Fandango

Really Dumb questions you've been asked about the UK

120 posts in this topic

Did I not say that British tourists were worse than Americans?

I didn't realize I responding to you specifically?

I know it's all meant to be lighthearted, but these kind of threads always annoy me because after 10 years in the UK, I've heard some pretty ridiculous things said about the US. And the worst tourist behavoir I have seen in all parts of the world was perpetuated by people from other countries (and the worst incidents are almost always in Asia, except those wonderful instances when I have encountered the British stag party in Ryanair destination towns).

Anyways, I remember seeing a survey that interviewed service staff in Europe and they pricked the myth of the "ugly american." It helps to be generous tippers.

90day.jpg

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

When I visit my Dad in Malta it is easy to spot the Brits a mile away. Shorts (even in February when the locals are in sweaters and jackets!), rucksacks, sunglasses and flip flops. Oh and the pasty white skin too.....

Americans in London are not highly thought of by the locals either....whether it be misguided or not. I lived there long enough to know that they get tutted at frequently!

Edited by mags

Did I not say that British tourists were worse than Americans?

I didn't realize I responding to you specifically?

Well your post followed directly from mine in both order and context, so naturally I assumed.

I know it's all meant to be lighthearted

Yes.

, but these kind of threads always annoy me because after 10 years in the UK, I've heard some pretty ridiculous things said about the US.

Indeed. When back in the UK I often find myself defending Americans to my British based mates.

And the worst tourist behavoir I have seen in all parts of the world was perpetuated by people from other countries (and the worst incidents are almost always in Asia, except those wonderful instances when I have encountered the British stag party in Ryanair destination towns).

British tourists are by far and away the worst offenders IMHO, I hate being anywhere foriegn around British tourists.

Anyways, I remember seeing a survey that interviewed service staff in Europe and they pricked the myth of the "ugly american." It helps to be generous tippers.

Hah! How true, I however have seen the "ugly american" on my extensive travels many times. Stereotypes originate from something you know. Still, my reason for posting was not to offend, but as you say, to be lighthearted.

I defend Americans back home too.

It does seem though that traveling to another country turns you in to a strange monster.

K-1 visa issued: 12/15/2006

107 days from mailing AOS package to receiving green card! Received 6/27/07 dated 6/20/07

Removing conditions:

mailed 5/22/2009

Recieved at CSC 5/23/2009

Check cashed 5/27/09

NOA date 5/26/09 - still not received

I-551 stamp in passport 6/19/09

Biometrics notice date 6/16/09

Biometrics received 6/20/09

Biometrics apt date 7/9/09

Biometrics cancellation notice 6/27/09

Biometrics apt notice date 6/26 recieved 7/7

Biometrics apt 7/22/09

Touch 7/22/09

Finally able to see online info 7/22/09

Card production email 8/19/09 date ordered 8/18

Recieved approval letter in mail 8/19/09 date 8/13!

Touch 8/19

Email stating approval notice sent 8/24/09

Green card in hand!! 8/24/09

Husband joined army and moved from San Diego to Ft. Benning GA! 8/30/11

Filed N400 based on 5 years of residency 9/12/12

Recieved email notifcation recieved package 9/19/12

Biometrics 10/22/12

Early Biometrics 10/04/12

In line for interview 10/8/12 for 8 days

Interview 11/20/12 PASSED!

Filed: Other Timeline
No - but then again, the same percentage don't know that West Virginia isn't western Virginia, so at least we're ignorant equally.

OMG - tell me about it! I CANNOT tell you the number of times I've had THIS conversation....

Q - Where are you from?

A - West Virginia.

Q - Oh, where in WV? I've been to Roanoke........

:bonk:

Haha! I didn't even note you were FROM WV when I said that (I lived there ever-so-briefly in 2004). So where in WV do you live? I was in Point Pleasant and Ripley in, uh, west West Virginia :)

Jeez!

Just up the road....right outside of Parkersburg.....

Probably because most American tourists in the UK don't set foot outside the city.

*cough* thankfully *cough* ;)

Oh good. I knew I was special when my first real UK visit was to Cosham...

Cosham! What a wonderful place to visit. Where I'm from (Southsea) we call Cosham "The North". ;)

Haha Cosham, I lived in Horndean - not far! I remember many friday nights on southsea seafront, or if I really wanted to see a fight, guildhall walk...

