yongxiong

Question about the financial requirement...please help me out

5 posts in this topic

Hello.

I have a concern about applying for the K-1 visa. My question may be a little hard to understand but please help me out.

My fiancee and I are going to apply for the K-1. I know that the financial requirement is 20,025 a year, but I only make 18,500 annually. However, I recently started working full time now and my salary is higher than what it previously was. I've been working at my workplace for about 3 years now as a part-timer, and just recently I became a full-timer. I guess my question is, will my salary be high enough to reach the requirement?

• In the interview process of the K-1 visa, will we be asked to show our most recent tax return?
  • How is the financial requirement determined?
  • Will my most recent paystubs determine if I make the financial requirement?
Edited by yongxiong

Hello.

I have a concern about applying for the K-1 visa. My question may be a little hard to understand but please help me out.

My fiancee and I are going to apply for the K-1. I know that the financial requirement is 20,025 a year, but I only make 18,500 annually. However, I recently started working full time now and my salary is higher than what it previously was. I've been working at my workplace for about 3 years now as a part-timer, and just recently I became a full-timer. I guess my question is, will my salary be high enough to reach the requirement?

• In the interview process of the K-1 visa, will we be asked to show our most recent tax return?

Short answer: You'll need to have it. Your fiancé will bring the I-134 with them to the interview, to prove that they won't become a public charge once in the U.S. Evidence would be recent paystubs, letter from your employer, and most recent tax transcript. You could also include a bank letter or statement if you don't meet the minimum income, since savings/assets can be used to help meet the requirement.

The financial requirements are based on your household size (people who are dependent on you) and national poverty guidelines USCIS chart.

I'm not 100% sure- the employment letter and stubs help in showing you have been earning more, but if they look at your most recent tax transcript, they'll see you were below the poverty line which could cause issues. As a back up, is it possible to have a joint sponsor, such as a parent, help out for the I-134? IF you can't have a joint sponsor, but with your current pay/work schedule will make the $20k+ minimum on this years upcoming tax return, waiting might be a better option to play it safe.

Hopefully this helps a bit, good luck! :)

K-1  (134 Days)

10/24/16 I-129F Received
10/27/16 NOA 1
11/28/16 NOA 2
12/16/16 NVC Case Number

01/04/17 Case Ready!
02/16/17 Medical Appointment
03/07/17 Interview- APPROVED!

05/25/17 PO

koalafornia.gif.7dcdef8e779766ea5ce2f681e19e19fe.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.