jm302music

Flying USA-Tokyo-Manila, airport security for checked luggage

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks, Tahoma! I really appreciate the extra assurance!

Joel

Your carryon and shoes, purses, etc... go thru the scanners again -

NOT your checked luggage - you dont have access to that.

(At least thats what happened to me going to PH via Incheon.)

K1 VISA
10/23/16....I-129F FEDEX 2nd day to Lewisville, TX
10/26/16....Delivered at Lewisville, TX

10/28/16....NOA1 Text and Email

10/28/16....NOA1 Date on Hard Copy Notice
11/04/16....NOA1 Hard Copy Received

w..a...i...t...i...n...g........ :clock:

11/22/16....NOA2 Text Only

11/22/16....NOA2 Approval Date - no email yet
11/28/16....NOA2 Hard Copy Received

w..a..i...t...i...n...g........ :clock:

12/06/16....Called NVC - No case yet (15 days after NOA2)

12/12/16....Called NVC - I-129F Received - no case number yet.

12/13/16....Case Number Received

12/15/16....Case status set as "In Transit"  to US Embassy in Manilla, PH

12/19/16....Embassy Received. Case status set as "Ready"

12/19/16....Emailed NVC asking for case information as it was never received (I know its too early - Just Do It Anyway)

w..a..i...t...i...n...g........ :clock:

xx/xx/xx......Never Received NVC letter hard copy from NVC (STILL MISSING GRRRRR)

01/03/17....NVC replied to email providing NVC letter and info

01/04/17....Medical Completed

01/04/17....Fedex I-134 (wet signature) and all documents needed from petitioner for CFO and for the USEM interview (employment, divorce decree, etc...)
02/08/17....Interview 
02/09/17....Visa Issued

02/15/17....Visa In Hand :jest:

02/17/17....CFO Interview, Yellow sticker in hand

03/07/17....POE - San Francisco, CA

Filed: Timeline

I've always flown Delta to the Philippines, you're in good hands! And you certainly won't starve, they give you plenty of food and drinks :dancing:

Yes, but once you hit Japan going from USA they get rid off the US flight crew where the woman look like water buffalos and replace them with an Asian based flight crew.

• 2 weeks later...

this is very informative thread for us too.. will fly from USA-Narita-manila with 1.5hrs layover.

I just hope that's enough time to re-check in :dancing:

Thanks!!!

this is very informative thread for us too.. will fly from USA-Narita-manila with 1.5hrs layover.

Thanks!!!

I'll second the question...what airline(s)?

If you are flying the same airline, an airline within the same alliance, or an airline with an interline agreement (basically every MAJOR airline), you shouldn't have to check anything, just do what I described below. If you are flying different airlines and they do not have an agreement (highly unlikely) you would then have to collect your checked bags and recheck them. Doesn't happen often unless passing through certain countries (China being a big one).

With United and Asiana, my layovers in Narita are usually 1.5-3hrs going the other direction (CEB-ICH-NRT-ERW). It will depend on your airline and the time of day, but 1.5 hours *should* be long enough provided the lines are not terribly long. All they do is scan your carry-on, swipe your passport, pass you through a metal detector (and sometimes, take your water), and you are done. The actual process takes about 30 seconds.

The lines can be pretty variable. I usually do it via United (UA 78 from ICH-[737]-NRT-[777]-EWR) and the line for UA78 *sometimes* gets nasty if another United flight happens to arrive at the same time. Even then, I think I waited maybe at most 30-45 minutes? The one time I used Asiana to get to NRT was a very short wait, despite being on a full 747.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks!!!

Just flew that route Friday, had a two hour layover, easily cleared the scan/check with time to spare waiting at the gate.

There isn't a re-check in, your checked luggage is not re-scanned, just carry-on and YOU

Visa chase and citizenship.. DONE!

For helpful information  gif animation     CLICK HERE!

Thanks!!!

