Jump to content
Lee & Lei

NVC Document Question re: originals/copies

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

So, I have read and heard conflicting information from multiple sources regarding whether you need originals/certified copies for the NVC requirements or if clear photocopies are acceptable.

Background: My wife (the beneficiary) is from the Philippines. I am the American sponsor/petitioner. We both live together in Kuwait, and are applying from Kuwait. We are just now beginning the I-130 process, but I want to make sure all our ducks are in a row so hopefully things go as smoothly as possible. Knowledge is power.

1) She does not have her original birth certificate anymore, only NSO issued copies. She has two copies issued by the NSO, one with red ribbon from the DFA and one without. Which should I send to the NVC and which should I keep for the interview later? Or will they accept a photocopy of it?

2) We were married in a civil ceremony in Kuwait, and as such, our marriage certificate is originally in Arabic. We had it translated to English by a professional service, but is there anything else we need to do with this? Should we have it notarized? Also, how many copies should we obtain of the English translation? I have read USICS only accepts ORIGINALS of translations, so assuming that is true, we would need three copies, one for USICS, one for NVC, and one for the interview, right? Or is that not the case?

3) I only have one copy of my birth certificate as well -- do I need to obtain certified copies from the US or would NVC accept a photocopy?

Thanks for any information that anybody can provide.

Edited by knightofdight

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Only photocopies for the NVC and USICS.

For the interview you need to present the originals, and leave them with a photocopy.

For the translations look here: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/KU.html

The below quote is from the checklist I received.

All documents not in English or in the official language of the country in which the visa application will
be processed must be accompanied by a certified translation. Your translation must include a statement
signed by the translator that states the following:
- Translation is accurate, and
- Translator is competent to translate.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

About that... all my English translations have a stamp from the company stating "This is a certified true and accurate translation of the attached _______ (original document language)"

Would that be good enough? Or should I still have them hand-write somewhere that "I am competent to translate to English and this translation is accurate to the best of my knowledge"?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.