NZKiwi

2017 DV DS-260 submitted while F-1 to H-1B process is happening

4 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hi,

I won a 2017 DV visa and have submitted my DS-260 to start the process. After looking at these discussions I am wondering if that was a bad move. I am currently in the process of switching from a EAD (on an expired F-1 visa) to an H-1B and am concerned that having submitted the DS-260, I will disrupt the H-1B process. Does anyone know if that is the case? My case becomes current in November.

Also, if I wanted to travel home for Christmas and I haven't finished the DV process, will I have problems getting back into the country?

If your number is current in November, why don't you just do consular processing in NZ when you go home for Christmas? You'd need to contact KCC to tell them you want to do it there rather than AOS so they schedule you - timing may not be perfect but seems to me it would remove some other potential hassles and you'd probably get your green card significantly faster that way.

If you go with your original plan - if you're already on H1 when you re-enter no you won't have a problem, because it's a dual intent visa.

I don't know if submitting the DS will cause delays to the H1 application though - maybe someone else here has more insight on that question.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Thanks Susie! There is no way to know when that appointment will be (if I changed to doing it in NZ) till they send me something in November, correct? I would need to book flights around the appointment time?

Thanks Susie! There is no way to know when that appointment will be (if I changed to doing it in NZ) till they send me something in November, correct? I would need to book flights around the appointment time?

Depends when your DS was submitted - it has to be finished processing before they will schedule you an appointment; and the appointments are scheduled in batches, once a month for approx 6-8 weeks after notification.

You'd need to do medicals in NZ as well if processing there, so you'd probably need a couple off weeks all in all. Not sure how easy that would be for you to organize around your job/ if not coinciding with your holiday plans etc...but it is an option.

With AOS, some people wait months after being current before they're scheduled for interview. Consular processing is generally noticeably faster.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.