Jashley820

My K1 Interview is next week in Montreal...HELP

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Everyone! I just found this site today and it's fantastic. Thank you everyone for sharing your incredible stories, advice and support.

I found out yesterday via a letter from Montreal that my interview is in 1 week. They didn't give me very much notice!!

I have a couple of questions based on what I've read on the threads today, hopefully some of you have advice for me!

1) I was denied entry into the U.S. in August due to lack of ties. Do you know if they will ask about this and whether my visa will be compromised because of this? If you've had experience with this please share, thanks!

2) I read that people are bringing prior tax returns for thier USC Fiance...my packet/checklist only asked for the Notarized Affidavit, Bank letter, and letter from employer. Should I bring additional information i.e. pay stubs?? Have the rules changed?

3) I am also reading that people got their background check from the RCMP. My checklist said to get the background check from the regions that I have lived in since age 16. Therefore, I got it from Peel Regional Police. Did I do this wrong???

Any other information you can provide i.e. sample questions, potential areas of trouble, etc, would be great. I am an absolute wreck right now!!!

Thanks again!

J

AOS

AOS Package received in Chicago 4-25-07 (Day 1)

NOA 1 5-01-07 (Day 7)

Cheque Cashed 5-02-07 (Day 8)

Touched 5-04-07 (Day 10)

Biometrics Appointment 5-18-07 (Day 26)

Touched 5-21-07 (Day 29)

Transferred to CSC e-mail 5-25-07 (Day 33)

Touched 5-28-07 (Day 36)

Touched again...feels niiiice! 5-29-07 (Day 37)

Notice of CSC transfer via reg mail 6-01-07 (Day 40)

Touched; 'pending @ CSC' e-mail 6-07-07 (Day 46)

Touched 6-08-07 (Day 47)

Touched 6-10-07 (Day 49)

Touched 6-19-07 (Day 58)

Touched 6-20-07 (Day 59)

Touched 8-31-07 & 9-3-07

Card Production Ordered 10-01-07

Welcome Notice Sent 10-02-07

Lifting of Conditions

Sent 7/13/09

Received at CSC 7/14/09

NOA Receieved (Dated 7/14) 7/18/09

Biometrics Appointment 8/12/09

Touched 8/13/09

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi jenash and welcome

being turned away isnt an uncommon thing , be honest when/if asked and all should be fine.

if bringing tax returns makes you feel you can better substantiate your finacial case... then by all means bring them ....although they are not a requirement.

you're right on about the instructions for the police check and it would be my guess that as long as thats where you have lived straight time since you were 16 and you have never been arrested anywhere , then you should be good.

be glad you only have 1 week to fret and stress, check and recheck, obsess over details and drive your fiance nuts

all the best to you for your interview

:)

google.gif

Timeline

Thanks so much for the reassurance!

Hi jenash and welcome

being turned away isnt an uncommon thing , be honest when/if asked and all should be fine.

if bringing tax returns makes you feel you can better substantiate your finacial case... then by all means bring them ....although they are not a requirement.

you're right on about the instructions for the police check and it would be my guess that as long as thats where you have lived straight time since you were 16 and you have never been arrested anywhere , then you should be good.

be glad you only have 1 week to fret and stress, check and recheck, obsess over details and drive your fiance nuts

all the best to you for your interview

:)

AOS

NOA 1 5-01-07 (Day 7)

Touched 5-04-07 (Day 10)

Touched 5-21-07 (Day 29)

Touched 5-28-07 (Day 36)

Touched 6-08-07 (Day 47)

Touched 6-10-07 (Day 49)

Touched 6-19-07 (Day 58)

Touched 6-20-07 (Day 59)

Touched 8-31-07 & 9-3-07

Lifting of Conditions

Sent 7/13/09

Received at CSC 7/14/09

Touched 8/13/09

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

As Cutie stated others have beendenied entry into the USA and was not a problem, always tell the truth!! Just ensure ur police check states Canada Wide, and u should be fine. If not its a rather easy document to get,most places take less than a week to get, and if I recall, 1 VJ memeber had to rush from the consulate to the Mtl police Stn (rcmp??) and managed to get it done on the spot! But I'm old and my memory is going. Hopefully you have never had a criminal record. Criminial record = fingerprinting=many months of waiting. NO criminal record= no fingerprinting. Best of luck. Ensure u read the stickies on the K1 forum. and if u qualify, u can actualy Claim EI in the USA. Cheers

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

1. That won't affect your visa but were you honest when you filled out your DS-156 that you had been denied entry before? Just curious if you had checked "yes" to that or not.

2. Not sure about Montreal's specific requirements but always good to err on the side of caution. If you can get your USC fiance to Fedex you copies of their previous tax returns and previous W2s, that would be good.

3. What does your police certificate say? As long as it says "canada wide" or references checking the national registry, then you're fine (unless you have a criminal record in which case you need fingerprints).

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

1) I was denied entry into the U.S. in August due to lack of ties. Do you know if they will ask about this and whether my visa will be compromised because of this? If you've had experience with this please share, thanks!

nope - it's common

2) I read that people are bringing prior tax returns for thier USC Fiance...my packet/checklist only asked for the Notarized Affidavit, Bank letter, and letter from employer. Should I bring additional information i.e. pay stubs?? Have the rules changed?

I bought tax transcripts but as a requirement of the I-134. Have you completed your I-134? If you want, post what you are taking here - someone will be glad to look it over for you.

3) I am also reading that people got their background check from the RCMP. My checklist said to get the background check from the regions that I have lived in since age 16. Therefore, I got it from Peel Regional Police. Did I do this wrong???

You have to get a CANADA WIDE police check done. I did it at the Commissioners in Scarborough. Just make sure that the check you have states "Canada Wide" on it, or else you may want to get it done again.

Good luck and welcome to VJ

Monique

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

By the way ... have you checked out the embassy info and reviews here? ....

http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?letter=C

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Just wanted to add that my fiance had been denied entry to the U.S. He was asked about that in his interview in Vancouver and was honest. The officer there said that it was good that he was honest and that lots of people have been denied entry before. Just tell the truth and you have nothing to worry about :)

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Timeline

Oh my gosh you guys are outstanding. Thank you for all of your help! I am going to double (triple!) read all of Montreal's instructions to make sure I've done everything correctly. I am going to get the tax paperwork and other support documents from my Fiance just in case! I am sure glad I have been a good girl and have no criminal record, hahaha!

Just wanted to add that my fiance had been denied entry to the U.S. He was asked about that in his interview in Vancouver and was honest. The officer there said that it was good that he was honest and that lots of people have been denied entry before. Just tell the truth and you have nothing to worry about :)

AOS

NOA 1 5-01-07 (Day 7)

Touched 5-04-07 (Day 10)

Touched 5-21-07 (Day 29)

Touched 5-28-07 (Day 36)

Touched 6-08-07 (Day 47)

Touched 6-10-07 (Day 49)

Touched 6-19-07 (Day 58)

Touched 6-20-07 (Day 59)

Touched 8-31-07 & 9-3-07

Lifting of Conditions

Sent 7/13/09

Received at CSC 7/14/09

Touched 8/13/09

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.