Stinky Monkey

PLEASE HELP WITH EXTENDED STAY IN UK

7 posts in this topic

Please help, I returned to the UK in March as my 92 year old mother is seriously ill. I am an only child and there is no one else to look after her, so I have had to stay. She is on end of life care and I am her 24 hour carer. My husband is over visiting but I need to know what I need to do as I know that I am only allowed out of the US for a year. I really would appreciate your help, I dont have the time to do the research as I am so busy looking after her and find it so hard to concentrate on research as it is such a hard time for me. Please please could someone tell me what I should do I was wondering if I got a nurse to look after my mother for a few hours that both my husband and I should go to the Embassy thank you to anyone who can help

Assuming you are a green card holder, did you apply for a re-entry permit before you left?

If you are a citizen already you don't need to do anything.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Dear JFH. Yes I am a green card holder, I never did anything when I left the USA as I just had a call to get on the next flight over as they thought my mother would not make it through the night. Since then she has been put on end of life care and was told a few months ago she only had weeks to live but she is still doing better than expected. As you can imagine I cant leave her

You'll need an SB-1 then and have to demonstrate that you stayed out of the country for more than a year due to circumstances beyond your control:

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/returning-residents.html

It's not guaranteed that you will be approved because it's usually illness of the green card holder (not a relative) that they consider to be "beyond your control" but since you are the primary career you could have a good case.

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Thank you so much I will take a look at the form, to see if I should do it now or when the year is up as I dont know how long I will be here I can get a letter from her doctor explaining the situation and I have records of her care thank you so much I just cant concentrate on much at the moment and your help is greatly appreciated

All the best to you.

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.