AOS/EAD

11/15/2006 NOA1 for EAD and AOS

12/1/2006 Received RFE Grrrrrrrrr

12/2/2006 Biometrics

12/8/2006 Sent back RFE

1/26/2007 EAD Card Production Ordered

1/31/2007 EAD Card received

3/6/2007 INTERVIEW - FBI namecheck

3/26/2007 NOA1 for AP

4/30/2007 AOS APPROVED

5/7/2007 Green Card Arrived!

-

2/12/09 Mailed Removal of Conditions

3/10/09 Bio Appt

-

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ha! The mothman! I got a photo of him. No really, they have a big statute. It's kinda creepy ;)

Parkersburg, cool :) I had friends working there.

As for the who's-the-uglier-tourist debate: you'll always think your own countrymen (whether you're American, British, whatever) is the ugliest because you'll be overly-sensitive to being lumped in with someone misbehaving. "No, I'm not like them!" etc, etc. I think morons are the worst, regardless of their origin, and I've met morons of every race, creed, color, origin, etc, in every country I've been to.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Oh my yes british tourists are terrible....my mother made me cringe so much:

"...all I want is a proper cup of tea"

"do you have a pen? oh he doesn't understand D-O- Y-O-U- H-A-V-E-A-P-E-N? PEN?!?!" then makes circle shapes in the air

The last time my fiance was over, he wanted a cup of tea and was looking around my cabinets for my kettle. LOL That cracked me up. I boiled him some water, but I have since bought a kettle, because I don't believe he'd be satisfied without it. lol

April 21 Dave arrives in America!

April 28 WE GET MARRIED!!!

May 9 Went to SS office and was denied

May 15 After gathering all paperwork, told we must file through DORA program

July 19 DORA appointment - they send paperwork to Chicago after this.

July 24 Paperwork is received by Chicago

August 9 Notice for Biometrics appointment

August 28 NOAs for AOS/EAD

Sept 6 Biometrics

Sept 26 Email saying card production ordered for EAD.. YES!!!

Oct 9 EAD card, Yay!!!!!

Dec 31 Finally got the Resident card! Yay!!!

When I first met my MIL to be she asked me if we had microwaves 'over there'

I am also often asked if we have the 4th of July there....I always say 'yeah, it's the day after the 3rd of July!'

Once, when I told a cashier I was from England, she said.... 'is that in London?'

But the best one I can remember was a cashier at a car dealership...after telling me that 'she lurved my accent' she told me that I 'spoke English very well' and then added the killer blow...she said 'I bet they make you learn English in school don't they!!!' :wacko: Hubby and me had to make a quick exit before bursting with laughter.

Jen

Removing of Conditions Timeline

05/29/2007 - Sent package to NSC

05/31/2007 - Package received by NSC

06/01/2007 - Date on NOA (1 day after they received our package!)

06/11/2007 - NOA and Biometrics notice received via snail-mail

06/21/2007 - Biometrics taken

04/03/2008 - Transferred to CSC

05/14/2008 - Approved (notified via email)

05/21/2008 - Card received

in regards to bad tourists...I try really hard not to complain to much because in the end it takes all kinds of people to make the world as diverse as it is.

Also in touristy towns they are what pays a lot of peoples salaries. I am really quite bored of the general labeling of cultures as lazy, fat, rude, stupid, arrogent etc etc etc. But that is just me.

I have been traveling back and forth to England since I was 13. Not to mention various parts of Europe and I've encountered lovely people all over. I also travel a lot in the states and I am always excited to meet tourists from other countries!

Anyway..enough of my rant. I am not stirring the ######. Just giving my view.

Edited by ajames79

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

Filed: Timeline

Yes, American tourists can be ugly. So can Brits or anyone else for that matter.

I'm sick to death of everyone thinking Yanks are so incredibly horrible people. I'm met some horribly ignorant Brits while living in London too. Especially in regards to American geography so how about cutting the Yanks some slack - at least they ask - Brits just keep their ignorance/opinions quiet.

:wacko:

I agree with Robinklake, these kinds of threads are #######. Every country has ignorant people.

Edited by devilette

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.