nina1790

US citizen's birth name issue (filing I-130) : please help!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

This forum has been very helpful and I have already received answers to my other questions but I have one more before I send off my I-130...

I am a US citizen (naturalized) and I am applying for my foreign husband.

However I just realized I made a huge error regarding my birth name....

I don't know my biological father and was adopted by my step father after my mother got remarried to him when I was little.

So on my birth certificate it says my birth name is under my biological father but I never really used that name so all my documents has been under my step father's name (he is the legal father since he adopted me). That's the name I have used my entire life. Except I was married once in the past and used my ex husband's name before I married my current husband.

Anyway, on my divorce certificate (which i need to submit with the I-130) under "birth name on birth certificate", I put down my biological father's name since that's on my birth certificate. However, I don't know what I was thinking but on other certificates like my current marriage certificate and my child's birth certificate i put down my stepfather's name since I am so used to using that name as my "maiden name"....but it's not actually my birth name :(

on all the visa forms I put down my stepfather as my father and his last name as my maiden name.

So basically, my marriage certificate and my divorce certificate's birth name of mine does not match...they still both have the same last name which was my ex husband's last name at the time. so on the divorce certificate it's "first name, ex last name -biological father name" and on the marriage certificate it's "first name, ex last name -step father name"

I'm sure they can tell it's both me the same person because of the first and last name but would it be a huge issue to them that the birth name is different from one another?

Maybe they won't catch it or maybe they won't care too much since I'm the US citizen and it's not my husband's name issue.....

I don't know...I really messed up :(

I could have them amend my marriage certificate to my biological father and change all my forms to his name but I don't think I can even get a hold of my birth certificate to prove this since I was born abroad in another country- not in my home country. it's a very complicated situation...i know :(

Please give me some advice! thank you.

CR-1 Visa Journey

04/15/16 ..Married
05/12/16 ..I-130 sent
05/14/16 ..I-130 delivered

05/16/16 ..Check cashed

05/23/16 ..NOA1 Hard Copy

10/19/16 ..I-130 Approved!!

10/25/16 ..NOA2 Hard Copy

10/31/16 ..Case was send to the Department of State

Hi there!

I'm no expert, so don't quote me - I'm just starting the i130 process now. However, I have had problems with my name as I didnt use my birth name, rather a short form of it. It came back to bite me on the butt though - luckily for me, I was able to get a document from my country stating a name change (so I applied for a name change from my birth name to the name I use now) I had a double barrel last name, and had dropped the second name. Long story short - I had a document linking my birth name to the name I use now.

Im married now, so it definitely helped when it came to changing my name to my husbands name :)

How this could help in your situtation? Perhaps try and see if there is such a document in your country and *if* they ever question you, you at least have something to back you up.

Anyways. I hope this helps you! Im just giving you another way of thinking around it. It would also take the pressure off your shoulders. Hmmm. Let me know how it goes! Goodluck! :) x

OUR STORY ♡

Jun 08, 2015: Hubby moved to Australia on a one year Working Holiday Visa (WHV)

Jan 05, 2016: We got married in Australia ?

May 17, 2016: Hubby moved back to New York

Sept - Nov 2016: Trip to visit Hubby on VWP!

OUR CR1 VISA JOURNEY ♡

May 19, 2016: I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

May 20, 2016: USPS acknowledged delivery

May 20, 2016: USCIS received I-130

May 25, 2016: Check cashed by USCIS

May 25, 2016: Received NOA1 via email

Service Center: NEBRASKA SC

May 31, 2016: Received NOA1 hard copy

Oct 18, 2016: I-130 transferred to TEXAS SC

Nov 10, 2016: I-130 APPROVED

..........PENDING..........

So there is no way to get your birth certificate? I know I called New Zealand and they sent mine straight away. It could be different in other countries hmmm. Maybe try and get in contact with an embassy in the country you were born. There is surely a way around this! :)

OUR STORY ♡

OUR CR1 VISA JOURNEY ♡

Thanks for the reply!

I actually just found out that theres a registry paper from my home country that shows my biological dads name and my stepfathers name and when he adopted me which also works as a birth certificate.

So I think I can use that...

I'm just worried that I used my stepfathers name as my birth name on the marriage certificate when it's not :(

And my divorce certificate shows my biological dads name...

I'm sure they'll question why I lied about my birth name on the marriage certificate :(

I'm not sure if I should just send all this as it is and show them this registry if they question it.

Luckily I am the petitioner and not the beneficiary so they might not look into it that much.

Edited by nina1790

CR-1 Visa Journey

04/15/16 ..Married
05/12/16 ..I-130 sent

05/16/16 ..Check cashed

Oh! Thats great you have the registry! I would be tempted to send it too! I guess its up to you! I would probably send it so that they can use it to link both the names with your biological father and adoptive father - but then again, they might not even notice as you are the petitioner! Thats great news you have the registry!! At least that way you can sit tight and if they *do* question it (fingers crossed they dont!), you could fedex the document :)

Its up to you though! :) xx

OUR STORY ♡

OUR CR1 VISA JOURNEY ♡

I guess if you wanted to, you could supply the registry document as well as a signed letter from you explaining the reason why you used both names. Having said that, I would only send it if they request it :) Most importantly, you have an official document with both the names - i think you have definitely covered yourself :)

Goodluck with your i130! I will be sending mine next month!! I hope its a speedy process .. for you and I both! :) x

OUR STORY ♡

OUR CR1 VISA JOURNEY ♡

yes i'm so relived about this registry!

I don't think I'll send it in quite yet but it's nice to have it in case they ask me later on...

thanks for your replies and good luck to you too!!! :):)

CR-1 Visa Journey

04/15/16 ..Married
05/12/16 ..I-130 sent

05/16/16 ..Check cashed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.