antda

Canadian Passport Dilemma...

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Good luck on your immigration journeys! Anyways, I was wondering...

My Canadian passport will expire before (next year) I can apply for US Citizenship (in two years). Should I bother applying for a new Canadian passport beforehand, even though I might not need it for travel? Or should I just wait it out until I get US Citizenship for a US Passport?

I'm now basically left with the following options:

a) In the USA: Get the observation stamp with the observation/note about my new married name on it (from what I read on another VJ post, this can be done) at the Canadian Embassy here in the USA, in my Canadian passport (which costs about $12 USD) and continue using my current Canadian passport that has my old maiden name on it. Wait until 2 years later to apply for an American passport in my married name (which costs about $90 USD for 10 years).

b ) In the USA: Forget about any stamps or anything. Just use my current Canadian passport in my old maiden last name. Wait until 2 years later to apply for an American passport (which costs about $90 USD for 10 years)

c) In the USA: Mail out my current Canadian passport and apply for a new Canadian passport ($90 CDN for 5 years). Then wait until 2 years later to apply for an American passport in my married name (which costs about $90 USD for 10 years). The only problem with that is that I'm afraid that the application for the Canadian passport will get lost in the mail (yes, even by courier too, as I've had stuff misdirected by courier before and courier is quite costly too) and since I have no other way of getting another Canadian Citizenship Card, I wouldn't be able to get a new Citizenship Card to apply for a Canadian passport if it happens to get lost.

d) In Canada: Make a short day trip to Canada before my passport expires. Apply for a new passport there (about $90 CDN for 5 years). Then wait until 2 years later to apply for an American passport in my married name (which costs about $90 USD for 10 years). The only problem with that is that I rarely go to Canada, and even if I do go, it could cost me and extra $30 in gas, plus an extra 6 hours in traffic for each trip, which is a waste of time and money.

Which option would be the best for me, based on the above listed choices?

By the way, does anyone know how long it takes to get a Canadian passport, just in case of any emergencies (lol..as that's the only one I can get now if ever I do need a passport before US Citizenship)? On an emergency basis, can one apply for a Canadian passport here in-person in the USA at the Canadian Embassy and how long would that take?

As well, has anyone ever applied for a Canadian passport before "in lieu of a guarrantor"? If so, does that delay the process and by how long will it delay it by? Lol...Apparently, I don't know any guarrantors here in the USA for two years required time, nor do I have any contact anymore with any potential guarrantors in Canada....

Any other suggestions, ideas, or thoughts appreciated too. Thanks.

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I answered in your other thread but I would go with the courier route. At work use UPS to send sensitive financial documents to people in the U.S. and so far, nothing lost. Which courier company did you use?

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Lol...likewise, I replied in my other thread too, but I'll post my response to you here too, just in case...

Hi Misa,

Thanks for your reply about option C. I'll think about that option further. Now all I have to figure out is: Where the heck do I find a guarrantor here in the USA?

I'm glad that UPS worked for you when mailing documents from the USA. In answer to your question, I was the one in Canada on the receiving end of the misdirected mail. I don't know which company the sender used in the USA, but I can tell you that I spent two weeks or so chasing Puralator for a package, as they had some policy about not delivering to certain buildings, then they couldn't get a hold of me as my number was unlisted, and then they had to reroute the package from one pickup location to another..Grrr...Luckily I knew about the package beforehand from the sender, tracked it down. and picked it up. And yes, I did eventually get that package in the mail...I also had problems too in Canada with Canada Post, where the mail that I sent was never delivered to the right place and/or not delivered in time....

Ant

I answered in your other thread but I would go with the courier route. At work use UPS to send sensitive financial documents to people in the U.S. and so far, nothing lost. Which courier company did you use?

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

As far as the lieu of guarantor, I don't think that it will delay the actual processing, just that you need to get the form from a Canada government office in the U.S. and sworn in front of someone there (if I'm reading it correctly):

http://www.pptc.gc.ca/usa/guarantor.aspx?lang=e

Declaration in lieu of guarantor

If you have not known an eligible guarantor for at least two years, complete form PPTC 132 "Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor" available from any Passport Canada service location or Canadian Government office in the U.S.

The "Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor" form must be sworn to or declared before, and signed by, a person authorized by law to administer an oath or a solemn declaration. If completed outside Canada, a qualified official includes a Canadian or British diplomatic or consular representative, or a qualified local official.

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

Timeline

Okay another thing, you can have a U.S. guarantor as well:

Eligible guarantors

Your guarantor must:

1. Be a citizen of Canada or the United States and must be accessible to Passport Canada for verification.

2. Have known you personally for at least two years.

3. Be one of the following:

* Chiropractor

* Dentist

* Judge

* Lawyer

* Magistrate

* Medical doctor

* Notary public (notarial seal must appear on the application form)

* Pharmacist

* Police officer

* Signing officer of a bank or trust company, or of a financial institution that offers the full range of banking services (cash withdrawals, deposits and savings)

* Veterinarian

AOS & EAD Timeline

Just want to take the opportunity to say (as I did in a recent thread) that IF you were thinking of simply living passport-less for a year or so that that would not be a great idea. It's important to always have a valid passport.

