baldoako

IRS tax return 2006...help help help

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I am a US citizen currently residing in Manila. I've lived here for about 2 years. I have filed for 2005 because I worked that year in the US, but since then I have not worked even here in Manila. Do I still have to file for 2006?

Anyone else in this situation? My wife will be having her interview soon. Would the Consulate ask for my 2006 return even if I did not generate any income for 2006? I have a household member co-sponsor and a joint sponsor for my wife.

Please do advise.

Thank you!

I do not see a "DCF" listed in the abbreviations used for U.S. Immigration related issues.

Not sure what you mean by "generate" income, but if you do not file, IRS might want to know why.

Perhaps you should visit the IRS agent at the U.S. Embassy Manila.

Hi everyone!

I am a US citizen currently residing in Manila. I've lived here for about 2 years. I have filed for 2005 because I worked that year in the US, but since then I have not worked even here in Manila. Do I still have to file for 2006?

Anyone else in this situation? My wife will be having her interview soon. Would the Consulate ask for my 2006 return even if I did not generate any income for 2006? I have a household member co-sponsor and a joint sponsor for my wife.

Please do advise.

Thank you!

Edited by beameup

I don't know whether or not you have to. I remember reading somewhere in the past that if you declared income the year before, you must file the next year, even if you don't owe anything. But again, not sure.

But it's not exactly a big deal to file your taxes if you have no income, and if it saves you possible future hassle with IRS or at the interview, I would just do it. You can download the forms online.

DCF = Direct Consular Filing. Specifically, filing the I-130 petition at the consulate abroad. Many consulates no longer accept petitions, but USCIS offices abroad will accept petitions from some USC's. Ends up with a Cr-1 or IR-1 Visa

Edited by malka

9-12/2004 - met and fell in love in Bulgaria

2004 - 2006 - travel, travel, travel...

11/2006 - moved to Bulgaria

1/2007 - engaged

4/2007 - wedding

DCF for CR-1 Visa BEGINS:

5/16/2007 - I-130 filed at Sofia, Bulgaria embassy

Thank you so much for your reply....

I have found in the website of IRS that I do not need to file. I printed it out also for the interview just to make sure. Thanks again!

Here's the link that determines a person's eligibility to file for income tax:

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96623,00.html

God bless to all!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.