4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I was married on 2/16/07, but I still have not received the actual official certificate from the city (we got married at the county recorders office). They did give us a copy of the certificate, but it has a watermark/stamp all across the document stating that it is just the customer copy. I am not sure if this will suffice as evidence of the marriage for filing for AOS. Is it? Or should I wait until I get the official one in the mail? Is there a deadline to file?

Secondly, although I have read the threads on getting an SSN, am I correct to assume that I can indeed go and try to get my lady her SSN after we have married? From the looks of it the only things that hinder getting the SSN are doing it too soon after arriving in the U.S. or doing it too soon to the date the visa expires (2 weeks prior). Then the only problem is having to go change the name once the marriage has taken place to match the new last name taken (if a female is applying). I am correct? Do I need the official certificate to get the SSN for my lady?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Filed: Timeline

There is no deadline for filing AOS.... so wait for the marriage certificate to arrive.... as for getting the SSN you will need the marriage certificate if you want it to be in her married name... if not then she can go and get it now using her maiden name and the I-94 & K1.....

Kez

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi everyone,

I was married on 2/16/07, but I still have not received the actual official certificate from the city (we got married at the county recorders office). They did give us a copy of the certificate, but it has a watermark/stamp all across the document stating that it is just the customer copy. I am not sure if this will suffice as evidence of the marriage for filing for AOS. Is it? Or should I wait until I get the official one in the mail? Is there a deadline to file?

Secondly, although I have read the threads on getting an SSN, am I correct to assume that I can indeed go and try to get my lady her SSN after we have married? From the looks of it the only things that hinder getting the SSN are doing it too soon after arriving in the U.S. or doing it too soon to the date the visa expires (2 weeks prior). Then the only problem is having to go change the name once the marriage has taken place to match the new last name taken (if a female is applying). I am correct? Do I need the official certificate to get the SSN for my lady?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Hello! Hope this can help.

My husband and I got our marriage certificate with a county seal on it, a marriage license, and a copy of an application for marriage right away from the county clerk after our civil wedding ceremony. If it takes time and you haven't still received it in the mail, maybe you can make a follow up about that at your county. As marriage certificate/license are one of the primary evidence required in filing for AOS. Although there is no deadline in filing for AOS as long as your have been married within 90 days, but it is better to file your AOS as soon as possible when you gathered all your required documents.

Regarding getting SSN, I got my SSN before my marriage as it had always been asked for any legal transactions here in the U.S, so my name on it was my maiden name, and after marriage, I went back to SSA to let my maiden name be changed to my marriage name, and the evidence they required is my marriage license, and they sent the new card after a week, it was not difficult though. The most required documents in getting SSN, are passport with U.S. Visa and I-94, birth certificate, marriage license( if already married). As additional just bring electric or gas bill with your address on it, or mails, as they will going to ask for the current mailing address and also about your phone number. God bless...

So .. about the SSN ...

People have posted (and yes, recent posts) that they have had great difficulty acquiring the SSN after marriage. Reason being because SS may now believe you to be a K3 instead of a K1 as you are already married.

Regardless of their thinking, some have been advised to file for a SSN under the maiden name, say nothing about being married and then change the card after the greencard is issued.

If I can find the link, I will post it, however, the search function is acting up for me now.

I'm sure others will advise on this.

Mo

OK.. quick edit.. found two posts you may want to read:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58406

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57700

Edited by mozplay

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.