blanche

Israel Military Release Form

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

Today my husband had his interview at the Consulate in Jerusalem and was denied for two reasons. The officer thought his military release form looked like a copy, even though it is not and has a blue border, blue print and black print, a stamp from the office that creates them and all his info.

Also at the NVC stage, our case was delayed by about 6 weeks because they, too, said they didn't receive the military release form, even though I sent it to them. I assumed they had just lost it somehow, not that it might be the wrong form.

Back then, I re-sent the copy of the one I had here.

Tonight, someone who is fluent in Hebrew checked around the internet to find out what an ORIGINAL 'form 807' looks like and it looks JUST like the one we submitted both today and several months ago to NVC.

What would you do? Send this same original back to the Consulate with a note saying it came directly from Ktzin Ha-ir (which it did)?

Ask once again for another original?

Kind of banging our heads on the table over this one.

They gave him back his passport, took fingerprints and gave him a paper saying what he needed to do to get approval.

The other reason was that I didn't provide enough evidence of my intention to establish domicile, so I am working on that part, too.

Thanks for your help.

Timeline

Anybody? I'm convinced we have the CORRECT Military form and for some reason the Consulate didn't accept it. I wasn't there so I don't know what happened! Could it be they just kept seeing the copy we had and never the original? Ugh, frustrating! My husband came home with all the documents I had arranged so neatly in a heap basically. I thought the entire folder had flown out the window on the way home or something. He said they had ALL the documents ALL over the desk while interviewing him. Could it be he got a not so experienced officer or something???

If 2 separate agencies think it's a copy then I'd get a new one.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

When did your husband get released from the military? Mine got out in the early 2000s (like 2003-4?) and his was a very small document, almost like a booklet.

We had an Israeli lawyer do a certified translation of his documents, and she did mention that his 807 looked different than the current ones, which are more legal document-style. She advised that we visit the City Captain's office and request the 807 done in the newer style -- this was either free or cost a nominal fee, so it was worth doing. We took both versions to the Jerusalem Consulate and they really just looked at the more updated one. Both are legitimate, both can be considered originals.

K1 Visa

06-13-2015 - Engaged!

07-17-2015 - I-129F packet sent

09-02-2015 - NVC sent case to U.S. Consulate in Jerusalem, packet 3 sent via email

11-04-2015 - Interview (Approved!)

11-19-2015 - K-1 Visa in-hand

12-25-2015 - POE (Atlanta, GA)

AOS/Green Card

01-10-2016 - Got married

01-16-2016 - I-485/EAD application sent (same packet)

03-04-2016 - EAD card arrives in mail (successful expedite)

05-18-2016 - Received AOS letter with interview appointment

06-07-2016 - AOS Interview scheduled (Atlanta) - Approved!

06-15-2016 - Green Card in hand!

ROC

03-24-2018 - Mailed in ROC petition packet

03-27-2018 - NOA (packet received); 1-year extension

05-25-2018 - Biometrics

Timeline

Oh great, thanks for your input. Yes, he was released in 1991! A very long time ago! And he doesn't even remember getting a release form. We've called Katzin Ha-ir and they say their isn't anything else they can give him. Maybe we should have this one notarized by a lawyer to prove it's legitimacy more. Thanks a lot. Eze balagan! I'm so ready to LEAVE already!

Trying to get anyone on the phone from Katzin Ha-ir is nearly impossible so maybe we should go with my gut instinct on the day he was denied the visa and GO there to speak with someone. He's off work tomorrow so looks like we could try tomorrow.

Timeline

Ken, I completely understand. To follow up on your points about a few things (I just talked to my husband about this, he speaks Hebrew and unfortunately, I do not, so he handled this more directly than I did):

- We didn't need to make an appointment to get this from the City Captain's office (he called ahead of time and asked what he needed to bring for us to get this document, you'll just need to tayudat zehyoot). We went to the one in Rehovot, this is where my husband used to live when he was still living in Israel. (To be honest with you, it was kind of sketchy, we had to wait in the hallway and the solider at the door handled the communication between my husband and the person who retrieved his new 807. We got what we needed in like 15 minutes.)

- I asked our lawyer about notarizing documents vs. a certified English translation; "notarized" is a different meaning and is a different process in Israel than in the United States. Getting something notarized by a lawyer is very costly and usually is not necessary.

