innosan15ie

Question about domicile when returning from abroad between i130 and AOS.

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

So i have done a lot of searching but have been unable to find an answer. If between the time i file the i130 and we get notification for sending the aos package i return to the us, do i still need to provide evidence of domicile? I just wonder since the initial petition was sent from abroad will proof of domicile still be required.

By the time we get to the aos / iv stage i will have been out of the country for appx 9 months. So if required i feel i can show evidence of maintaining domicile via credit card statements, bank statements, keeping my name on car insurance, drivers license and maintaining ys health insurance. But if this isn't needed because i will already be back in the states then that would be even better, it also will help me plan my teturn date.

Anyway thanks to anyone who can help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

So i have done a lot of searching but have been unable to find an answer. If between the time i file the i130 and we get notification for sending the aos package i return to the us, do i still need to provide evidence of domicile? I just wonder since the initial petition was sent from abroad will proof of domicile still be required.

By the time we get to the aos / iv stage i will have been out of the country for appx 9 months. So if required i feel i can show evidence of maintaining domicile via credit card statements, bank statements, keeping my name on car insurance, drivers license and maintaining ys health insurance. But if this isn't needed because i will already be back in the states then that would be even better, it also will help me plan my teturn date.

Anyway thanks to anyone who can help!

Are you and your spouse living in abroad? If yes, your petition may get approved faster. But your petition is sent out from abroad, you might need to show your statements, bills , health insurance, driving license or any documents to prove that you are in US or domicile . Since you move back to US, it won't be difficult to prove that.

Yes, we live in Ireland currently. My wife is from the UK, but moved here for her work so i moved along with her. But we have decided to make our final move to the US. I will be sending the i-130 off next week most likely. I just mainly wanted to know if I will need proof of maintaining domicile regardless of if i return to the US between the initial petition and the NVC side of things. If that is the case, then we will plan to stay here together a bit longer rather then me rushing to return to the US since I think i have plenty of proof of domicile, I still even have have an active cellphone account back in the us.

Thanks very much for the info, I think in this case I will just plan to stay here until time to send off the AOS package, at which point I will return to the US, and my wife will return to the UK. Then we will submit both the AOS and IV that will reflect both our changes of address.

Quick question on that, there is no issue with not submitting the AOS/DS-260 right away correct? I know obviously this will add some time to the process, but I would prefer to do so once we are both reestablished in our home countries.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

You will either prove maintained domicile OR re-established domicile, in your case the latter applies.

You can delay the process as you wish, but not for an unlimited amount of time (no more than a year I think). The best time to do it (in my opinion) is after it has been sent to the consulate, that way you can keep in contact with them to let them know you haven't abandoned the application.

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Oh i was under the impression that since I will have only been out of the US for about 9 months, I would be focusing on showing that i maintained domicile. Since I still have active car insurance policy, bank accounts, health insurance, cell phone contract, credit cards, drivers license etc in the US.

If indeed i have to instead focus on showing re-establishment of domicile, then yes that would change the timeframe for my return to get a job offer etc.

If anyone else could maybe shed some light on maintaining domicile vs re-establishing in my situation that would be super appreciated.

PS: I had previously lived with my parents in basement apartment, which I plan to resume when i return. Since i will not have a lease and or ownership to tie this address to all my paperwork, would a letter from my parents stating I had lived at that address and it is still my primary residence i will be returning to be helpful / needed?

Edited by innosan15ie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I m living in Ireland. It took only to get I130 two weeks.Yes. a letter from your parents would help you or.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.