dkunkle

Driving over the border for interview

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I live in TX and my husband lives in Calgary. He is immigrating here and we FINALLY have an interview date.

Our interview is scheduled for May 9th. My husband and I are actually flying back from a vacation in Iceland on May 7th. We land in JFK airport in NY around 10:30am on May 7th. So instead of flying back to Fort Worth, TX - we are going to peel off in NY and head to Montreal - it's only a 6 hour drive. Because flights are so expensive, we are thinking of just renting a car and driving it to Montreal. It appears it will cost us about $500 to do this with Enterprise rental car - I was thrilled to see that we can actually drive a car and leave it at a Enterprise car rental location in a different country.

My only concern is driving over the border. We'll have our letter and interview packet. I'm just wondering if border security is going to have questions about why a woman from TX and a man from Calgary are driving across the border in NY. If they stop us, we'll obviously have all the supporting travel documents, and since we are being honest, i can't imagine any trouble.

But, I just wanted to post our plan to see if anyone can think of any unforeseen problem that I haven't thought of yet?

Appreciate any thoughts or advice!

It can take weeks to get the visa. Have you thought about what you'll do until you get the visa, passport,and package back?

Or are you both travelling back to Calgary to wait it out?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I live in TX and my husband lives in Calgary. He is immigrating here and we FINALLY have an interview date.

Our interview is scheduled for May 9th. My husband and I are actually flying back from a vacation in Iceland on May 7th. We land in JFK airport in NY around 10:30am on May 7th. So instead of flying back to Fort Worth, TX - we are going to peel off in NY and head to Montreal - it's only a 6 hour drive. Because flights are so expensive, we are thinking of just renting a car and driving it to Montreal. It appears it will cost us about $500 to do this with Enterprise rental car - I was thrilled to see that we can actually drive a car and leave it at a Enterprise car rental location in a different country.

My only concern is driving over the border. We'll have our letter and interview packet. I'm just wondering if border security is going to have questions about why a woman from TX and a man from Calgary are driving across the border in NY. If they stop us, we'll obviously have all the supporting travel documents, and since we are being honest, i can't imagine any trouble.

But, I just wanted to post our plan to see if anyone can think of any unforeseen problem that I haven't thought of yet?

I have driven from NYC to Montreal soo many times. You will have no problems at the border entering Canada, you guys are married and both citizens(USA/Canada). The Canadian border agents will probably ask you why you are going to Montreal, how long you are staying and when you are leaving back to Texas. Just answer the questions the agent asks you, don't volunteer any information and be truthful with the border agent. If you follow this, you won't have any issues.

Also If your husband is driving the American rental car into Canada, the border agent might ask him a few questions about the car as well as the car rental agreement. If you drive the car, the agent won't ask you much about the car. Keep in mind that if you are dropping the car in Montreal, you absolutely have to drop in at Trudeau airport.

Edited by blest.but.strest

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't expect you would have any problems either but do keep in mind NLR's question.

For the car rental, I would encourage you to call the location you plan to drop the car off to. Just because when you booked it they told you that it was OK does not mean the Enterprise location on the receiving end will actually accept it. I know that sounds silly but do make the call and confirm with the ACTUAL location, not just the folks on the 800 line. I have dropped cars off in Canada several times after renting in the U.S. but always check with the receiving location per the guidance given to me by a manager several years ago. You don't want to get stuck!

USCIS - 40 DAYS
2012-10-30: FedEx delivered I-130 to Chicago Lockbox Mail Room
2012-11-01: NOA1 by email - MSC
2012-11-02: $420 (x3) debited from our account
2012-11-05: NOA1 hard copies received, Priority Date 2012-10-30
2012-12-11: NOA2

NVC - 26 DAYS
2013-01-02: Rec'd case#, IIN, BIN & OPTIN emails for EP sent
2013-01-03: Submitted DS-261 (x3)
2013-01-07: AOS bills invoiced and paid & OPTIN for EP accepted for each of us
2013-01-08: AOS bills appear as paid & AOS packages sent by email
2013-01-08: IV bill invoiced & paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV bill appears as paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (kids only)
2013-01-11: AOS received -notified by email
2013-01-11: IV bill invoiced & paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV bill appears as paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV Supporting Docs received for kids - notified by email
2013-01-14: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (me only)
2013-01-18: IV Supporting Docs received for me - notified by email
2013-01-18: Son#1 CASE COMPLETE - Son#2 checklist - saying $ on I-864 don't match tax return (but they do)-resubmitted
2013-01-23: AOS 2nd submission for Son #2 received - notified by email
2013-01-25: My CASE COMPLETE
2013-01-28: ALL 3 OF OUR CASES ARE NOW COMPLETE
2013-02-06: Packet 4 Received by email

MEDICAL ~ CONSULATE ~ POE REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 160 DAYS NATURALIZATION
2013-02-13: Medicals 2014-12-17: Delivered to California Lockbox 2015-12-15: Delivered to Phoenix Lockbox
2013-03-06: Interview 2014-12-19: 1 I-751 + 3 Biometrics Fees debited from our account 2015-12-16: Fees charged to Credit Card
2013-03-08: Visas in-hand 2014-12-22: Received NOA1 by mail. Receipt Date: 2014-12-17 2015-12-17: NOA
2013-03-12: Paid USCIS Immigrant Fee 2014-12-24: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter 2016-01-02: Biometrics Letter 2016-01-11: Biometrics
2013-03-14: POE 2015-01-06: Biometrics 2016-02-15: In Line for Interview 2016-02-19: Letter
2013-03-25: SSNs arrived 2015-05-27: Approved 2016-03-22: Interview
2013-04-01: Green Cards arrived 2015-06-03: New Green Cards arrived 2016-04-15: Oath Ceremony

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't expect you would have any problems either but do keep in mind NLR's question.

