kjcamara

Very Confused and Scared now about Booking Manila Interview Early Than NVC Schedule

7 posts in this topic

I was told by several people on VJ that for the Philippines that you could book your interview date as soon as you know your MNL number assigned by NVC. We got that on 6/10. I booked our interview then because we also have our son CR-2 and his school starts in Late August. So I was able to get an interview for my wife's CR-1 and our Son's CR-2 on Sep 2 (first available date). The lady on the phone was really nice and said that we could do that and we could keep the SEP 2 date and cancel the one that NVC sets. Sep 2 I thought worked well as it would give enough time for our papers to be reviewed at NVC and sent to Manila, my work schedule was the best for me to come to be at the interview as I want to be, and our son would only miss a week or so of school. I scheduled our return for Sep 10. I am arriving in Manila Aug 28. I found out that openings became available for Aug 30 so I called the embassy and rescheduled from Sep 2 to August 30 to make sure we get the visa before Sep 10 departure to US.

Now the new lady I talked with at the embassy was nice enough to reschedule the appointment, but she said that we were wrong to schedule the interview before NVC set the date of interview and that we may loose our Aug 30 date and have to go on the day that NVC schedules. I'm panicking now as I have already bought plane tickets and hotel reservations for the dates I envisioned. Have anybody done this before? Any advice?

IR-1/CR-1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Potomac Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Manila, Philippines Marriage (if applicable): 2016-01-11 I-130 Sent : 2016-02-25 I-130 NOA1 : 2016-03-01 I-130 RFE : I-130 RFE Sent : I-130 Approved : 2016-06-06 NVC Received : 2016-06-10 Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2016-06-27 Pay AOS Bill : 2016-06-27 Receive I-864 Package : Send AOS Package : 2016-07-07 Submit DS-261 : 2016-06-27 Receive IV Bill : 2016-07-06 Pay IV Bill : 2016-07-06 Send IV Package : 2016-07-07 Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter : Case Completed at NVC : NVC Left : Consulate Received : Packet 3 Received : Packet 3 Sent : Packet 4 Received : Interview Date : 2016-08-30 icon13.gifSubmit Review

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was told by several people on VJ that for the Philippines that you could book your interview date as soon as you know your MNL number assigned by NVC. We got that on 6/10. I booked our interview then because we also have our son CR-2 and his school starts in Late August. So I was able to get an interview for my wife's CR-1 and our Son's CR-2 on Sep 2 (first available date). The lady on the phone was really nice and said that we could do that and we could keep the SEP 2 date and cancel the one that NVC sets. Sep 2 I thought worked well as it would give enough time for our papers to be reviewed at NVC and sent to Manila, my work schedule was the best for me to come to be at the interview as I want to be, and our son would only miss a week or so of school. I scheduled our return for Sep 10. I am arriving in Manila Aug 28. I found out that openings became available for Aug 30 so I called the embassy and rescheduled from Sep 2 to August 30 to make sure we get the visa before Sep 10 departure to US.

Now the new lady I talked with at the embassy was nice enough to reschedule the appointment, but she said that we were wrong to schedule the interview before NVC set the date of interview and that we may loose our Aug 30 date and have to go on the day that NVC schedules. I'm panicking now as I have already bought plane tickets and hotel reservations for the dates I envisioned. Have anybody done this before? Any advice?

IR-1/CR-1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Potomac Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Manila, Philippines Marriage (if applicable): 2016-01-11 I-130 Sent : 2016-02-25 I-130 NOA1 : 2016-03-01 I-130 RFE : I-130 RFE Sent : I-130 Approved : 2016-06-06 NVC Received : 2016-06-10 Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2016-06-27 Pay AOS Bill : 2016-06-27 Receive I-864 Package : Send AOS Package : 2016-07-07 Submit DS-261 : 2016-06-27 Receive IV Bill : 2016-07-06 Pay IV Bill : 2016-07-06 Send IV Package : 2016-07-07 Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter : Case Completed at NVC : NVC Left : Consulate Received : Packet 3 Received : Packet 3 Sent : Packet 4 Received : Interview Date : 2016-08-30 icon13.gifSubmit Review

Booking your own interview once you have your MNL # ONLY applies to K-1 visas.

You should have waited for NVC. Only ones that can schedule their own interview date for the IV unit is the K-1, all others have to wait for NVC.

Some immigrant visa chasers have RE-SCHEDULED their interview date after receiving their appointment notice from NVC, in one case I know of they were allowed to complete their interview earlier, another the CO refused them, telling them to come back on the date NVC scheduled.

No easy answers.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

I'm a CR-1 and i booked my own interview even though NVC scheduled me an interview. It was OK with the Manila Embassy

The difference is that you already had an interview date scheduled by NVC, meaning your case was already completed. The OP is still in the NVC stage, and does not have a CC yet, so yes, he kind of got a little ahead of himself because he is still not sure if a checklist will be given (hopefully not though).

Just hope for the best! Goodluck! :)

USCIS Process:
Sent I-130 (via USPS): February 20, 2016
NOA1 hardcopy received: February 26, 2016
NOA2 approval text & email: May 6, 2016 (71 days from NOA1)
Petition sent to NVC text & email: May 11, 2016

NVC Process:
Case number and IIN Assigned: May 26, 2016
Choice of Agent (DS-261) completed: May 27, 2016
AOS Fee Invoiced: May 27, 2016
Pay AOS Fee: May 27, 2016
AOS Fee appeared as PAID: June 2, 2016
IV Fee Invoiced: June 3, 2016
Pay IV Fee: June 3, 2016
IV Fee appeared as PAID: June 6, 2016
IV application (DS-260) completed: June 7, 2016
Sent AOS & IV packets (via FedEx): June 8, 2016
Scan date: June 9, 2016
CC: July 14, 2016 (FINALLY saw 3rd N/A... 35 days after scan date)
Confirmation of CC email received: July 21, 2016
Interview date received over the phone: July 26, 2016

Interview Process:
Interview letter/P4 received via email: August 5, 2016
Medical Exam (@SLEC): August 3-4, 2016

Sputum samples given: August 15-17, 2016

Pulmo Consultation: August 18, 2016 (sputum smear is NEGATIVE!)

Results of sputum culture: October 12, 2016 (NEGATIVE!)

Completed: October 17, 2016
Interview date: October 24, 2016 (APPROVED! case status ISSUED the same day) :content:

Visa ready for pickup @MOA (via 2GO tracking): October 26, 2016

Visa in hand: October 27, 2016

Pay Greencard Fee: October 27, 2016

POE: November 6, 2016 (L)

SSN received (via USPS): November 14, 2016

10-year Greencard received (via USPS): December 17, 2016 (41 days after POE) :dance:

The difference is that you already had an interview date scheduled by NVC, meaning your case was already completed. The OP is still in the NVC stage, and does not have a CC yet, so yes, he kind of got a little ahead of himself because he is still not sure if a checklist will be given (hopefully not though).

Just hope for the best! Goodluck! :)

Oh! I didn't see the part that he didn't get case complete yet. What he did was actually really risky.

So good luck OP! Pray for no RFEs and a Case complete before August!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.