Joon And Cassie

U.S. Consulate/Embassy in South Korea? [2 questions]

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Hi guys! I am new and really gaining a lot of information by reading through this forum. You're all great!

I actually have many questions but for now, from reading through some things, I am curious about the embassy in South Korea.

I am in the U.S. (Oklahoma) and am petitioning to get my fiance here to me. We just now started the whole process but in several months, or however long our processing takes, everything will be forwarded to the U.S. embassy in Korea and he will interview there.

I have 2 questions on this.

1.) does anyone know what type of "overall attitude" the embassy has for interviews in South Korea? [i ask this because I've seen many people talk about how they are in certain countries/areas so I was just curious the take on South Korea from people who have dealt there.

2.) During this process, this coming June, I was going to try to go to Korea just to visit and to see my fiance's family. I don't even know at this point if I'd be approved for that during a K-1 processing but if I were, and "if," by odd chance, the interview was scheduled during my visit, would I go with him or just stay away/

...I'm sorry if these questions or any of my future ones sound silly. I am "just" beginning so I'm not as seasoned and smart in this process as most of you guys are yet. Bare with me!

Anyway I hope some people can answer my questions and thank you for your time! God bless!!! :energy:

-Cascadia (Cassie.)

Timeline for Joon & Cascadia:

December 9, 2016 (Friday): Mailed off the I-129F packet from my local EZ Ship & Copy place at 3:57 p.m.

December 11, 2016 (Saturday): USPS mail tracking shows that I-129F packet arrived at the Dallas Lockbox

December 19, 2016 (Monday): Received text and email with a WAC case number and notice of routing to California Service Center

December 24, 2016 (Saturday): Received snail mail NOA1 receipt, which show the Notice date as December 17, 2016

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Cassie, you can go atop any VJ page, click "Reviews: Embassy," and see what people have said.

"Embassy Info" is another good link.

You can look for relevant threads in the "Asia: East & Pacific" regional forum.

I'm moving your thread there, because of your country-specific queries.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Not sure I understand your question about "overall attitude".

I was able to attend my wife's K-1 interview at the embassy in Seoul. The consular officer even swore me in and asked me some questions. While waiting for our interview I overheard other people's interviews and I noticed that the beneficiaries that attended the interview by themselves the first question was "Where is your fiance(e)?" and they got a lot more questions about they relationship. But my experience was from a year ago so you may want to read more recent reviews.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

My husband and I (along with our 15 month old) went to our visa interview on December 16th.

You would definately be allowed to attend. Bring your passport with you. The front gate people are very nice and let people in quickly.

I HIGHLY recommend arriving early. There was a huge line for non citizens but You can wait in the American citizen line with him which is much faster. If you get to the front too early be prepared to wait until 15 mins before your interview time. I saw that some people had to do that. I think they let us in early because we had the baby with us. They definitely have hearts!

The person taking the papers is a woman and is slightly rude/serious but thankfully she isn't the interviewing officer.

As far as I know/have read, there are 2 immigration officers: one Korean looking one and one blonde blue eyed one. Both can speak Korean fluently.

We got the blonde guy. He was nice. Asked about 6 questions. Then it was over. If you don't go together, your fiance will be asked more questions about your relationship.

We are in "administrative processing" right now... sooo sucky. We've been waiting for a year and we thought we would know on Dec. 16th but we needed another doc translated. They have my husband's passport so....all we can do is check the website and hope...

If I were you... I would try to be there. It's nerve wracking and if he gets a blue slip requesting more documents you will be able to ask the right questions. It's better to know exactly what's up yourself than to get bits and pieces from your fiancé's memory.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.