DeadPoolX

Credit Cards and Bank Accounts

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay folks, I'm the USC and I'm probably going to be living with my fiancee (Canadian citizen) in Canada for about five years or so. What I'm unsure about is the following:

1. Can I continue to use my U.S. credit cards in Canada while living there, or do I absolutely have to get Canadian credit cards? I could very easily pay my statements online, so paper statements really aren't an issue, but if I need to receive a new card for any reason (i.e. old card has expired), then I'd like to know that the U.S. credit card companies would send out a new card to an American living in Canada. If I were planning on moving to Canada permanently, then I'd definitely look at getting Canadian credit cards, but as I said before, I'll only be there on a temporary basis.

2. Can I move money from my current bank account in Washington Mutual to a Canadian bank account? If it is possible, how would I go about doing this?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

One could use customhouse.com to transfer $$$.Ne fees and a good exchange rate (usually better than what banks will give u)

You could keep usin gur American credit cards, But probally the exchange rate would not be in ur favor

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can use your credit cards in Canada but would be subject to the exchange rate on them. You may or may not want to change your address with them depending on how long the time is and how much hassle that creates.

I moved from Canada to the US and left one credit card there to maintain my credit profile there. They had no problem with changing my address to the US one at which I now reside.

As for transferring $$, I use www.customhouse.com. I did a couple of money transfers bank in Canada to bank in US but they charged a ridiculous amount for it. EFT between bank accounts on customhouse is free. That for me was a no brainer.

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Takes a few days to set up ur Customhouse acct, they do actually phone u and verify ur info. As well u have to either fax, snail mail or scan and email(secure server) ID and banking info. Its very easy to do, and they provide excellent customer service. Making an actual transfer is easy as well. One can sort of gamble onthe exchange rate. You see the rate prior to making the deal, and you have a refresh button that may or may not work in ur favor, lol sort of like a mini las vegas!! Liek I said if you thinkthe exchange rate is going to go up, u just cancel the transaction. Once u have complted it, it takes 3-4 business days to arrive in ur account. Very easy.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Timeline

the dollar conversion charges on a US credit card could become quite hefty over years of use. Most credit cards charge a fee to do the conversion.

If any of your cards have Canadian equivalents, just get a Canadian card, and save the US one somewhere safe for when you move back.

I had a Canadian MBNA mastercard when I moved down here, and I called MBNA America and they gave me a US$ card, and I didn't have to cancel my Canadian one. Amex and other cards will sometimes do it too.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.