Jump to content

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi guys,

I am a newbie here and I am not sure where to post this but I know a girl who needs help. She is married to a US army guy for 7 years and they have 2 kids. They don't live together though. The guy lives in USA, and she and the kids are living in her native land. well yesterday, she got a letter in the mail from her husband's lawyer asking for dissolution of marriage. My question is, since she and the kids are not US citizen, are they eligible for spouse/child support? She is a full time mom and not working right now so she is very worried about their situation. It is so sudden and she is so lost and don't know what to do. Anyway, I hope you can give any advice that can help her. Please don't judge as she is already suicidal and in deep depression.

Any input is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

This depends on the country in which she resides. There are only a few countries that have reciprocal child support agreements with the USA (19 last time I checked). If she can get representation here in the USA, she can get some awarded, but there is likely no mechanism to enforce payment unless her country has a reciprocal agreement with the USA.

Edited by Caryh

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Oath Taking

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.