ashtar0212

CADMAN PLAZA BROOKLYN NATURALIZATION CEREMONY EXPERIENCE 06/16/16

3 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

It's a bit late to share the experience of my naturalization ceremony 2 months ago in Cadman Plaza Brooklyn, but it's also better than nothing:)

Just would like to run through start from the beginning of that day - 06/16/16:

6:00AM Waked up and dress in business casual (no jeans, black shirt with a regular business pant, and in a pair of leather dress shoes, no tie)

6:30AM Re-checked all necessary documents need to bring to the ceremony: My most recent green card (not the expired one), my appointment letter, a fiction book (which you will find it extremely useful during your waiting time), a black pen (you need to write something before, during and after the ceremony).

7:00AM On my way driving to 225 Cadman Plaza East, Brooklyn, NY 11201 (the Eastern District Court of New York, where the ceremony is going to be held). Parked my SUV at Central Parking on Jay Street, which is just 2 blocks away from the Court. You may use Parking Panda the app from your smartphone and the rate is good.

7:45AM Arrived on site at the parking place. Walked around 10 minutes from Jay Street to the Court. Left my cell phone locked in my car (you will find how critically this decision helps later).

8:00AM A queue has already been formed in the Main Lobby. Everyone was asked to take out their Green Card together with their appointment letter. Also we were asked to take off the cell phones and belts to move through the security check door. People who's taking the cell phones with them would have to deposit their phones in a few sorted slots near the security guard, which consumed a lot of time for doing such. After that everybody was indicated to move to the 3rd floor.

8:30AM Continued... will post more tomorrow...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

We look forward to reading more!

*** Thread is moved from the US Citizenship main forum to the Case Progress subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

8:30AM After moved onto the 3rd floor, I already saw a few people walking around outside of the courtroom, which the ceremony was going to take place. While people were sitting, a lady came out of the courtroom and indicated everyone to form a queue with their Green Cards out together with the N-445 form. She asked everybody to make sure the place you sign this paperwork is Brooklyn, NY, not somewhere else.

9:00AM People were asked to move into the courtroom by sequence. Basically just to fill up the chairs in the room line by line. Everybody had had a welcome package underneath their chairs, which includes the vote registry form, a paper states the oath of allegiance, and a welcome letter from President Obama to congratulate you to become a US citizen.

9:45AM After the room was filled up with people, we were called line by line to hand in our Green Cards to 3 ladies to surrender it, since we didn't need it any longer because we are becoming US citizens. We were also requested to state that everything we put on the N-445 form was true, which means you didn't involve in any of the violations stated on N-445 after your naturalization interview.

10:15AM A lady came out to hand out vote registry forms, which I didn't know why because the form was already in the welcome package. But she talked in more details about when and how to register to vote.

10:30AM A guy from the Ceremony opened the door of the courtroom and allowed the families, friends of new citizens to sit around them, and to enjoy and to be a part of this exciting moment.

10:40AM This guy also called to inform the Judge that everybody's ready, please come in for the ceremony.

10:45AM As the Judge came in, we were requested to stand up, hold the Oath of Allegiance, put our right hands on the left chest, to say the Oath of Allegiance, as the very last part of officially becoming a US citizen.

10:50AM After the speech, the Judge congratulated everybody as new citizens. Then he started a short speech, which was mainly about the American dream of his immigrant parents, himself, and his future generations to serve and protect this great country.

11:00AM After the Judge left, we were called one by one to collect the Certificate of Naturalization, to ensure no printed errors were found on it.

11:30AM Left the building, yes! I am a new US citizen!

Hints and Tips:

1. Never bring your cell phone with you to the ceremony.

2. Always bring a book with you. You will be sitting for the most of the time, for at least 2-3 hours.

3. Always check your documents before leaving your home. You won't get too many chances to regret for not participating in such a wonderful ceremony, just because you forget to take your Green Card, your letter and your form with you.

4. Always wear business attires. No jeans, no hoodies, no caps no thick gold chains. This ceremony is serious.

5. Always appreciate the people who helped you become a US citizen, and be responsible to the USA.

Thank you all and good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.