MichaelMF

K1 Fiance P3 Checklist Questions

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone,

Just got my P3 via email today. Yay! But now I'm more confused than ever so I have some questions about the checklist.

1) It doesn't really specify what needs to be original and what can be photocopies. I'm more concerned about my fiance's stuff.

2) I never even considered this before reading some posts here but does the birth certificate have to be the long form one, or can the card sized one be ok?

3) I've been divorced and I have the decree but do I also have to include my marriage certificate? (Not sure where it is)

4) Do I leave the items I don't have like military records (I wasn't in the forces) unchecked?

5) What kinds of evidence do they need for proof of domicile?

6) Does my fiance's letter of intent to marry need to be the original or can a scanned version be acceptable?

Thanks! Very excited.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Although this seems to be what everyone is saying... that's not entirely correct.

Not everybody was issued a long form birth certificate. I wasn't, and none of my brothers were. We were all born in Ontario between 82-86, so that may have changed since then.

At my interview, the lady asked for the long form BC, and I simply told her that I was never issued one in Ontario. She accepted my card size one (the only one that was ever issued).

Also, my parents completed immigration and citizenship, they used their card size BC through the whole process without issues.

So if you have a long form BC, or have access to one, I would certainly bring it... but don't panic if the thing never existed. Again, I got approved with my regular card size BC.

Good luck!

Edited by FOSSLGRL

Although this seems to be what everyone is saying... that's not entirely correct.

Not everybody was issued a long form birth certificate. I wasn't, and none of my brothers were. We were all born in Ontario between 82-86, so that may have changed since then.

At my interview, the lady asked for the long form BC, and I simply told her that I was never issued one in Ontario. She accepted my card size one (the only one that was ever issued).

Also, my parents completed immigration and citizenship, they used their card size BC through the whole process without issues.

So if you have a long form BC, or have access to one, I would certainly bring it... but don't panic if the thing never existed. Again, I got approved with my regular card size BC.

Good luck!

Regardless if you had one originally, you CAN and SHOULD order a long form birth certificate. It's not generally difficult and generally doesn't cost much more than a replacement birth certificate anyhow. It specifically says you're supposed to have the long form so the CO wasn't following regulation when she allowed you to continue and granted you a visa (aka you have it in hand) without the long form birth certificate. Basically, you were lucky and I wouldn't suggest anyone do what you have done. I have seen people on the forum, from Canada, have to send their long form birth certificate to Montreal after interview and end up waiting a few extra months because they didn't have that item.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

As a note, I was born in BC in 1981. I don't have my original birth certificate and the replacement was badly damaged. I needed it asap while living in Alberta for a new passport. I ordered it online, with expedited shipping and it cost me $60 (half of which was the shipping!)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Good luck!

I've seen some oddities happen, it's nice that it worked for you.

However, with Montreal being Montreal and how slow things are once you have to resubmit anything, I could never tell someone in good conscience to bring less than what is officially required.

Timeline

Hey everyone,

Just got my P3 via email today. Yay! But now I'm more confused than ever so I have some questions about the checklist.

1) It doesn't really specify what needs to be original and what can be photocopies. I'm more concerned about my fiance's stuff.

2) I never even considered this before reading some posts here but does the birth certificate have to be the long form one, or can the card sized one be ok?

3) I've been divorced and I have the decree but do I also have to include my marriage certificate? (Not sure where it is)

4) Do I leave the items I don't have like military records (I wasn't in the forces) unchecked?

5) What kinds of evidence do they need for proof of domicile?

6) Does my fiance's letter of intent to marry need to be the original or can a scanned version be acceptable?

Thanks! Very excited.

1) Bring all original documents that are available to you and have a photocopy of everything.

2) See my above reply, though you should check out the link in the post above mine, to be absolutely safe

3) My fiance's marriage certificate was not required. They did require original copy of his divorce decree with judges seal. I think the marriage certificate is only required if it's between you and the petitioner.

4) I wrote n/a over the items that didn't apply to me

5) I used a copy of my fiance's lease

6) I brought an original signed copy by my fiance, as well as a photocopy.

Basically the more stuff you can bring the better. I brought a whole bunch of stuff that I didn't think I would need... but ended up needing. The original divorce decree caught me off guard, so I was glad to have obtained the original for my interview. They also required my fiance's tax return... even though the I-134 said it was only required if he owned his own business.

Also you will need a photocopy of your birth certificate (both sides) and passport (info page) ... they do not tell you to bring this, but you will need it!

I've seen some oddities happen, it's nice that it worked for you.

However, with Montreal being Montreal and how slow things are once you have to resubmit anything, I could never tell someone in good conscience to bring less than what is officially required.

I agree 100%. Tried editing my post again but it wouldn't let me. I just meant to say that if it was unavailable to him then not to panic, and just bring what you can. From the link you posted... it looks like you can order some type of birth registration document... in that case I would absolutely recommend obtaining that piece if available.

Edited by FOSSLGRL

Timeline

Regardless if you had one originally, you CAN and SHOULD order a long form birth certificate. It's not generally difficult and generally doesn't cost much more than a replacement birth certificate anyhow. It specifically says you're supposed to have the long form so the CO wasn't following regulation when she allowed you to continue and granted you a visa (aka you have it in hand) without the long form birth certificate. Basically, you were lucky and I wouldn't suggest anyone do what you have done. I have seen people on the forum, from Canada, have to send their long form birth certificate to Montreal after interview and end up waiting a few extra months because they didn't have that item.

Again, I am not recommending against bringing it, if available. Sorry if my wording was poor.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks everyone! I'm a bit paranoid that I'll not have one piece exactly as they require and we'll have to start all over again.

I saw somewhere that you also have to bring proof of paying the interview fee. I'm assuming that once I pay I'll be able to print out a receipt?

Timeline

Thanks everyone! I'm a bit paranoid that I'll not have one piece exactly as they require and we'll have to start all over again.

I saw somewhere that you also have to bring proof of paying the interview fee. I'm assuming that once I pay I'll be able to print out a receipt?

Yes that is correct.

Honestly I would just print out every single piece of everything that pertains to your k1 visa. Don't worry, you got this! :)

You would not need to start over even if you were missing something. You wouldnt have made it this far if you were either. ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.