Ezy_and_Oghene

My income level is low and I can't find a co-sponsor. What are my options?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi guys,

So I am in a fix right now. NVC wrote me stating that my income level is low. This is because I was out of the country for a few months for a personal project, so my annual income reported was not enough. Also, I have someone else listed as a dependent on taxes. I recently started a new job that would enable me sponsor my husband and meet the household income level for us all, but it's only been a month. I couldn't find a co-sponsor either.

However, I have xxx amount in the bank in the US

My husband has xxx amount of money in the bank abroad also

I have xxx amount of money in the bank abroad also

I have a car I am currently paying mortgage on with no co-signer

I have some money on Credit cards

I don't know how much is needed to qualify. I have visited NVC website but it doesn't state how much is enough for assets. What are my options here?

The car you drive and your credit cards do not count as assets. Neither does the house you live in.

You need three times the amount of the shortfall in assets. So, if you are short on the income by $5,000 you need $15,000 in assets to make up the shortfall.

You can also send pay stubs and a letter from your employer if your job is new. The letter should confirm your salary.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

For how much you need - as stated above, it's 3x the missing amount. Take a look at the poverty guidelines: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

So, for yourself, the immigrant and the additional person you claim on your taxes, you'd need $25,200 per annum. If you only make $20,000 per annum and are therefore $5,200 short, then you need an additional 3 x $5,200. So $15,600 in assets.

You may just be able to show the pay stubs and contract/letter of employment for your new job.

See more about assets in the I-864 instruction pdf: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

In regards to home / car, it states:

"Only assets that can be converted into cash within one year and without considerable hardship or financial loss to the

owner may be included. The owner of the asset must include a description of the asset, proof of ownership, and the basis
for the owner’s claim of its net cash value.

You may include the net value of your home as an asset. The net value of the home is the appraised value of the home,

minus the sum of any and all loans secured by a mortgage, trust deed, or other lien on the home. If you wish to include
the net value of your home, then you must include documentation demonstrating that you own it, a recent appraisal by a
licensed appraiser, and evidence of the amount of any and all loans secured by a mortgage, trust deed, or other lien on the
home. You may not include the net value of an automobile unless you show that you have more than one automobile, and
at least one automobile is not included as an asset."

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

For how much you need - as stated above, it's 3x the missing amount. Take a look at the poverty guidelines: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

So, for yourself, the immigrant and the additional person you claim on your taxes, you'd need $25,200 per annum. If you only make $20,000 per annum and are therefore $5,200 short, then you need an additional 3 x $5,200. So $15,600 in assets.

You may just be able to show the pay stubs and contract/letter of employment for your new job.

See more about assets in the I-864 instruction pdf: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

In regards to home / car, it states:

"Only assets that can be converted into cash within one year and without considerable hardship or financial loss to the

owner may be included. The owner of the asset must include a description of the asset, proof of ownership, and the basis

for the owners claim of its net cash value.

You may include the net value of your home as an asset. The net value of the home is the appraised value of the home,

minus the sum of any and all loans secured by a mortgage, trust deed, or other lien on the home. If you wish to include

the net value of your home, then you must include documentation demonstrating that you own it, a recent appraisal by a

licensed appraiser, and evidence of the amount of any and all loans secured by a mortgage, trust deed, or other lien on the

home. You may not include the net value of an automobile unless you show that you have more than one automobile, and

at least one automobile is not included as an asset."

Oh wow! Thanks for the links. It was really helpful.

As for my new job, I am worried that since I haven't been there for 6 months at least, the embassy might not accept my proof of income even with my offer letter. I am a bit skeptical about it. Could you please shed some light on this? Thanks.

Oh wow! Thanks for the links. It was really helpful.

As for my new job, I am worried that since I haven't been there for 6 months at least, the embassy might not accept my proof of income even with my offer letter. I am a bit skeptical about it. Could you please shed some light on this? Thanks.

You've started working though? Correct? You should have pay stubs and a contract you can show that'll prove you're a) getting income that'll add up to the required amount this year and b) are contractually tied to the company for the agreed amount.

I can't really shed any more light on the matter - they may accept if you are able to show that you have a permanent position with the required income, but it might not be sufficient evidence for them. Since you don't really have any other options, you have no choice but to try.

Again, from the instructions:

"You may include evidence supporting your claim about your expected income for the current year if you believe that

submitting this evidence will help you establish ability to maintain sufficient income. You are not required to submit this

evidence, however, unless specifically instructed to do so by a U.S. Government official. For example, you may include

a recent letter from your employer, showing your employer’s address and telephone number, and indicating your annual

salary. You may also provide pay stubs showing your income for the previous six months. If your claimed income

includes alimony, child support, dividend or interest income, or income from any other source, you may also include

evidence of that income."

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

You've started working though? Correct? You should have pay stubs and a contract you can show that'll prove you're a) getting income that'll add up to the required amount this year and b) are contractually tied to the company for the agreed amount.

I can't really shed any more light on the matter - they may accept if you are able to show that you have a permanent position with the required income, but it might not be sufficient evidence for them. Since you don't really have any other options, you have no choice but to try.

Again, from the instructions:

"You may include evidence supporting your claim about your expected income for the current year if you believe that

submitting this evidence will help you establish ability to maintain sufficient income. You are not required to submit this

evidence, however, unless specifically instructed to do so by a U.S. Government official. For example, you may include

a recent letter from your employer, showing your employers address and telephone number, and indicating your annual

salary. You may also provide pay stubs showing your income for the previous six months. If your claimed income

includes alimony, child support, dividend or interest income, or income from any other source, you may also include

evidence of that income."

Yeah I started the new job 1 month ago. I guess that clause is somewhat weak. I will keep searching to see if I will get a cosponsor. I wouldn't want a situation where my husband would attend the interview and get denied for insufficient documents.

Remember, a co-sponsor can be anyone (related or not) that is: A US citizen of legal permanent resident, over 18 and residing in the USA.

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.