Mo

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

and IMO, you should always keep your Canadian passport up to date, even if you get naturalized and have a US passport. There are still countries on the planet that will let you in easier with a Canadian passport than a US one. Peter Jennings never gave up his Canadian passport, for just that reason. My Aunt as well. She's got 3. UK, Canada and US, and keeps them all current.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

After serving in the Military for nearly 15 yrs and been around the world, I would rather travel on a Canadian passport than an American one. On some port visits, that would include the American battle group, many yanks would like to get hold of Canadian flag pins and wear them!! Get treated better and better shopping discounts!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Hi Misa and Everyone Else,

Thanks for your reply about the "lieu of guarantor". Do you or anyone else know if I can download this "lieu of guarantor" form from the internet? So as long as I swear/gives an oath and signs this form "lieu of guarantor", in front of that official, then it doesn't matter how many years I've known them? Hmmm..in that case, I guess I could get it the application done here in the USA. Lol...the situation I was having was that I knew potential guarantors here in the USA, but I did not know them long enough. But I guess the "lieu of guarantor" form solves that issue, right?

And yes, I did know about the list of eligible guarantors (and they can include US Citizens too, so I've read) too. But thanks for posting that again as a reminder for me and for others too.

Ant

As far as the lieu of guarantor, I don't think that it will delay the actual processing, just that you need to get the form from a Canada government office in the U.S. and sworn in front of someone there (if I'm reading it correctly):

http://www.pptc.gc.ca/usa/guarantor.aspx?lang=e

Declaration in lieu of guarantor

If you have not known an eligible guarantor for at least two years, complete form PPTC 132 "Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor" available from any Passport Canada service location or Canadian Government office in the U.S.

The "Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor" form must be sworn to or declared before, and signed by, a person authorized by law to administer an oath or a solemn declaration. If completed outside Canada, a qualified official includes a Canadian or British diplomatic or consular representative, or a qualified local official.

Eligible guarantors

Your guarantor must:

1. Be a citizen of Canada or the United States and must be accessible to Passport Canada for verification.

* Chiropractor

* Dentist

* Judge

* Lawyer

* Magistrate

* Medical doctor

* Pharmacist

* Police officer

* Signing officer of a bank or trust company, or of a financial institution that offers the full range of banking services (cash withdrawals, deposits and savings)

* Veterinarian

Hi Neja and Everyone Else,

Good luck on your immigration journey. Thanks for your reply. How was your experience in having the form signed by the US notary? Did they give you or your notary any problems? Did they contact the notary to verify the information? Did they ask you or the notary any other questions? Did the notary charge a fee for notarizing your application? Did your notary have to sign the back of the passport picture or any other documents besides the application and "in lieu of guarantor" forms?

Glad you got your Canadian passport though (and very quickly too).

Ant

I used the "in lieu of guarantor form" and had it signed by a US notary and then mailed it in. I had my new passport mailed back to me in about 10 business days.
Edited by AntandD

Hi Mo, Reba, Flames, and Everyone Else,

Good luck on your immigration journeys. I agree about having a valid passport, especially when that's needed for travel out of the US. And now with the stricter travel requirements, this is especially needed too. Yeah, I've heard of the "Carrying the Canadian Flag/Canadian Passport" thing when travelling to certain countries that aren't American-friendly. Don't think I'll be travelling to any of those places though, but still, if I am still a Canadian Citizen entitled to a Canadian passport, then why not have one? The main things that bothered me about my Canadian passport was that it is still in my maiden last name (which I hate) and I would like it in my married last name (which I like) and that it will expire soon. I would prefer having everything in my new married name anyways. Either way, I'll end up with a current passport (whether it is a Canadian one, an American one, or a Canadian one and American one). Lol...As for a third passport (ok, sort of hypothetical situation here), I could have gotten one, but the country I was born in does not accept dual/triple citizenship (that's another story). Still, later on having two valid passports (or one valid passport for that matter) is good enough for me.

And yes, despite it all, I am looking forward to getting an American passport too!

Ant

Mo

Just want to take the opportunity to say (as I did in a recent thread) that IF you were thinking of simply living passport-less for a year or so that that would not be a great idea. It's important to always have a valid passport.

Reba

and IMO, you should always keep your Canadian passport up to date, even if you get naturalized and have a US passport. There are still countries on the planet that will let you in easier with a Canadian passport than a US one. Peter Jennings never gave up his Canadian passport, for just that reason. My Aunt as well. She's got 3. UK, Canada and US, and keeps them all current

Flames

After serving in the Military for nearly 15 yrs and been around the world, I would rather travel on a Canadian passport than an American one. On some port visits, that would include the American battle group, many yanks would like to get hold of Canadian flag pins and wear them!! Get treated better and better shopping discounts!!

Edited by AntandD

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Eligible guarantors

Your guarantor must:

* Chiropractor

* Dentist

* Judge

* Lawyer

* Magistrate

* Medical doctor

* Pharmacist

* Police officer

* Veterinarian

I was just going to mention that......

my passport expires at the end of this year and I was wondering if I use a Notary Public, does that person have to have known me for 2 years?? :unsure:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Eligible guarantors

Your guarantor must:

* Chiropractor

* Dentist

* Judge

* Lawyer

* Magistrate

* Medical doctor

* Pharmacist

* Police officer

* Veterinarian

my passport expires at the end of this year and I was wondering if I use a Notary Public, does that person have to have known me for 2 years?? :unsure:

No. I've used bank NP's seal twice before (1992 and 1997; 2002 I renewed while in Calgary).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Eligible guarantors

Your guarantor must:

* Chiropractor

* Dentist

* Judge

* Lawyer

* Magistrate

* Medical doctor

* Pharmacist

* Police officer

* Veterinarian

No. I've used bank NP's seal twice before (1992 and 1997; 2002 I renewed while in Calgary).

ok, thanks

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.