6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

First of all, I'm not sure if this kind of question is allowed or if I'll be shunned forever... yes, being slightly dramatic here. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm a USC and I'm flying tonight to visit my fiance in the UK. I've heard lots of crazy stories about boyfriends/girlfriends and fiances coming to the US and being sent home or having their trips shortened due to border control assuming the worst. BUT... I can't seem to find stories like that regarding US citizens going to the UK to visit a significant other, which hopefully means it's not as common there as it is in the US.

Has anyone had bad experiences going to the UK to visit a significant other?

A little backstory, we just filed for our K1 visa this past Thursday (June 30). So I decided to take a few documents from that submission as proof he intends to immigrate to the US after the visa is approved, that there's no threat that I'm trying to go to the UK, etc. I'm only staying for a week. I have flown to visit him twice before, but it was earlier in the year when he lived elsewhere in Europe, so this will be my first time in the UK outside LHR.

I know I don't need a visa to visit the UK as a USC, but a UK government site suggested bringing a bank account statement showing i have enough to cover my expenses during my stay. I have that. I also have my travel insurance printed... like I said, some K1 documents (proof of money order for the application fee, letters of intent from both of us, etc), and also my itinerary showing my return trip in one week.

And of course I will only answer the questions asked of me, offering no additional information and not producing those documents unless asked for them.

I'm assuming I shouldn't worry about anything else... thoughts from experienced travelers?

Also, if this needs to be moved to another forum area/topic, I understand.

~ Allison, the USC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

You should have no problems getting in to the UK. I know people that fly back and forth on a regular basis, and none have ever had an issue.

And there are not that many that get refused while trying to enter the USA. either. Remember you only read about the few that have issues getting in, not the millions that have no problems.

event.png

Timeline

You should have no problems getting in to the UK. I know people that fly back and forth on a regular basis, and none have ever had an issue.

And there are not that many that get refused while trying to enter the USA. either. Remember you only read about the few that have issues getting in, not the millions that have no problems.

Yes, so true! Thank you for easing my mind! Always good to hear from someone who has had experience.

~ Allison, the USC

Yes I have. But the good news is, even if you should, each attempt is based upon it's own merits.. which means even if in the unlikely event you should have trouble, you can try again sometime. I've enough evidence of that, but it is one reason that afterwards I never attempted to enter the UK without him by my side as fundamental proof. ;-)

There are stories sure, some bad some good. The key is to always be honest and be prepared. There are plenty of persons that enter just fine with no issues, and many of those that don't are due to mistakes, panic, and an officer being a crusty crabapple. It was conveyed to me that very young women entering by themselves are scrutinized harder, but that also could have just been Very Opinionated Officer Crusty Crabapple. ;-)

That being said, DO make sure you have both a return ticket, travel insurance, enough funds to take care of yourself, and answers for any questions they may throw at you.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline

Yes I have. But the good news is, even if you should, each attempt is based upon it's own merits.. which means even if in the unlikely event you should have trouble, you can try again sometime. I've enough evidence of that, but it is one reason that afterwards I never attempted to enter the UK without him by my side as fundamental proof. ;-)

There are stories sure, some bad some good. The key is to always be honest and be prepared. There are plenty of persons that enter just fine with no issues, and many of those that don't are due to mistakes, panic, and an officer being a crusty crabapple. It was conveyed to me that very young women entering by themselves are scrutinized harder, but that also could have just been Very Opinionated Officer Crusty Crabapple. ;-)

That being said, DO make sure you have both a return ticket, travel insurance, enough funds to take care of yourself, and answers for any questions they may throw at you.

Well, I won't have a return boarding pass as I can't print that out until I check-in during the 24-hour window before the return flight, but I will have the itinerary. And yep, got the other stuff too. I have been told I don't look my age, and I've always prided myself on that... but suddenly I wish I looked 36. I'm sure I'll be fine. *looks around for wood to knock on* Thank you!

~ Allison, the USC

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Update: I was allowed to visit my fiance! :D I admitted up front that I was there to visit my fiance and also mentioned that we had just filed for the K1 Visa in the US. The lady asked me questions regarding when and where we'd marry (in the US after the K1 is issued), and after a few moments of hesitation, she stamped my passport. WHEW! I didn't need my letter from work, proof of sufficient funds for my trip, proof of having filed the K1, nor the proof of traveler's insurance, but definitely happy I had those things with me just in case.

Thanks for the insight and encouragement!

~ Allison, the USC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.