Brittany_Barrie

Administrative process is a Joke!!

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sierra Leone
Timeline

Hi my case has been on Ap for a year now I've done everything to know what's going on! Now the embassy went to my fiancés dads house asking him questions about our relationship! So I guess they didn't believe us. We are still on AP though, what should I do?

Have you tried the Senators Office?

At least they are investigating....vs Flat denial

Edited by Catuela

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sierra Leone
Timeline

Yes recently I have and I guess that's what made the embassy go to my fiancés parents house to ask questions. They asked his father if he's aware of our relationship and if I talk to his dad his dad said we don't talk because of the language barrier which is true. Idk what more they want its crazy.

Hi my case has been on Ap for a year now I've done everything to know what's going on! Now the embassy went to my fiancés dads house asking him questions about our relationship! So I guess they didn't believe us. We are still on AP though, what should I do?

This process gets nastier if the intending immigrant is from a poor/high fraud country. unfair huh ? unfortunately, it is the standard and that is how it goes.

Filed: Timeline

Do you think I'll have to wait another year?

Have to? Do you *have* to? I wouldn't. You could *choose* to wait another year, but I would probably be overseas getting married and switching to a spouse visa. I don't know your specific situation and if you are able to go that route.

I was clear on this with my fiancée she was trying to get a B2 tourist visa to visit the USA and meet my family, friends, and see the area before deciding "is this a nation I want to one day live in?" [we had discussed marriage, she asked me to marry her, I said I would, but I said that for business reasons I would like to wait until August 2017 so I can take care of additional business concerns], anyway her tourist visa application was denied on 214(b) grounds, so we sat down [we were both in Brazil at the time] and discussed the situation. I asked, "I don't think I can be back in Brazil until next year, do we need to wait that long to get married? do you want that long?"

I met with the personal secretary/scheduler for the President of Brazil and asked if they could arrange a meeting with the President of Brazil so I could discuss the situation and ask his office to intercede with the US Embassy on my behalf to get them to review all of the documents I had submitted in support of her tourist visa application. They were not in a position to do anything in regards to influencing the US Embassy. My supporting letters acknowledged her general lack of ties to Brazil, but I was willing to make a sworn statement that I would not help her circumvent US immigration laws and that she was going to return to Brazil at the end of her tourist visa and that our plan as of that time would be to marry in Brazil at some point in July-September of 2017. The consular officer never considered, or even looked at, my supporting documents. The main thing I wanted was the consular officer to examine my documents regarding my bank records and my sworn statement that I would not violate immigration laws nor assist another in violating immigration laws and that I am committing to upholding the laws of the USA and that she only wanted to visit to spend more time with me, meet my family and friends, get an idea if the USA was a place she might one day want to consider moving to. Around this time we were discussing where to possibly live, and she and I both agreed that I would be miserable in Brazil, even she has been miserable in Brazil... The general idea was Chile, Uruguay, Switzerland, or somewhere in central/eastern Europe.

Asking for the help of the President of Brazil was odd and it will probably rank as the most unusual thing I have ever done in my life. It was about 11:00 pm the day after she had been denied the B2 visa and I approached the gatehouse of the presidential palace, I walked up to the main suit/guard, a man who put his hand on his pistol. I assumed a Masonic stance, gave a Masonic signal, and said a Masonic phrase [in Portuguese], then I offered my Scottish Rite and my Masonic Lodge Dues cards, and stated, "I am an American, a businessman, I hold the 32nd Degree in Masonry in the USA, I am requesting Masonic assistance and relief from your President who is a Master Mason, may I speak with him?" The guard calmed down and removed his hand from his gun but he told me that it was highly irregular for anybody to show up outside of the Presidential Palace at that hour and that the President was not receiving visitors at that time, I was told to go to an official government building the next morning and meet with his scheduler/secretary. The secretary/scheduler asked me to provide a written summary/explanation, of several pages, explaining the situation and what I wanted done.

Anyway, during all of this, with the denial of the B2 visa we both decided we didn't want to wait until August 2017 when I would be able to come back to Brazil to marry her in Brazil, and we would immediately begin the K1 visa process and marry as soon as the visa was approved and she was in the USA.

We discussed, well she asked me, "what happens if this is denied or if something doesn't work?" and I said, "I will drop everything I am doing in the USA and be back in Brazil immediately and we will marry in Brazil and then I will sponsor you on a different visa that will be subject to judicial review and I will be able to sue in district court and get a court order compelling them to admit you as my wife, because it will be an immigrant visa if we are married... If necessary I will just liquidate everything I have in the USA, hand over a few of my business interests to some family and friends to operate, and then we'll be together in South America. If the USA won't let you into the USA then I will leave the USA behind and forget the USA."