If I was in your situation, knowing what I know from our experience, I would follow up with the city captain's office first, because this is document comes from the military, and you'll just need to have it translated into English and provide copies of both the next time he goes in for the interview.

Good luck, please feel free to message me if you have other questions. I'm so sorry they have given you the runaround!

K1 Visa

06-13-2015 - Engaged!

09-02-2015 - NVC sent case to U.S. Consulate in Jerusalem, packet 3 sent via email

AOS/Green Card

01-10-2016 - Got married

ROC

05-25-2018 - Biometrics

Timeline

Great! Thanks so much. Yes, we live in Kfar Hanagid - outside of Rehovot - between Rehovot and Yavne... and so I thought we'd go to the City Officer there but it's apparently permanently closed for some reason. So we'll try the one in Rishon or in Ashdod. I'm glad to know there is ANOTHER one that they might take more seriously! Cuz yes, I know the lawyer fees can be insane, even if my hubby's mother is friends with a lawyer. And we just couldn't understand WHY they were questioning the one we had since it came from City Officer, has a stamp and a real signature by the officer who printed it. Strange. I'll let you know how it goes!

We also have to proove 'my intent to establish domicile in the US' (as if going through this process, paying the fees, etc, doesn't make it clear enough!) ... so I'm working on trying to open a bank account in the States. I don't know how many more things I can do. My NY drivers license expired since I've lived here and we haven't been back. I'm about to mail out my 'voting from abroad' letter, so maybe that can have some weight, too.

Frustrating - like you said - why they are giving us the run-around. That's exactly what it is. They just have to be 100% sure that all documents are lined up in case someone goes back to review them one day. Sheesh, I'm so ready for us to be standing in line at immigration in NY already!

My 4 year old is screaming at me in the background to come help one of his toys get out of jail so got to run lol. Thanks again, though!

Timeline

Just looking at the Katzin Ha-ir in Tel Aviv and it looks pretty darn sketchy, too, LOL, but I suppose lots of places here do. I'm sure we'll find a warm and friendly person to help us, though, right?! Hahahaha you have to laugh or you'll cry.

Timeline

Hey just hang in there -- we always kept each other motivated that "nothing worth achieving is ever easy". Yes we had a lot of times where we had to laugh to keep from crying, but our relationship is so much stronger because of it. At least you can stay together as a family! :)

I am sure our to-do list with all of the tasks we had to do for this process was a mile long, and for a while it seemed neverending, and we had a lot to do when we got back to the US for: getting married (that was the easy part!) adjusting his status, getting his work permit, etc. (he came on a K1 visa, but I was able to be in Israel with him the last 3 months for his USCIS doctor appointment and the interview, packing up, and moving to the US) -- It sounds like once you're through this process you will be able to move and settle more quickly since you're going the IR-CR1 route once you get to the US -- but I know the process is more tedious for you at the moment since you have to provide more up front.

I am not too familiar with what needs to be provided to prove domicile. Hopefully opening a bank account will be easy since you are already a US citizen? My husband had some trouble with that before he got his green card; couldn't bank with a credit union, but Bank of America, Wells Fargo, or SunTrust seem to be a little easier to start with. Property ownership seems like an obvious one, maybe even some legal documentation, like a will?

You will always be glad that your documentation is so well-prepared for USCIS (yes they need it that way, but it's good to have it for your family too). We paid extra $$ to have his documents in Hebrew 'certified translated' (even though technically he could do them, his English is fluent), but they have been helpful to have, especially when adjusting his status and just keeping a record of everything. I imagine when we go to buy a house or something this will be useful once again. Every time I see the big box with all of our immigration document binders it reminds me of how capable we all are. You just have to take it one day at a time. You can do it!

K1 Visa

06-13-2015 - Engaged!

AOS/Green Card

01-10-2016 - Got married

ROC

05-25-2018 - Biometrics

Timeline

Aw, thank you. That's kind of you to take the time to write that and encourage me!

I've just asked in a group here what they know about 'katzin ha-ir' and one of my friends who was in the military for many years tells me that their is no such thing as Katzin ha-ir anywhere now! So there is a new thing that you can call - maybe more organized? We will call them tomorrow to get it figured out.

Good luck to you! Yes, being organized is a plus out of all of this! We didn't have to get anything translated here for this end of things but I suppose it would be good to have it done later on. Now they give the Israeli birth certificate in Hebrew on one side and English on the other - so that makes things a bit easier.

Thanks again! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.