For the car rental, I would encourage you to call the location you plan to drop the car off to. Just because when you booked it they told you that it was OK does not mean the Enterprise location on the receiving end will actually accept it. I know that sounds silly but do make the call and confirm with the ACTUAL location, not just the folks on the 800 line. I have dropped cars off in Canada several times after renting in the U.S. but always check with the receiving location per the guidance given to me by a manager several years ago. You don't want to get stuck!

Heck they do that within the same state.

I had an enterprise drop car from one side of LA to another [Tustin, Ca to Fontana, Ca] and the receiving office was not too happy at all to receive the car. I told them to take it up with corporate, they went over the car with a fine comb so make sure you nit pick every scratch and ding on the car.

I had other one way rentals [near car dealerships and airports where it is more common] and never had an issue.

Edited by HollywoodNorth

Hollywood North

Former: TN1, H1B, O1 worker

Currently: FB-1: I-551 approved in MTL 04/04/16. Issued 04/06/16.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We did something similar last summer before we were married, and actually before we had even filed for the K-1 visa. It was actually the most trouble we had at a border crossing, but I imagine it would be even easier in your case.

In our case my fiancee flew from Toronto to NYC, stayed a week here, then we drove out to see her family in the Maritimes for a week, then drove back to NYC, then she flew back to Toronto the day after. We also brought another friend (American) along for the Maritimes trip. Crossing from Maine into New Brunswick at Calais, the poor CBSA girl in the first booth couldn't seem to figure out how we were all related or what we were going to be up to in Nova Scotia for a week, so she gave us a yellow slip and sent us inside to talk to another agent. We told our story again, more clearly this time (I guess?) to an agent inside, and 5 minutes later, we were on our way :)

Coming back in to the States we had absolutely no hassle... the CBP officer just asked my fiancee when she was returning to Canada (tomorrow) and how she was getting there (flying), and off we went.

Of course this was all in my own vehicle which I was driving each time, though I don't recall ever being asked about the ownership of the vehicle, except once when re-entering the US at Queenston-Lewiston. Of course they scan your plates when you enter the booth, so I'm not sure if they have something on their screen that pulls the vehicle registration which they can then match with your passport. But a copy of the rental agreement authorizing you to drive the car to Montreal should be sufficient in that case.

September 2014 - Met

October 2014 - Started dating

May 2015 - Engaged!

July 18, 2015 - Mailed I-129F petition

July 21, 2015 - Received by USCIS lockbox

July 23, 2015 - Email/Text notification, NOA1 Notice Date - July 27, 2015 - Hardcopy NOA1

August 6, 2015 - NOA2, I-129F petition approved!

August 7, 2015 - Email notification of approval

August 12, 2015 - Hardcopy NOA2

September 3, 2015 - Case # received from NVC, case sent to Montreal

September 15, 2015 - CEAC status updated

September 15, 2015 3:41 PM - Packet 3 sent to consulate pre-emptively

September 15, 2015 3:51 PM - Packet 4 received! Interview scheduled!

November 23, 2015 - Interview - APPROVED!!

November 30, 2015 - CEAC status updated to Issued

December 3, 2015 - Ready for Pickup at Post Office

December 9, 2015 - Visa in hand!

January 10, 2016 - POE - Peace Bridge, Buffalo NY

January 23, 2016 - MARRIED! durring a blizzard in Brooklyn :)

February 5, 2016 - Mailed AOS/AP/EAD applications

Spoiler

February 15, 2016 - NOA1 texts/emails received - February 25, 2016 - NOA1 hardcopies (Notice Date: Feb 11)

March 9, 2016 - Biometrics

April 18, 2016 - EAD/AP Approved

July 15, 2016 - I-485 Approved! No interview

July 29, 2016 - Green card received in mail - Done with USCIS for 1 year 9 months!

April 25, 2018 - Mailed I-751 Removal of Conditions

Spoiler

May 18, 2018 - Received NOA1/12mo GC extension

June 20, 2018 - Biometrics

August 6, 2018 - Received 18mo GC extension

April 29, 2019 - Text notification "Card is in production"

May 2, 2019 - "We mailed your new card"

May 6, 2019 - 10 year GC received!

November 1, 2019 - N-400 filed online

October 23, 2020 - Oath Ceremony. Our journey is done after 5 years, 3 months and 5 days.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It can take weeks to get the visa. Have you thought about what you'll do until you get the visa, passport,and package back?

Or are you both travelling back to Calgary to wait it out?

Well, they will take up Greg's passport, but he will just use his Nexus card to go back to Calgary from Montreal. I'm already a U.S. Citizen and my attorney says they aren't interviewing me, so I'll have my passport and be able to fly back to Texas the day after the interview.

He just needs his driver's license to fly within Canada.

No they aren't interviewing you, just wasn't sure if you guys were driving down with a uhaul like many of us do etc? Curiosity more than anything.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.