OthmanMaryana

Judicial certificate or police report need urgent help

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

My husband passed the interview at US embassy in Tunis but was told to bring back a police report or judicial certificate ( it's the same thing) from Libya where he worked long years ago but was never citizen or resident. USCIS and NVC doesn't asking for this report at all but the consul want it and it's just not possible to get it because Libya doesn't not provide this to anyone except Libyan citizens and not possible to go to the country to get it because Libya is under massive terrorist attack and lots of bombing.

Anyone had same problem please help me with any information il appreciate very much.

Interesting that they asked for it...

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/LY.html

says that

"Police and Prison Records

A "Criminal Status Certificate," issued by the Criminal Identification Department of the General Administration for Criminal Investigation of the General People's Committee for Public Security, is available to residents of Libya. The individual must submit an application with two 2 photographs and proof of residency to his/her local neighborhood People's Security Office for a minimal fee (currently LD 3-5). The certificates are not available to former residents or to non-residents."

From that it looks like he doesn't need it. Someone needs to point this out to the embassy staff where he interviewed.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Thanks a lot just want to mention this to you that even though nobody wants this absolutely and after I emailed to the consul twice explaining him the situation he made second interview to my husband and was asking him specific questions regarding Libya and at the end the man who collects all documents (clerks) told my husband that he can't convince the consul and he needs to bring judicial certificate ( he explain that is for non residents) which I found out it's the same thing just different world, oh he told him get this paper, come back anytime and you'll get your visa. How can this happen when they clearly know the situation in Libya. Police HQ is getting bombed every day and if you mention that you need for US embassy the chances of getting arrested or killed are very high! The consul is sanding my husband to fricking death?!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Libya
Timeline

I am sorry you're going through this. My fiance is Libyan and let me tell you it would be hard even for him, as a Libyan, to get a new police certificate at this time. Things are really bad over there right now. I would suggest having your husband connect with someone he knows from Libya, ask them the best place and how to get it. He probably will need to get in Tripoli. Also, when he goes to get it, he should be prepared to either wait a long time or have pay a fee to speed things up. This is the current situation over there unfortunately.

Thanks a lot just want to mention this to you that even though nobody wants this absolutely and after I emailed to the consul twice explaining him the situation he made second interview to my husband and was asking him specific questions regarding Libya and at the end the man who collects all documents (clerks) told my husband that he can't convince the consul and he needs to bring judicial certificate ( he explain that is for non residents) which I found out it's the same thing just different world, oh he told him get this paper, come back anytime and you'll get your visa. How can this happen when they clearly know the situation in Libya. Police HQ is getting bombed every day and if you mention that you need for US embassy the chances of getting arrested or killed are very high! The consul is sanding my husband to fricking death?!

19-Sept-14: I-129F Delivered

23-Sept-14: NOA1 (I-797C ~ Texas Lockbox accepted I-129F)

24-Sept-14: NOA1 (E-mail & Text)

Sent to California Service Center

3-Nov-14: Requested expedite by mailed letter with UN Human Rights Reports (Humanitarian Situation)

14-Nov-14: NOA2 (I-129F Petition Approved ~ E-mail & Text)

1-Dec-14: NVC Received Case

2-Dec-14: NVC Case Number Assigned

9-Dec-14: Embassy Received

3-Feb-15: "Package 3" Received/Turned In

25-Feb-15: "Package 4" - Received Interview Date

19-Mar-15: Interview ~ Approved

27-Mar-15: Visa Issued

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.