s qualifying employment abroad if you are filing under section 319(b). Such evidence may include: (1) The employer’ name and nature of the employer’s business; Form N-400 Instructions 09/29/16 Y Page 12 of 18 (2) The nature of the work the U.S. citizen spouse is performing; (3) Documentation to establish the employing entity is owned in whole or in part by U.S. interests; and (4) Documentation to establish the employing entity is engaged in whole or in part in the development of the foreign trade and U.S. commerce. In addition, bring the following: (1) Your U.S. citizen spouse’s travel orders which include your name as a spouse; (2) Documentation to establish your spouse’s employment abroad is scheduled to last for at least 1 year from the date you filed Form N-400; and (3) A written statement of your intent to reside abroad with your spouse, and to live in the United States immediately after your spouse’s employment abroad ends.

C. Children and Support of Dependents. Bring evidence that all of the children listed on your Form N-400 are your children. Such evidence may include: (1) Birth certificates for all children you claim, or a court order naming you as the parent; or (2) Final adoption certificates or decrees for all children you have legally adopted. In addition, if you have dependent children living apart from you, bring evidence that you support each dependent child and that you have complied with child support obligations. Bring photocopies of the court or government order and evidence you have complied with the order if a court has ordered you to provide financial support for a spouse, ex-spouse, or children. Such evidence may include: (1) Cancelled checks or money order receipts; (2) A court or agency document showing child support payments; (3) Evidence of wage garnishments; or (4) A notarized letter from the parent or guardian who cares for your children.

D. Tax Returns and Overdue Taxes. Bring photocopies of income tax returns that you filed with the IRS for the past 5 years, or 3 years if filing for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen. Tax returns are not required for every case. However, USCIS strongly encourages you to bring your tax returns; especially if you are filing based on marriage to a U.S. citizen or have traveled outside the United States for a period that lasted 6 months or more. You can request copies of Federal tax documents at your local IRS office or www.irs.gov. You may also bring an original IRS tax transcript listing tax information for the past 5 years (3 years if filing on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen). To obtain a free IRS tax transcript, visit www.irs.gov. Select “Tools” and then select “Order a Return or Account Transcript.” For assistance, you can also call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946. If you have any Federal, state, or local taxes that are overdue, bring: (1) A signed agreement from the IRS, state, or local tax office showing you have filed a tax return and arranged to pay the taxes you owe; and (2) Documentation from the IRS, state, or local tax office showing the current status of your repayment program.

E. Trips Outside the United States. Bring evidence that you maintained your continuous residence in the United States if you have taken any trips outside the United States that lasted more than 6 months but less than 1 year. You may submit documentation which includes, but is not limited to, evidence that during the absence: (1) You did not terminate your employment in the United States or work overseas; (2) Your immediate family remained in the United States; or (3) You retained full access to your place of residence in the United States. Form N-400 Instructions 09/29/16 Y Page 13 of 18 For example: (1) An IRS tax return transcript or an IRS-certified tax return listing tax information relevant to your absence for the last 5 years (or 3 years if you are applying on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen); (2) Rent or mortgage payments and pay statements; (3) Bank, credit card, and loan statements showing regular transactions; (4) Proof of car registration and insurance; (5) A photocopy of your passport showing entry and exit stamps; or (6) Any other document that shows you have not abandoned your residence in the United States.

F. Selective Service Registration. If you are a man between 18 and 26 years of age, provide proof of your registration with the Selective Service. If you are 26 years of age or older, provide proof that you registered with the Selective Service when you were required to do so between 18 and 26 years of age. If you were required to register and did not, provide a typed or printed statement explaining why you did not register and provide a status information letter from the Selective Service. For more information about Selective Service registration, or how to get proof that you registered, visit www.sss.gov or call 1-888-655-1825.

G. Arrests/Convictions. If you have ever been arrested or detained anywhere in the world, by any law enforcement officer, for any reason, and no charges were filed, bring:

(1) An original or court-certified arrest report; and

(2) An official, certified statement from the arresting agency or applicable court confirming that no charges were filed. If you have ever been arrested or detained anywhere in the world, by any law enforcement officer, for any reason, and charges were filed, bring:

(1) Certified photocopies of all arrest reports, charging documents, court dispositions, sentencing reports, and any other relevant documents.

(2) You may include any additional evidence in your favor concerning the circumstances of your arrests or convictions that you would like USCIS to consider.

(3) If you were placed on probation, you must provide evidence to show that you completed your probationary sentence. If you have ever been convicted or placed in an alternative sentencing program (such as diversion) or rehabilitative program (such as a drug treatment or community service program), bring:

(1) An original or court-certified sentencing record for each incident; and (2) Evidence that you completed your sentence, such as a probation record, parole record, or evidence that you completed an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program. Copies must be certified by the issuing agency. If you have ever had any arrest or conviction vacated, set aside, sealed, expunged, or otherwise removed from your record, bring: (1) An original or court-certified court order vacating, setting aside, sealing, expunging or otherwise removing the arrest or conviction from your record; or (2) An original statement from the court that no record exists of your arrest or conviction. NOTE: You must provide the documentation even if someone including a judge, law enforcement officer, or attorney told you that you no longer have a record or told you that you do not have to disclose the information. Form N-400 Instructions 09/29/16 Y Page 14 of 18 NOTE: You must submit documentation of traffic incidents if: (1) The incident involved alcohol or drugs;

(2) The incident led to an arrest; or (3) The incident seriously injured another person. You do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines or incidents that did not involve an arrest or did not involve drugs or alcohol, if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 or points on your driving record.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can always find the latest information at https://www.uscis.gov/n-400

In this case, this is the latest list of required documents: https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/article/attachments.pdf

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here



Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card



Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.