coolluft

Passport Ready

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi Guys,

Please does anyone know how much time it takes for passport & packets to be ready at GSS collection center after visa is issued?

I am not able to track my passport online; should I just go to the GSS collection center to check for it or it is always trackable online?

The visa was issued yesterday morning at about 7:15 AM.

Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Congratulations! From what I understand they will send an email when your passport is ready for pick but the GSS office will tell you when you drop off the documents to come back for pick up in two week in most cases some have picked up their's sooner.

Can any confirm if they were sent an email to pick their passport?

Timeline

The GSS office told us to come back in 10 days to pick up the passport and it is now 10 days from when we dropped it off. I have not gotten any emails from them and also, I cannot track the passport on their web site.

I am thinking that they do not load all of the passports online as they should or have normally done.

Perhaps it would be best to just go to the office and see if it has arrived, right? We submitted on the 10th of Feb and it was issued on Feb 24th morning. It would be 10 business days Feb 25th.

Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello guys!

The people at the GSS Document Collection Center sometimes give wrong information. They told my wife her passport/visa would be ready for pick up in 10 business days after the status changed to issued. They were very wrong -- it was ready in 3 business days after her visa was issued.

The best way to know for sure when to pick up is contacting the embassy via email. Here is the email I sent to the embassy:

Dear Sir/Madam,
Just wanted to know when my wife's visa/passport would be available for pickup. It was issued on xxxxxxx. Her case number is : LGSXXXXXXXXXX. Her full name is: XXXXXXXXXXXX. I am her husband, the petitioner, XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
Thank you very much in advance for your prompt reply.
Best Regards,
XXXXXXXXXX
(It doesn't have to be worded exactly like that -- it's just an example).
For the subject of the email, you may write Case #, Applicant's full name, VISA/PASSPORT PICK UP
They replied the next day. Here is the reply:

Thank you for your email.

According to our records, her immigrant visa has been ready for pick up at the DHL PICKUP Facility/GSS Document Collection Center – DHL, Plot 230 Muri Okunola Street, Victoria Island, Lagos since XXXXXXXX.

Correspondence Unit (MAM)

US CONSULATE GENERAL

LAGOS, NIGERIA

In general though, visas/passports are ready for pick up in 3 business days after the status changes to issued.

Best!

Timeline

Thanks for your input. You are correct! I wrote them (the embassy) yesterday and got a response about 1 hour ago saying that the passport should be ready for pickup on Monday the 29th; which is exactly 3 business days from the "Issue" date.

It appears to be an accurate suggestion.

Thanks

Timeline

What is the status of your visa on the ceac.state.gov website?

Has it been issued? That is the best way to check first before counting the days from that Issue date. Ours was issued on the 24th.

Regards

Timeline

Confirmed, got an email today (from ustraveldocs) that ours is on the way to the collection center; available for pickup on Monday. 3 business days from "Issued" date.

@Nafisakauna, was yours "Issued" on ceac?

Timeline

You may visit this site and track your passport there:

ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-niv-passportretrieve.asp

If you are not sure whether the visa has been issued, check this site:

https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx

If need to ask a question, send an email to: LagosIV@state.gov

That is for immigrant visas. It takes about 2 days for you to get a response.

• 5 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.