She was quite insistent, "but you hate Brazil and don't want to live here..."

I explained, "of course I hate Brazil and won't live in Brazil, but we have discussed Uruguay and Chile, I also like Paraguay."

I would *NOT* wait another year.

Think about your social connections, your friends, your network, who you might have influence or pull with.

I would be on the phone with government officials, I would be calling friends who are immigration attorneys, I would be calling friends I went to college with, I would be calling friends from law school, I would be calling past business associates, I would be calling local officials and people of influence from the country in question. I would ask anybody and everybody who might be able or willing to offer help, to consider offering help.

If necessary I would start a "go fund me" page to raise money to get done whatever you need done. I do not know if you are well-heeled or of limited means, but I hope you have the resources to see this through, and if you start a go-fund me page post a link up and I will be glad to start the pot rolling because I know what it is like to be confused and feeling desperate and hopeless in a foreign country and wondering "what is the next step? where do I go from here?" Also if you want to message me I can refer you to some immigration attys who might be willing to look over any docs you provide any weigh in.

I feel very blessed that I had/have the resources and I was able to rely on friends, connections, and the help of local officials, businessmen, and the international brotherhood provided by Freemasonry, to get what I needed.

I also feel blessed that I have been secure in the knowledge that "if necessary I can liquidate a lot of assets in the USA and move to South America to be with her, or move to anywhere the two of us would want to go."

I was very despondent on a number of occasions as I explained to family and close friends, "I am not used to this, my future being in the hands of bureaucrats, my life being on hold, I am used to be in charge, being in command, being able to steer things the way I want, being able to charge forward and get done whatever I want or need to get done, I am used to having a certain sense of certainty of success but right now I am scared, I don't know if this will be worked out the way she and I want it and I don't know exactly how to resolve it, am I ready to leave the USA behind, I think so, but I am scared right now."

I have always trusted in the universe, in fate, God, whatever word you want to use, and I have always known that I would be with her, but I have been [frankly/honestly] terrified at the prospect that I might have to leave the USA behind, even though I have been more or less ready to do so if it came to that.

I wouldn't wait another year, but that is me. I wouldn't have waited a year to begin with, I don't think I could have waited. She once told me, "you are the most impatient person I have ever met." I said, "yeah, I know, I get that a lot, Americans are nowhere near as patient as Latins, I am probably the most impatient person in South America right now, and in the USA you are going to find that the average person is far more impatient than the average Latin American, but not as bad as me, but I don't have any sense of patience, I don't work that way."

I asked the atty who prepared the K1 petition, "How long will this take?" and she said it might take 6+ months. Everything was sent in August and the first notice that they received anything was in the middle of August. I asked them to "please move on this as fast as possible and get this done before December of 2016 so she can get here in December of 2016 or sometime before the year ends." I stated why I wanted this done, how it was best for my schedule, how I had many pressing matters on an ongoing basis... They did it, so I have no room to gripe or complain.

The Serbs supposedly have a saying, "complain to somebody who can help you." I did a lot of that in Brazil and I received more help than I thought I would ever receive, more help than I thought I deserved to receive...

I would be on the phone with anybody and everybody who might be able and willing to help you. My story is crazy, intense, absurd, and almost surreal to the point of making me wonder, "did all of this really happen?" even though I was there and I know it happened. I explained to a friend, "I lived through all of this and I still have trouble believing it, and I was there!"

Put up a go-fund me page and get a link up for it.

Edited by LoneWanderer1307

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Do you think I'll have to wait another year?

I do not think you have to wait another year, they will review the results from the field investigation (home visit) and

make a decision soon, unless they have to verify other documents or do security checks.

Hopefully you will hear some positive news soon, you can email them and inquire about your current status

once a month or so.

We were in AP 16 months and then the visa was refused and we re filed, our visa journey took 5 years.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

I do not think you have to wait another year, they will review the results from the field investigation (home visit) and

make a decision soon, unless they have to verify other documents or do security checks.

Hopefully you will hear some positive news soon, you can email them and inquire about your current status

once a month or so.

We were in AP 16 months and then the visa was refused and we re filed, our visa journey took 5 years.

You mean after 16 month they refused your visa?? What was the reason ?? Ur case was K1 too??

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

You mean after 16 month they refused your visa?? What was the reason ?? Ur case was K1 too??

Yes a K1. Blanket statement was "for immigration purposes only" in other words they didn't believe our relationship was

genuine.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Yes a K1. Blanket statement was "for immigration purposes only" in other words they didn't believe our relationship was

genuine.

OMG.. how sad :(

My case is under AP for 7 month and its kiliing..

Hope to come over this long jouney so soon ????

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.