I have a little trick I use, it works especially well in Philippines where everyone loves to fall in line. Go to you US doctor have him write you script for handicap parking. Get your parking placard, and when you get to NAIA just show a worker there, You will be put in wheelchair and whisked thru first entry point waiting to get inside the airport, and then you will be given front of the line privilege. This works extremely well in Japan as well, you will be whisked to front of line going thru passport check.

In Manila if you are flying a US carrier, you can have the girls working for the airlines to fill out all your paperwork as well

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Greetings, all!

Thank you all again for the help before my trip. I just got back a week ago, and miss my fiancée already! As I'm sure most of you have experienced, being together is a moment in heaven for us. We can't wait until the time that we get to be together for the rest of our lives.

Anyway, your help was extremely valuable in making the trip stress-free. I just wanted to pass along a few notes on my experience for anyone else you may be following this thread to learn from it, also.

As several of you assured me, the passage through Narita airport was extremely easy. As you said, I did not need to retrieve my checked luggage and just passed through another standard person-and-carry-on screening just like in the US. My checked bag arrived in Manila as scheduled.

Going back home, I passed through Incheon Airport in South Korea, then through Seattle, then back to Portland. Just like passing through Japan, I did not need to retrieve my checked bag in South Korea. However, important note, I did need to retrieve my checked bag in Seattle then have that re-checked before going to my flight to Portland. That complication almost caused me to miss my connecting flight to Portland because the security line in Seattle was insanely long and there was tons of baggage in the claim area. Apparently, several international flights had all arrived at the same time.

I highly recommend a phone app called "Mobile Passport". It allows you to fill in all the same information that you would fill in in the kiosks in security in Seattle, or whichever airport you're passing through in the US, but you can do it in advance as your flight is arriving or after you get off your flight.

It's not that the app itself saves you any time over the kiosk, but the fact that, in Seattle at least, there is a special line for mobile users. That allowed me to zoom on through ahead of the massive line of other people waiting to get in. If I hadn't been able to use that mobile line, I definitely would have missed my next flight. So, again, just something to consider if you're going the same route.

Anyway, once again, I just want to thank all of you so much for taking time to describe the process to me. It made the trip out so much more relaxing knowing what to expect in advance.

All the best to all of you in your own journeys!

Joel

Edited by jm302music

Please check out my music video for "Bright Side of the World", the song I wrote for my fiancee. You can watch the video on YouTube here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKu3SvqCBfg

Thanks for listening! :)

Joel

Timeline

Baggage is always claimed at POE; after you clear immigration you have to head to the baggage claim area, retrieve your luggage then head through customs. If you have a continuing flight you will have to re-check your bag with the airline.

I have flown that 20 plus times, You only check your carry on. Which airlinwe will be flying through

we will be flying through DELTA (US-NRT-MNLA) and same route when we go back.. I hope we don't need to re check-in because it will be my husband's

first loooong flight ever and it will be my first time to lay over at Narita and it worries me if we do (re-check-in) we wont have enough time with our 1.5 hrs

lay over and both not familiar with the airport!

Baggage is always claimed at POE; after you clear immigration you have to head to the baggage claim area, retrieve your luggage then head through customs. If you have a continuing flight you will have to re-check your bag with the airline.

Negative, I have more than once forget to claim it and it was sent on to my final destination.

we will be flying through DELTA (US-NRT-MNLA) and same route when we go back.. I hope we don't need to re check-in because it will be my husband's

first loooong flight ever and it will be my first time to lay over at Narita and it worries me if we do (re-check-in) we wont have enough time with our 1.5 hrs

lay over and both not familiar with the airport!

Should be no issue, I remember Delta only has 3 gates in Narita. Delta is whom I have flown the last few years and on the same route, Flown it many times. He will be fine.

Timeline

What airport are the customs agents not checking luggage as a person enters the USA?

Edited by Philippines^Sagot

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.