jassan

DS156/156K Questions

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Azerbaijan
Timeline

Anyone willing to give this a look through, blessings be upon you.

Disclaimer: I've looked at the examples and crossed checked her's with them. Still I want to be sure. Perhaps I'm over analyzing.

Pursuing K3.

My wife filled the form and is asking me to review them. Now I'm awash with jitters and trying to be circumspect as possible.

1. For both the DS156/DS156k - are they to be filled in English or Native language for her name?

DS156k

Question 4c: How was marriage terminated? Answer N/A? - We're married presently.

Question 4d: If presently married, how will you marry your US citizen fiance? Explain - Don't get this at all.

Attach evidence of financial support - I assume attach the I-134 affidavit of support (they use the I-134)?

DS156

2. My wife's passport is in two languages - Do we will fill out her personal details in English as they appear in her passport?

3. Any question that there is no answer for, is it safe to put N/A?

Question 14 - National identification number? Don't know what that is. I assume N/A?

Question 16 - Home phone, etc. Do we include full phone - country code, city code, home number? Also, it asks for fax, business, pager - would this be her office phone at her place of employment?

Question 22 - Expected date to arrive in the US - How is this handled? She wants to fly her as soon as possible once the visa is approved, but god knows when that date is.

Question 25 - Name & telephone numbers of persons in the US who you will be staying with or visiting for tourism or business in the US? She's not visiting, nor coming for business or tourism - What do we put?

Question 26 - How long you intend to stay in US? Answer Permanently - is it acceptable?

Question 27 - Purpose of trip? Rejoin Spouse and Relocation to USA - is it acceptable?

Question 33 - Do you intend to the study in the US? My wife wishes to study after coming her, but she has not applied nor been accepted to any university. She's not coming specifically to study. Should I answer Yes or no, and what explanation?

Question 36 - Has anyone filed an immigrant visa petition on your behalf? I assume the answer is yes here, because it was I that submitted the I-130/I-129 petitions to start the K3 process. Correct?

Question 37 - Are any of the following persons in the US? Another tricky one.. Husband - Check yes and state USC (abbreviate US citizen) There's the fiance box - Were married already - check no here, correct?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Is your wife required to fill out a DS-156K? From what I understand it's just for fiances. The consulate I'm going through here in Canada doesn't require it for K3 applicants.

1. Fill out in English. The form says "as in passport" and since hers is bilingual, use the English.

2. Fill out in English as it appears in her passport.

3. Use "NONE" or "N/A" depending on the question.

Question 14 - Some countries have National Identification Numbers. If she doesn't have it, put N/A. On my form, it actually says "if applicable".

Question 16 - I would put the full international phone. Include only the numbers she has. So if her fax is at her work, include that. If there isn't any, put NONE.

Question 22 - I just estimated a date. I don't think it's that important what date is put in.

Question 25 - I put in my USC Husband's name and addresss.

Question 26 - I put in Permanently upon visa issuance.

Question 27 - I put in Reunification with spouse.

Question 33 - I think I would put in no since that is not her primary reason for the visa.

Question 36 - I put in "yes" and put in "husband" because of the I-130.

Question 37 - Check "Yes" to husband, put in US Citizen and the rest are "no" unless she has other relatives in the U.S.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

>> 1. For both the DS156/DS156k - are they to be filled in English or Native language for her name?

Fill Out names in english except for the questions that specifically say to fill in Native Language.

>>DS156k

>> Question 4c: How was marriage terminated? Answer N/A? - We're married presently.

>> Question 4d: If presently married, how will you marry your US citizen fiance? Explain - Don't get this at all.

Are they making you fill out the DS-156K? I ask that cause the DS-156K title is Fiancee Visa Application, so al ot of the questions are geared for couples that are not married.

>> Attach evidence of financial support - I assume attach the I-134 affidavit of support (they use the I-134)?

I don't know if they use it for a K-3 or not, I assume so. But all supporting docs also.

DS156

>>2. My wife's passport is in two languages - Do we will fill out her personal details in English as they appear in her >>passport?

I think so.

>> 3. Any question that there is no answer for, is it safe to put N/A?

N/A or NONE whichever applies

>>Question 14 - National identification number? Don't know what that is. I assume N/A?

Or leave it blank

>> Question 16 - Home phone, etc. Do we include full phone - country code, city code, home number? Also, it asks for >> fax, business, pager - would this be her office phone at her place of employment?

Whatever applies

>Question 22 - Expected date to arrive in the US - How is this handled? She wants to fly her as soon as possible once >the visa is approved, but god knows when that date is.

Soon after visa is approved.

>Question 25 - Name & telephone numbers of persons in the US who you will be staying with or visiting for tourism or >business in the US? She's not visiting, nor coming for business or tourism - What do we put?

Person she will be staying with: YOUR NAME

>>Question 26 - How long you intend to stay in US? Answer Permanently - is it acceptable?

Yes

>>Question 27 - Purpose of trip? Rejoin Spouse and Relocation to USA - is it acceptable?

Yes

>>Question 33 - Do you intend to the study in the US? My wife wishes to study after coming her, but she has not >>applied nor been accepted to any university. She's not coming specifically to study. Should I answer Yes or no, and >>what explanation?

Course of study has not been decided yet.

>>Question 36 - Has anyone filed an immigrant visa petition on your behalf? I assume the answer is yes here, because i>>t was I that submitted the I-130/I-129 petitions to start the K3 process. Correct?

I would put NO, because I think they are talking about previous filings.

>>Question 37 - Are any of the following persons in the US? Another tricky one.. Husband - Check yes and state USC >> (abbreviate US citizen) There's the fiance box - Were married already - check no here, correct?

Yes, you can type out US Citizen, I think it fits in the space.

Thats what I would do but use your judgement cause I could be wrong.

Good Luck!

NOA1 - 12/21/15

NOA2 - 04/18/16

NVC Receive - 04/29/16

NVC Welcome - 05/13/16

DS-261 - 05/14/16

AOS, IV PAID - 05/27/16

DS260 done - 06/10/16

Case Transferred to US Embassy in Riga Latvia at the end of October.

If you really want it, you'll find a way!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.